Friday, May 27, 2016

Dueling socks...

Well this week I have dueling socks on my needles!  My usual pace has me knitting one sock a week but somehow this week I have two socks going and... neither one is done.  Oh well... it has been fun knitting.

The sock on the left is a Frankensock using scraps of Opal yarn... the cuff, heel and toe will be a gray yarn of undetermined origin that I found in my stash.


Think I have enough scraps? Yeah me too!  I wound little 5 gram balls from a big bin of leftover yarn I have. I weigh them on one of those little kitchen scales you can weigh food on... if you are into that sort of thing...but I'm not. Funny aside, my older son who is a prosecuting attorney saw the little scale and asked "why do you have a drug scale?"... obviously his experience with this device is very different from mine.

And while I distinctly remember telling my friend that since I've discovered Frankensocks and ragrug socks I would never knit a pair of socks from just one skein of yarn, this skein snuck into my house and my heart!


This is Opal Hunderwassers in the colorway 2104...oh how I LOVE this skein! (I got it off of ebay and I did just google it and there are few skeins still out there in the internet.)  Varying widths of stripes ... big and little bands of faux Fair Isle... a touch of yellow!  However, while this sock is primarily from one skein I did do some alterations. The creamy white band is much shorter than the skein had it... a bit too much white for me so I broke the yarn and started back with that cute little red faux Fair Isle band. And when I got down to the heel I decided to use a solid creamy white... some older Paton Kroy.  This is very enjoyable knitting... totally mindless.  I think this sock yarn has a definite Frankensock vibe too!  Makes me happy happy happy!

Do you have plans for the holiday weekend?  I have an airport drop off to do and plan to go to Taste of Cincinnati one day and then nothing definite...I'm sure some knitting and cross stitch and sewing will find its way into the weekend... and if the weather cooperates some of it will be done sitting on the front porch...life is good!

happy knitting-
carol fun

13 comments:

  1. Both socks are wonderful! I need to pull out all of my little balls of leftover yarn and do something with them, too. I, too, love the Opal yarn. Beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to make frankensocks too. On my to-do list--someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like both of your socks. The one's I am currently doing is Opal, bought for my first socks. I bought 2 skeins and will soon be making my third pair of socks from them. I learned after that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy the "Taste"...always a fun experience!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those socks, fab way to use up leftover yarn. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those socks, fab way to use up leftover yarn. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cool name, is Frankensocks. I love yours and that variegated yarn is so pretty. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sure hope you have had some nice weather for all those fun plans. It's been cold and damp here. Have a super Memorial day!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your socks...and that Opal yarn looks gorgeous!I'm a 'óddments knitter'too...love using up the scraps of yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your socks and your pretty yarns. I really should start using scraps for socks.
    Thank you for linking up with Wool on Sundays :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never really seen this idea before (or perhpas 'noticed' is the better word), but now I really want a pair of Frankensocks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE these socks! I want to go in right this minute and start winding little balls of yarn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the scrappy look of your socks. I am very new to knitting and have not tried knitting in the round yet.
    Nice work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com