Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Moving along on WIP Wednesday

Well I did get some sewing time in on Tuesday and I finished sewing the connecting corners on the 44 blocks I needed to complete this top. It is BIG! It covers my whole design wall!


Right now it is just shy of 92"wide and 77" long. My plan is to add a small (1.5" finished) border to the right and left sides, and then add a deeper border to the top and bottom to get it more square. I prefer square quilts, but lately I've been very smitten with rectangular blocks... makes no sense, does it? I want to play with the Spool block on Missouri Star - you can see it here. And I bought a new ruler that will help me do half-square rectangles. I think the desire to make rectangular blocks into square quilts is just another aspect of my talent of being able to make simple tasks more difficult. It a gift, dontcha know - LOL!

It shouldn't take too long to assemble these rows and get to the borders.


I was thinking of a name for this quilt. The pattern that gave me this idea is called Chapel Glass and it is by My Quilt Infatuation. You can see it here. My blocks are a different size from hers and I ended up doing more connector corners, but the rectangular block idea started there for me.

Anyway, back to a name. I was sitting at my sewing machine, admiring my handiwork when the vision of a keypunch data card popped into my head. Now you have to be of a certain age to remember keypunch cards. It was the dawn of the computer age. They looked like this..


My very first job out of high school was being a keypunch operator. I sat all day and typed/punched out the information onto the cards. If you made a mistake you had to start the card all over. No way to correct the error. And you were evaluated by how many cards you could punch in a day, so you had to be speedy and accurate - nerve wracking!   Somehow I see a keypunch card in this quilt...Keypunch by Kaffe!! It will be a joke that only a few will get, but it makes me smile!


I may have some sewing time this afternoon and a bit on Thursday and Friday. The weekend is filling up with birthday plans for my older son. He's having a milestone birthday - 30 - how did he get that old? I haven't aged a bit (lying through my teeth).

I'm linking up to  Freshly Pieced. Go here check out all the other WIP - very inspiring!

happy stitching-
carol fun


11 comments:

  1. Oh, yes....I remember the keypunch card. And to be a keypunch operator was a lofty aspiration. But after hours of keying in those cards I didn't think payday could come soon enough. And the paycheck wasn't big enough, either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I see the resemblance. Love the fabrics - very fun piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a keypunch operator must have been very tedious! Your quilt is very pretty! The colors are so vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh! The keypunch card. Yes, I remember those. ;) I like that as the name for your quilt - which is really pretty, by the way. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, unfortunately I remember those so guess that tells my age. VERY nice to get a puppy that big done. HUGE undertaking! HA MY plans for the weekend are ANYTHING outside since it's supposed to be in the 60's!! Yippee skippy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great name for the quilt. Just wait till he turns 40. When my DD turned 40, I said something very strange had happened. I was nowhere near old enough to have a 40 year old child!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a perfect name for this quilt and I really like the design and flow of it. Congratulations on it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really coming along and looking so cheerful! I prefer rectangular quilts myself but ya gotta do what ya gotta do! Our son will be 30 in August...time flies. Is he the one getting married?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just had fun catching up on a bunch of your posts ~ so much eye candy to see!! Yes ~ the name ~ love it and I get it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant name for you quilt. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the blue background. It gives your quilt top individuality and presence. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com