Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The REAL Studio Tour - Storage Ideas

Vicki Welsh of Field Trips in Fibers is hosting a link up party to share your storage ideas in your sewing room. Check out all the great ideas here.

When I was planning my new sewing space I knew I wanted to include as much storage as I possibly could. I have been pretty successful with this and have most of my work areas doing double duty.

Here is my ironing area.


The top is a an oversized piece of plywood - 23" X 55". I covered it with several layers of batting and then a layer of that silver ironing board cover material. On top of that I stapled a fun twill fabric from Moda that has tape measures on it in my favorite shade of yellow. The bottom part of this unit is a 9 cube bookcase from Closetmaid. You can see it here. I got mine and the fabric bins on sale at Target. Lots of storage for fabric and odds and ends.

And this is my cutting table.


It is a kitchen island from IKEA called Stenstorp. You can see it here. I love the butcher block top, it offers a nice solid surface for cutting. And underneath there are two shelves that hold more bins for storage. The bins came from the kids department of IKEA, they are called Kusiner. I have patterns and rulers tucked into these.

The biggest bin is 10 X 14 - you can see it here. And the littler ones are 10 X 7 - you can see them here. I've turned these bins around so the mesh sides with the numbers are to the back side of the shelf.


I'm also very fond of the large - the 2 gallon size - with the slider top ziploc storage bags for corralling projects.


You can fit a layer cake or a jelly roll even two or three, the pattern and the border fabric for a quilt in one of these.


And I like the the small Sterlite storage boxes - the ones with a latch handle. This one is about 22 qts. I get them at Walmart.  I have a ton of these and like them because you can't load them so heavy that you can't pick them up.



I have lots and lots and lots and lots of storage containers in my home. My theory is that you can have more stuff if you keep it organized. Now possibly this is my way of justifying my borderline hoarding tendencies but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Oh I do love my stuff!

Happy stitching-
carol fun

7 comments:

  1. I love your stuff too! I need storage ideas. Can you believe I've not been to Ikea yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it all ~ especially the clear bins, so one can see what is in them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am learning to do just as you have...lots of storage containers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all the storage, but especially love the cutting table and ironing station. Just wondering though, do the plastic storage containers have that strong plastic smell that you can't get rid of? I bought some that have such a strong odor that I can't even get it out of the fabric I had stored in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your ironing surface is wonderful. Love the red and use of all available space.
    LEeAnna Paylor
    lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com