Friday, March 24, 2017

A tale of two cities...I mean socks...

So it has been a crazy busy week and not much has been accomplished on the crafty front... haven't touched my sewing machine... did a little cross stitch... and did a little knitting... which brings me to the tale of my two cities... socks...

I was knitting away on the Frankensock I showed last week and that got me thinking (always a dangerous thing) about other Blue Moon yarn I had in my house...




So I went looking for wayward Blue Moon yarn  and found this sock...


This one is a Blue Moon Rare Gems...  a yarn with no real name... I put it aside when I thought it was a bit too bright... prior to my cataract surgeries... and somehow now I don't think it is too bright at all... I LOVE it... it bits of neon orange and hot pink and green... so pretty.

Well looking at these socks side by side I noticed something...



I don't really think you can see it in the picture but the Frankensock on the left is noticeably thicker...heavier than the Rare Gems sock on the right. These socks have the exact same number of stitches ...58... but the Frankensock is knitting on a 2.75mm needle and the Rare Gems is knitted on a 2.50 needle.... and I like the feel of the "fabric" on the smaller diameter needle much much more. Who knew that a needle a mere .25mm smaller would make such a difference????

Sooo...... I'm going to unravel the Frankensock and start again... I can hear my friend Linda groaning right now as I type this... she can never understand how I can rip out and start over when I have so much knit already.... but if I'm not happy now, I won't be happy with the finished sock and I enjoy the process of knitting them as much as the product.... and Linda... how many of those teeny tiny, itsy bitsy little leaves/circles/flowers have you redone on that magnum opus quilt you've been working on??? I'm just teasing her and she knows it... admitting something isn't right and fixing it is all part of the whole crafty experience.

Well I've been having my handyman, Dan, do a bunch of projects around my house and my son's house this week... both of our bathrooms needed repainted... we both live in older small houses with tiny bathrooms and inadequate ventilation... I have an exhaust fan which does help a bit but there was still some paint that needed touch up... and he put in a new faucet in my bathroom sink... and a bunch of new overhead lights...I've found some cool fixtures at Costco that are LED... love the look and the light they put out...however as always seems to happen when you work on fixing one project another crops up. An inspection of my water heater lead the conclusion that it needs a look see by a professional plumber... the hard water/calcification/gunk built up on it in less than 5 years is pretty severe. It was suggest about a year ago that I should get a water softener installed but it was going to involve demolition on the ceiling of my basement which was remodeled just 3 years ago... I couldnt' bear to do that at the time... but I think we've come up with a new plan that wouldn't require that ... there will still be some demolition but not the ceiling... having a plumber come tomorrow and another on Tuesday to give me some direction and estimates.  There is always something isn't there???

I'm going to link up to Judy's Patchwork Times On the Needles... hope you have a great weekend ahead... I have more "house" projects to do...

happy knitting -
carol fun

4 comments:

  1. I know just what you mean about ripping back, if you don't like it now it's not going to get any better. I do it all the time too. BTW, I've started the FLK heel on sock set #2! So. In. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of your socks are so pretty. The colors are yummy. I've been too busy to knit for a bit, but really miss it. I understand why Linda would feel that way about ripping out. Me too! I get really upset when I make a knitting mistake on my socks and don't notice it for an inch or two. I have to take it to a friend to get me back on track.

    I hear you about household fixing up one thing that leads to another. We have lots of those problems here too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Socks are fun...as usual!!! Home ownership isn't for sissies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As usual, I just love your socks!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com