Monday, July 27, 2015

Hey look!!! A Chicken....

Really... among the many projects on my design wall this morning there is a chicken...we'll get to it in a minute. If you've read this blog for any amount of time you know I bounce around like a BB in a boxcar (my sainted Dad's description of me as a child). I haven't changed any.

So at the top of the wall I have the two rows of the Meadow Mist Designs pattern, Looking Glass that I started last week. And below that I have two blocks from a pattern by Coriander Quilts called Floret.


The blocks from the Floret pattern use my stash of Denyse Schmidt fabrics that I have been aging since 2011. There are several collections in these blocks and I like how they have a vintage 50's vibe when combined with a white on white background.



Along with cutting 5" squares for the Floret pattern, I also cut a 2.5" strip from each piece as I'd like to make another 16 patch quilt with these. I recently saw this quilt on Country Threads Chicken Scratch blog made with the new Gardenvale collection by Jen Kingwell and it put me in the mind of some of the Denyse Schmidt fabrics. Since mine have been properly aged and are now "free" fabric I'm feeling virtuous that I'm using fabric I already have to make a quilt, instead of buying a new collection. Oh I am so good... I may dislocate my shoulder patting myself on the back- LOL!


And the chicken... this is from Lori Holt's new book Vintage Farm Girl. On Friday she posted a chicken block with a sawtooth star and I immediately wondered how an Ohio Star would look on the chicken... so I made one.


An Ohio Polka Dot Chicken... I LOVE IT! Which has me bouncing off with an idea for another quilt...there are not enough hours in a day, I tell you.

Hopefully I'll get a lot of sewing time this week. So far there isn't much on my calendar... a dinner with the quilty ladies and a doctor's appointment for my younger son...I hope it stays that way.

happy stitching-
carol fun

13 comments:

  1. Your virtue stash use is wonderful! I'm not sure the thought of an Ohio star block inside a chicken would have occurred to anyone else, lol. Lots of scrappy fun on your design wall as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again...such fun projects!!! Love the Denyse Schmidt fabrics! You are busier than any "chicken" I know!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much fun! I love all of your projects and that chicken is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute chicken! And I really like the florets blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your projects! and your "aged" (lol) fabric is wonderful in Floret...perfect pairing.
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. "BB in a boxcar." LOL! That's me, too! I've been following Vintage Farm Girl, just wishing I had time to start her project. Love your chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That chicken is very cute! Hope you get lots of stitching time this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That chicken is so cute...I love it! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The chicken takes the prize on your wall. Too cute. Hope you get to work on some of your fun scrappy projects. I'm a little like you with bouncing around on many different projects and starting new ones. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. bing bing bing ricochet rabbit (remember that cartoon?) he was a bouncy fella too. lol love your projects. and creating is fun isnt it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that Floret pattern - and it looks so cool with your choice of fabrics. (I'm always crazy over Denise's fabrics.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those Denyse Schmidt fabrics. I used to have some of those, but I think I used them. I love your floret blocks. Sometimes I go on a cutting spree and start cutting 2 1/2" strips. They seem to work really well in a lot of things. Now I'm going to see if I can find any of those Denyse Schmidt fabrics in my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your version of Looking Glass, the polka dot background is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com