Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year on this Sampler Sunday!

Another year begins and I have a little piece to show that sums up a philosophy I truly believe in.....



Sewing mends the soul! At least it mends mine! I am so grateful that as a young girl I was taught how to sew and crochet which lead to making quilts, clothes, cross stitch, knitting and lots of other crafty things. When I'm involved in a creative project it makes me feel good inside and out.

This is the Blackbird Design, Ann's Sewing Tray, from their book A Schoolgirl's Work. I used the recommended overdyed flosses and a piece of linen from my stash. There are several small pieces in this book that I want to stitch. I already have a couple kitted up and waiting to be started.



I like this frame for this piece. It has a bit of a patina to it that complements the stitching - IMHO.

As a young child I was told that the way you spend New Year's Day is how you'll spend the rest of the year, so today I ate lunch at a restaurant and I'm having carryout for dinner. I've knitted, I've cross stitched, I sewed up a quilt block and I took a little nap. Notice I didn't cook or clean. I would like this day to repeat itself on many many many occasions throughout 2012.

Thank you to all who read this crazy little blog. I appreciate you stopping by and love reading your comments. I hope that 2012 brings the best of everything to all our lives!

Happy stitching-
carol fun

10 comments:

  1. What a pretty piece! Wishing you and your family a wonderful 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well--I have cross stitched, sewed, napped, ate chocolate, loved on kitty, talked on phone (which I really dislike to do!!!!)and hand quilted--and will probably knit before bed--oh and I should read a chapter or two, then tooooo!!!!
    But I did do dishes--but I do like a clean sink--soooooo!!!!
    I hope you know that you got me into alot of work for this coming year!!!
    I joined the 'crazy 2012 challenge'--where we start a new counted cross stitch pattern each day for the first 15 days of Jan.. then we have the rest of the year to finish them in whatever order we want tooooo?????
    Got a good start on my first one today--
    not sure if it will get posted to day or tomorrow?????
    the one I won from you, Wash day--is on the list--I had started it--but need to 'frog' it and start over again--????
    happy New Years, and lots of stitching to you--
    Hugs, Di and miss gracie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy, Happy New Year! It looks like you had a great start to the new year. We spent time with family and pets...played games with the kids, ate and went to church. Looking forward to much more of that in 2012! Wishing you nothing but the best in the year ahead. Lots of hugs...Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have had a fun start to the new year. All the best for the next 365!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your stitchery. I wish I could figure out how to do that on linen. I get so confused. lol That is a great book isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Carol - the colors on your latest sampler are so lovely - and the sentiment so true for you. I did enjoy the way you spent New Years Day. My maternal grandmother and HER mother were huge fans of eating out (rather than cooking) - we always joked that it came down through the maternal line from the woman who crossed the Oregon Trail in 1852 - eating out each night!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet sampler Carol!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learned the same New Year's Day mantra years ago...therefore no cleaning or laundry in my house on New Year's...LOL! Hope 2012 is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are my long lost sister!!!! I, too, love eating out and no cleaning. So on 1-1-12 I got up late, ate breakfast at home, lunch and dinner out. I read blogs, shopped, did some work on a quilt block, had a candy bar (which did not make my blood sugar go up because I had a light lunch... Hurray!), played some video games, and went to bed after midnight. Not a bad way to spend the rest of the year.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If the way I spent New Year's Day is the way I will spend the rest of the year it can only mean two things. 1. I'll be spending a lot of time in church and putting puzzles together with my husband, or 2. the New Year is going to be very puzzling ~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com