Sunday, March 19, 2017

Bird-brained...

So I haven't posted for Slow Sunday Stitching for quite a while as I didn't have anything to show...but today I do have something to show...and I continue to have birds on the brain and in my hoop (if I stitched in a hoop but I don't but somehow that sounds better than in my hand...which makes me think of a squished bird)...see I told you I was bird-brained...LOL


I finished The Christmas Bird by With Thy Needle and Thread...


this is so much prettier in real life... colors are washed out here but its the best I can do with the camera from my phone. I love the color of that background... 35 ct. Chestnut from Weeks Dye Works.. very rich...but that 35 ct. was not easy to stitch.  Don't know what I'm going to do with this. The picture on the chart has it finished as a little pillow...it about 2.75" X 6.125"... I'll think about that.

And this one is almost done...


this is Bluebird Out My Window also by With Thy Needles and Thread.  Just have a few more flowers to do and some scattered little ditsy elements to fill in the background. This is the first piece I've tried stitching since my cataract surgery and I've found I need some Mr. Magoo type magnification... but then I can see the threads ...and if that's what it takes, then that's what it takes.

I should be able to finish this tonight and I think I may start this piece...


Little House Needleworks "Needlework ABC's"... I got this as a kit and while I'm happy with the threads and the chart I'm not sure I like the linen that came with it... 32 ct. Confederate Gray by Weeks Dye Works... it is a nice color but the linen is real soft (I prefer stiff linen) and the weave seems very loose. This piece will finish 2 3/8" wide by 19 3/8" long and I think a loose weave will be difficult to get framed straight... I think I'll look in my stash and see what I may have... I think I still have some pale grey evenweave... I LOVE the motifs on this piece... the house, the flowers, the needle, the thread, the scissors and that cute stitcher at the bottom... she may get a different colored dress...just saying ... maybe something gold-y yellow and perhaps her hair will get a bit more auburn/red... some personalization on my part...LOL!

Along with the Bluebird out my Window, I hoping for some sunshine out my window...last week was gray and cold... tomorrow they are promising 60...hope they are right... my daffodils are hanging in there and I've seen some of my hyacinths poking up and something bloomed in my rose bed but I'm not sure what it is and I know that I'm the one that planted the bulbs...they kinda look like irises but they are only about 6" tall... maybe I did plant those...oh the memory ain't what it use to be... but the flowers are pretty!!

Well dinner is in the crockpot... beef tips in gravy to serve over egg noodles with a dollop of sour cream... should be yummy... hope you are having a lovely relaxing Sunday... I'll link up with Kathy's Quilts today and Super Mom - No Cape tomorrow...

happy stitching-
carol fun 

14 comments:

  1. I love the container in that first piece. And you're right, the background is a great color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some lovely projects on the go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dinner and the stitching sound yummy!
    Love the new project design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you might like that alphabet piece when I saw it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the ABC one, always nice to put your own touch on it. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your Christmas stitchery--you might take a gander (another bird--ha!) at Samplers and Santas' blog, she just did a sweet project about that same size. I hope you get some more improvement with your eyes--congenital cataracts run in my family but thankfully I did not get them. However, I'm terrifically nearsighted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my Carol! Christmas Bird is really lovely. Bluebird Out My Window is very sweet. It will be fun to give a few changes to the ABC piece. I always personalize pieces too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your Christmas Bird finish! This is one of my WIPS and I have been struggling with the linen as well. Bluebird Out My Window looks super sweet. Can't wait to see how your personalization on the LHN piece turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are definitely a tough bird to tackle such small stitching. No wonder your eyes got tired early! I admire all your lovely stitcheries, but cannot imagine how you have the patience and eye sight to do such small, tiny stitches. They are really lovely though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Winter birds, spring birds - all birds are great birds!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love both designs. The bluebird will be just perfect for spring. The Christmas bird is also beautiful. I often change the color of the linen. I like that Little House piece, not sure if I'll do it yet. Hope dinner was as good as it sounded.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice stitching and love the new one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com