Sunday, June 15, 2014

Now that was a quick one on Slow Stitching Sunday

Now this was a quick little sampler - My Heart's Desire - the second release in the Blackbird Designs Abecedarian Series. `It finished at a petite 6.25" wide and 8" tall. I spent less than 2 weeks on this one and that may be a record finish time for me - LOL!  The colors in this first pic are a bit off, it isn't as blue as it is reading, more turquoise and beige.  The second and third pictures are truer to life.



Love the motifs- those ones that look like quilt blocks and the tulip-y flowers and the hearts - all favorites of mine. As for the color palette of the flosses, I'm underwhelmed. Too pale and monochromatic but when it hangs with the other pieces in the series I'm sure it will shine.



The further along I stitched the more I found myself substituting the GA Mountain Mist for the GA Lexington Green. The Mountain Mist is a lovely dusty turquoise and every skein of Lexington Green I've ever had is just colorless. I love the way it looks on the cover of the sampler but I know I've bought at least 4 skeins of it and mine are all just blah. I worked in my sons' initials and the C in the middle is for me. Those little crowns are pretty. There was another one to stitch but I'd had all of the over one I could stand by then.



Again I substituted a large Smyrna cross for the eyelet stitches and I like the way it makes the heart stand out. I'm ready to dive into a new sampler, something with more color. I think I have everything I need to do Forget me Not, it is number three in the series and features some lovely blue flosses. But what is really calling my name is this one...



this is number 11 in the series and is called Summer Harvest. I love that big basket of fruit and that it is another more horizontal sampler, like Rosy Morn.  I will be getting my auto ship on it hopefully this week.

Well the weather yesterday was gorgeous,  temps in the 70's and no humidity, I should have planted my flowers then, but noooooo I waited till today when it is upper 80s -yuck. But I did get 3 big pots planted and stuck the left over marigolds in the ground. Originally I had planned to do a border of marigolds around my bushes and then I realized I would be out there watering non stop.  I estimated that there is about 50 linear feet of border and that would be a LOT of marigolds. Instead I potted  them up with some other foliage I picked up at the garden center. I 'll take some pictures later after I've recovered from my heat stroke - LOL!


Happy stitching!
carol fun

10 comments:

  1. What lovely pieces you are stitching. Doesn't it make you cross when the colours of the pattern aren't the same as on the skeins! You seem to have worked around that though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic finish! Thanks for linking up and sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to cross stitch, not sure my eyes can still enjoy it. Love your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Cross stitch! Lovely finish! xo jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe how small that is! That makes me appreciate your stitching (and eyesight) even more. I think the sampler looks so vintage. I love vintage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sampler is just beautiful!!!! I really like the look of Summer Harvest. But there is rarely a BBD that I don't love. Good luck with the marigolds!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so pretty! :)
    Been spoiled here too as to weather though I see from the forecast that humidity and high temps are on their way, ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a pretty sampler Carol - nice soft colors. Can't wait to see your garden photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely finish Carol! I really like the muted vintagey feel of this sampler. Summer Harvest looks like it will be a fun stitch and in time for Summer!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com