Monday, December 29, 2014

The grayer the day...

the brighter the fabric needs to be!!! There have been way too many dreary, gray days lately and I think I've found the antidote...working with my Kaffe Fassett, Brandon Mably and Phillip Jacobs prints. I was inspired by a quilt top I saw on the blog by Kelly Young entitled,  My Quilt Infatuation which you can see here, and I put my spin on it.


I ended up doing connector corners on all 4 corners and I thought that bright cornerstones would look good...but they don't...sooooooooooooooo....



I replaced then with continuous sashing and I like it much better.

In looking at my inspiration piece I'm not sure what size her blocks are. I think she will be doing a pattern for her quilt as she has several great looking patterns here on Craftsy, so be on the lookout for it. I started with 5" X 10" rectangles and added 2" cut connector corners. My sashing is cut 2" also. This would work well with a layer cake - just cut it in half. I like that I can really show off these large scale prints. My plan is to make this large enough to fit my double bed. I "calculated" that I will need 120 of these blocks, so I cut 60 different 10" squares, and then sub-cut them to 5" X 10"... easy peasy... wish me luck that I did the math correctly!




This is my background fabric I purchased yesterday at my favorite shop, Fabric Shack. It is Jazz Basic by Timeless Treasures and you can see it here. I can't wait to stitch up more blocks.

 But before I can spend more quality time in my sewing room I have errands to run and phone calls to make. I have an idea to re-arrange some of the furniture in the living room and while moving the furniture shouldn't be too hard,  moving the cable box poses a problem. I need a longer cord and I hope by taking the one from the box to Best Buy will help me find one twice as long.

Hope you have a lovely week !

happy stitching-
carol fun

2 comments:

  1. Those colors will make a dull day seem bright. We need those here in the NW. Out here, if we see the sun, it is COLD!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun and bright! I didn't mind the bright cornerstones especially, but seeing the layout without them, the quilt blocks shine more :) Great background fabric.

    Rearranging around a cable box is a PITA. Hope you found satisfaction at Best Buy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com