Friday, September 6, 2013

Crazy socks....crazy life

So the last week hasn't provided much opportunity for fun pursuits but I did manage to knit up another pair of crazy socks. I think these socks are a metaphor for my life at the moment, because at every corner some other crazy crisis has reared its head.

Like the first pair of crazy socks this pair is an amalgamation of bits and bobs left over from other sock knitting projects.


I love this pair as much as the first pair I did, and that's saying a lot since I'm not normally big on purple. I do like the bits of olive and teal and orange and gold. I think they are nice accents. A couple of people asked how was was dealing with all the joins and I'm just tying the yarns together. I tie a knot when I add a new yarn but I don't tie it tightly. Then after I've knit a bit further I snug the knot up a bit and when I'm totally finished if it needs a bit more slack taken out I re-tie it and then weave in the ends. I found this video - you can see it here - which shows a sort of double slip knot that claims it won't come apart and you don't have any ends to weave in. Well, I'm a bit skeptical. I've tried tying it this way but it doesn't always work for me, and I'm leery of no ends, so I weave my in at the end. Yes it takes a while but I'm a sort of belts and suspenders kinda gal and I like knowing if something did come undone I'd have yarn to fix it. I do think that I will hand wash these socks instead of tossing them in the washer like I do with most of my socks, but I will still just dry them in the dryer.

And and update for those of you who are still following the saga of my house renovation - on the plus side the new front door was put on and I LOVE it, and the hardwood floors were sanded. And they should have been stained and polyurethaned by now but there was another setback. A faucet in the upstairs bathroom was left on slightly and the drain stopper was pulled shut and you know where this is going.... the sink overflowed onto the bathroom floor and out into the hallway of sanded yet unfinished hardwood, soaked through to the ceiling below and onto the new laminate in the basement causing a portion to buckle. All work on the hardwood stopped so it could dry out and we're hoping for the laminate to dry out and flatten or it will have to be replaced - about 1/3 of the room - arghh!!!

And in my current home the AC had something freeze up, which caused something else to back up and leak water all over the carpet in the finished basement. Waiting for AC repair guy as I type.

And my husband got released from the hospital with a sheaf of prescriptions, the most important of which was a channel blocker. Filling said prescription for the channel blocker involve paying out of pocket for 18 pills at $10 a pills - $180 - since at 9pm in the local pharmacy the insurance company refused to pay for the medication. Trying again the next day to get this out of pocket covered and obtain the additional 66 pills he needed without paying $10 a pill,involved dozens calls to the pharmacy (who were very helpful), his primary care doctor, his neurosurgeon and the insurance company who was exasperating!!!! I spent over 20 hours trying to get this resolved and get him more medication. His instructions when he was released were to avoid stress, I wish I had been given the same instructions. Oh the $10 a pill meds - never did get covered - ended up with a different prescription that cost a grand total of $16 -- I just about screamed!



Happy knitting-
carol fun

13 comments:

  1. I would have screamed too! And balled up the socks and suffocated the insurance company while I was at it. Except your socks are far too wonderful for something like that! Love all those colors and I hope you guys can relax and your husband has all the right meds now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy.....'nough said....sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used the Magic Knot to make a washcloth of odd bits of yarn. I was amazed that the knots are nearly undetectable when you handle the cloth. Love your socks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the socks! The black really makes them pop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You deserve something special for all you're going through. You are amazing (and so are those socks).

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a mess! when it rains, it pours, in more ways than one. Hope everything starts going smoother, so life can move on. Love the socks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life has sure been throwing you some curves!!I hope things get much simpler very soon. The socks are great as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your socks. They are an inspiration to me, a new knitter who is making her first socks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Carol....i love your socks! If my life were unraveling like yours seems to be today, I think I would put those socks on, with my shorts, pour a glass of ice tea and sit, even though the weather man promises 100+. Sending you hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Carol....i love your socks! If my life were unraveling like yours seems to be today, I think I would put those socks on, with my shorts, pour a glass of ice tea and sit, even though the weather man promises 100+. Sending you hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh dear . . . i have a very bad case of sock envy~!

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com