Wednesday, December 31, 2014

A blatant example of why I don't make New Year's resolutions...

Happy New Year's Eve! Oh its that time of year when people all over the world make resolutions for the upcoming trip around the sun... but I don't do it... the resolutions part, I do want to make the trip! LOL Many of us will resolve to finish up projects we have started. In fact, a group from my quilting guild proposed that they would finish a UFO BEFORE they started any new project in a month. An admirable idea that lots of people agreed with...me, being the smart a@@ that I am replied "I will try to try"... and well, I sometimes I have trouble even trying to try to do something.

Case in point... yesterday I started a new project, even though the most recent project (started last Sunday) still resides on my design wall. Yesterday I made this..


a giant sized - 24" finished- Urban Churn Dash block! I got the pattern here on Piece and Quilt's blog. She's given the fabric yardage that is needed and the cutting directions for a block. I think she'll post the sewing directions soon, but I couldn't wait and it was easy enough to figure out. The only adjustment I made was to cut my squares 9" instead of 8 7/8" as it gave me a little more wiggle room for squaring up the resulting HST.

Nine of these babies will make a 72" square quilt before borders. I dug out my Fat Quarter and Fat Eighth bundles of Charlevoix by Minnick & Simpson that I have been hoarding, aging like fine wine!

I made a Schnibble with this collection a couple of years ago and I love it still. I've been saving these bundles for something special. I will be using a different background in each block along with different fabrics. I think I'll have enough left for some kind of scrappy border and it will look great in my bedroom. Since my block doesn't have an "urban" look, I need to think of another name for this one.

As for the Kaffe/Brandon/Phillip quilt, I added a few more blocks. I bought 6 yards of that blue background and after whacking off some for those connector corners and vertical sashing I still have 200 running inches. I want to guesstimate how much I'll use for sashing between the rows and an outside border...cut that off one edge... and then resume cutting the connector corners and vertical sashing. This will require some thinking... I should do this before dinner time as afterwards I don't think too good - LOL! If you click on the picture you can see the patterns in the blocks more clearly, I love that this shows off big chunks of these fabrics. Oh oh... I just had a thought (a dangerous things) ...I might offset every other row... that sounds interesting... off to the sewing room!


Wishing everyone a Happy and Prosperous New Year!

carol fun

PS... I just saw on Facebook where the leader of the proposal to finish an UFO before starting a new project, admitted to wanting to start a couple more projects before midnight so they'd be UFO's for 2015... LOL... now that is my kinda thinking!

3 comments:

  1. I don't make resolutions either. My goal (if I have to have one) is to take each day as it comes and enjoy the little things. If that means starting a new design, so be it. A very Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great block. I think your color choices are great. I, like you, pulled out an old line a few days ago to start another project. It is my Layer Cake and border fabric from Portabello Road by Moda. It is just as great as when I bought it but there was a surprise in the box. . . a 2 yd. piece of the line that doesn't look like anything I would EVER pick out. I wonder if someone else bought it for me thinking it would help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not much for resolutions either! But I do have "wants" for my free time, most of which involve sewing :). Your brain works a lot of overtime on projects, but you sure make a lot of fun quilts! Enjoy your latest Squirrel :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com