Sunday, September 8, 2019

Stitching and Dahlias on Slow Sunday Stitching...

Hello  - did another week just fly by for you? It did for me... had lots of stuff going on ... and next week will be even busier... but I did work on a couple of things...

I'm in Fall mode for cross stitching... and I can feel Halloween creeping in... so many many cute pieces I'd love to stitch... and this first one was at the top of my list...

Boo to You by With Thy Needle & Thread...


I dyed some called for 36 ct linen... IRL it is more golden... and I like it a lot... I stitched this with the called for colors 1 ply over 2 threads... it is definitely a more delicate look ... I thought about doing it on 32 ct but it would be bigger than I wanted... this finished about 4.5" wide and 6" tall... I think I'm going to finish her as a pillow...

And I stitched a little Lizzie Kate... this is from the Autumn Smalls chart...


I know this looks dark here... it isn't so much IRL... having a hard time with the pics today... 32 ct and most of the called for DMC colors... I have a little wooden caddy that I might mount this on... or make it into a little pillow... still thinking... and I just realized I didn't sew the buttons on for the owl's eyes...


And I pulled out a piece I stitched late last Fall and made some changes to it... Lizzie Kate's Thankful String...

then...


now...


I pulled out the A and the cornstalk and the Q and a turkey feather and the XYZ and re-stitched them in a dark olive green instead of the light beige... I wasn't happy how the beige didn't contrast with this fabric... I'll be sewing this one into a long  pin pillow like I did with the Winter one... need to find my chart for the Christmas one and I wonder is there one for Halloween?  I'll bet there is ...they are fun to stitch ... I used the called for 28 ct and with DMC you get nice coverage.

And last week I showed you lots of pictures of the inside of my home... today we are going outside... to my newest garden venture a cutting bed of dahlias...


The view from the patio... this is tucked in between my covered patio and my neighbor's house... there was big tree in her yard until this Spring when she had it removed...not sure why... but it really opened up the area and made it sunny ... so I jumped on the idea of a raised bed cutting garden...

Here are some of my dahlias... I wish I had kept better track of the names... they all came from either Costco...or I picked them up in little 3 packs at Meijer's and Krogers... nothing special but boy are they pretty... 

This one is considered a dinnerplate dahlia... it is about 8" across and a beautiful shade of yellow ...one of my favorites!



A bi-colored one a bit smaller... I'm also fond of the bi-colored blooms...


Another dinnerplate dahlia the most GORGEOUS shade of peach... this photo doesn't do it justice...

Again a dinnerplate dahlia... this one makes me think Fiesta!!


I love the shape/form of this one... and the color... I need to get more of this form for next year... I think it is called a pompom ... it's not as big as the dinnerplate one but it is large!


Another bi-color one but smaller ...

Such a pretty burgundy color...

And this one isn't large... maybe 4" across but the yellow undertone make it look like it is lit up from within... love it!!


Last but not least and not all of the varieties I have this gem... yellow with white on the tips of the petals!


These are such wonderful flowers to grow... I know you think I have a green thumb but really all I do is plant, water and fertilize... God does the rest... and boy does he do a great job!!

There is more room in this bed for more varieties next year and my extended flower bed on the side of the house is going to get some dahlias in it too... maybe even some of the pricey ones I see on IG... I will be digging up the tubers later and storing them in my basement till next Spring and replanting them...and with any luck some of the tubers will be able to be split into more flowers!! You can NEVER have too many flowers ... or  fabric... or thread... or yarn... or linen... or charts... or... you get the idea...LOL

Well next week is going to be jam packed with things to do, so I don't know if I'll have anything to show... maybe some knitting... I've got a couple of pairs of socks on my needles ...maybe I'll finish them up... after all it is going to get back up to the 90's again... ugh ugh ugh...perfect wool sock weather...right??? 

I'll link up with Kathy's Quilts today.. I'm off to do some errands and then dinner with my family... Elliott is getting so big... he'll be 5 months old this coming week and is just the cutest baby in the whole wide world.... really he is...no lie...LOL

Hope your week has some fun crafty stuff ... 
happy stitching...
carol fun 

19 comments:

  1. Your flowers are beautiful and you sure take beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing all the photos of your dahlias. They are just beautiful! I love seeing an occasional photo of your cat also, so maybe soon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your fabric for Boo to You.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely stitching and gorgeous flowers! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love reading your blog and sewing all your cross stitch. I keep getting inspired to pull it out and have even purchased some new kits. Your backgrounds are amazing as are your holiday decorations. Thanks for your blog. Really!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your dahlia's are so beautiful! Your cross stitch looks so autumn, very nice. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  7. DH and I used to go to High Hampton Inn in NC, one of those old-fashioned resorts where you have assigned seating in the dining room. They had a dahlia cutting garden where you could go and cut a blossom to go on your table. We haven't been there in years so I don't know if they still do, but it sure was a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your stitching and those gorgeous flowers. I have yet to try dyeing some fabric, but I always like the variety of colors that you have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The days do fly by, don't they. Your stitching is lovely and as for those Dahlias....they are stunningly beautiful. How fabulous to look out at your garden and see all those gorgeous creations blooming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your stitching and pictures of your dahlias. I finished a crossstitch piece called Blue Dahlia a couple of years ago. Since I stitched it over one, it reminds me of the detail I see in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have fallen in love with Boo to You! Later this week we are going down to Portland to a needlework shop so I plan on buying it there and the linen and floss. Your dyed linen looks wonderful. I am truly impressed with your dahlias. They are such a joy to grow. My only problem is that if it gets windy here, the stems break. Oh well, that just gives me an excuse to bring them in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your dahlias are gorgeous! I've never had much luck growing them, but I do love them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Will you come and do my garden for me??? Yours is so lovely. Enjoyed the pictures and stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love seeing your seasonal stitching so thank you for taking the time to share it all with us! And those dalias are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Dahlias are gorgeous! I like the re-do on the parts for the LK string. Definitely better! Congratulations on your pumpkin/Halloween finish and the autumn one. Have a super end to this week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your stitcheries, the dyed fabrics look terrific. I'm holding off on any Fall decorating for now, too hot and steamy here to put me in the mood.

    Your dahlias are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your dahlias are stunning! I need to check if they will grow in central Arkansas. They would look great in the garden I am planning for next year. Thank you for sharing all your lovely stitchery and decor. I've been following you for quite a while, but have never commented. I love the gold fabric you dyed for the autumnal pieces. And I've seen other fabrics that you've dyed/painted and they are all gorgeous! Have you shown or discussed your process in an older post? If so, which one? And if you haven't, would you consider sharing your techniques? What brand/kind of dye do you use? Again thanks for a bright and beautiful spot in my week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com