Friday, November 4, 2011

I have the math skills of a 2 year old

Wait- that isn't fair to 2 year old children. They're just discovering numbers. Well I was so proud of myself for getting ALL the pieces of this quilt cut out. This the cover quilt, Dazzling Stars, from the Dec/Jan 2012 issue of Quilt magazine. I'm using my Debbie Mumm fabrics for this one.



With ALL my squares and triangle cut and waiting for me I figured I would push fabric through the sewing machine in a blissful stupor for hours last night. But first I started arranging some of the blocks on my design wall and it took no time at all to realize I am woefully short of several units.



I still need to cut over 50 half square triangle units and more than 60 3" square units. And since I want this to be scrappy it means I need to go back through my stacks of fabric which I neatly fold and returned to their assigned positions in my Debbie Stash. Grrrrr.... now if I had left the fabrics in a heap on the floor I'll bet I wouldn't be short any pieces. The amounts I have left to cut bear no resemblance to what I needed. It isn't like I forgot to cut half or a quarter of what I needed, I'm just short these random amounts. And I counted as I cut and left myself little hash mark notes, so as far as I can tell it isn't that I can't add or subtract, I can't count!!

Oh well to cheer myself up I made a trip to Joanns and found these...



a new Denyse Schmidt line call Daisy Mae. I haven't seen them anywhere on the web or heard anything about this line. There were 16 bolts at my Joanns. I didn't get all of them because a couple didn't talk to me (they talk to you too, don't they?). But I did get 3 yards of that green on the left - love it!

Have a great weekend-
carol fun

10 comments:

  1. How frustrating.......I know, I've been there! "sigh" Beautiful fabrics! Some also speak louder than others to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me get this straight. You didn't figure correctly in your cutting and as a reward for not screaming you bought more fabric. Cool - I like the way you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep....I'll admit, I've had those two year old moments too! Usually I have some milk and cookies, then take a nap! I like your method of going for more stash!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No worries, my math is not much better....love your fabric from JoAnn's...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, there's nothing like some new stash to make you feel better! And lovely new stash it is too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I've done that many times...think I'm keeping good track of what I cut...make a hash mark for the same cut twice...or not at all...it's not as easy as it seems...LOL! Glad you had fun at Joann's...love that new fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was making a quilt last year that had numerous flying geese units. I cut them all out and sewed away for a few days. One morning I got up all ready to sew (I was almost done) and I was 18 units short. I couldn't believe it, I had been so careful in my cutting and calculations. After looking everywhere, I cut out more and sewed them together. I then found the original units on my settee, they were the same colors as the quilt that is on it - so I couldn't see them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Carol, for commenting on my blog as it gave me the opportunity to find your blog. (grin) I love the name of your blog. Don't you love going to JoAnns? I made a deal with myself that I wouldn't go shopping there any more, unless I had a plan. Well, I had a plan, so I had such a good time yesterday. Spent about 3 hours in our local shop. The workers there are so nice. I love it. I can't tell you how many times I have thought I had everything cut out for a quilt, only to find I was short on certain units. It happens. Of course, for me, it also happens that I go ahead and cut more units, only to find the first ones already cut out and just misplaced under a pile of fabric. LOL Pretty fabrics you got. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh bless your heart. I feel your pain. :0) That is going to be a gorgeous quilt. And such fun new fabrics. I am green with envy of you ladies who have a Joanns near by. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. At least you cut them the right size... cutting more is doable, but cutting the wrong size just bums me out. Fabric shopping therapy! You are a wise woman!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com