Sunday, June 25, 2017

Long and skinny on a Slow Stitching Sunday... (LOL the stitching ...not me)

First off as I sporadically sometimes occasionally ... okay almost ALWAYS complain about the weather I would like to say that today the weather in my little corner of the world is PERFECT!!!!   It is high noon, the sun is shining, there is a lovely breeze and it is only 76 degrees... I have all the windows open in the house and I am loving it!

I started my morning by sitting in my happy chair in my pjs finishing off the last chart of the Lizzie Kate Jingles....ta dah!!!


I will add the two border rows to the bottom of this tonight while I watch my PBS British shows and then all I need to do is add the buttons and embellishments.  Here's a more close up view of the piece...

Jingles top...


Jingles bottom...



Even though I can't do all 12 charts I'm still very happy  with this piece. It will fit nicely  in the narrow space next to my front door when Christmas arrives.

And speaking of the narrow space next to my front door this is what is adorning that spot right now...

My Little House Needlework ABC's  Sampler in all its glory...


Now this is the 2nd time I've had this pieced framed... I had a disastrous  experience at a local big box craft retailer who's name I won't mention but it starts with the letter that comes between Linen and Needles. I ended up taking it out of that  frame and trying a new to me place that is much closer to my house. I think they did a great job and I was pleasantly surprised that price wise they really aren't any more expensive than the big box store.  The first yuccky framing ran about $50 ... the second lovely framing was $60... I'm willing to pay that difference for a quality job. And I noticed that a the big box store the price started out waaaay higher and then is reduced by the coupon... at the new frame place they just gave me the price...and no pressure to add mats or glass like at the big box place.

I'm very happy with all my color changes... those pops of yellow make me soooooo happy... oh the floss I used was Crescent Colors Queen Bee... my favorite yellow!

Here's a couple of close ups...








The frame I picked is a slightly weathered creamy white wood...very simple...not too wide... I really like it ...and when I went to pick this one up I saw that they had several good candidates for my Jingles piece... great motivation to get it finished and framed before the holidays... yeah for me!

Well, I see a lot  more cross stitching in my future as this last week saw me clicking away on the internet purchasing charts and floss and linen... I just got on a roll and was carried away like a leaf on the breeze (OMG... it would have to be a gale force hurricane wind to carry me off...LOL) but anyway I did choose some pretty things.  I even signed up for Brenda Gervais With Thy Needle and Thread Summer Schoolhouse - Lessons in Abcedarian which you can see here.

I love the design that I've seen so far and she says that learning how to stitch over one on 28 count won't be  a problem...we shall see... I think I'm going to have to get a hoop... I have a q-snap frame somewhere, but  I saw she works in a small 5" hoop ... I figure I'll give it a try.

Well I hope the weather where you are is as nice  as it is here... I've got a lasagna prepped for dinner tonight prepared by the requests of my sons... life is good!!

I'll link up with Kathy's Quilts today and Super Mom - No Cape tomorrow...

happy stitching-
carol fun

11 comments:

  1. Our weather is about the same here, but I've opted to stay in and sew (though I did open a window next to my machine). Love your little stitcheries. A good framer is worth the price, especially those that know how to handle needlework.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Jingles piece is adorable. Love the Alphabet piece too!
    I have found the same as you about framing. Lots of times, a frame shop is competitively priced with the big box stores. They jack their prices way up because they know you'll think you're getting a deal with their coupons...not so much! Plus, I think a full time framer has more experience than the part timers at a M's. JMHO
    Please send that nice weather east!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous framing on your stitchery! I paid over $100 for a smaller wider frame but the most expensive was the non-glare glass. Love Lizzie Kate designs and just bought two patterns and hand-dyed floss at a local shop I just learned about. I'll probably go back for linen--the owner cuts to size from yardage. I want to try a qsnap frame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we spend so many hours creating our cross stitch pieces, it is really important that we get them framed well! Your new frame looks great! The Christmas project is done in plenty of time for Christmas too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Lizzie Kate Jingles piece. It's colorful and whimsical - just like Christmas. I went to the Abcedarian blog and the Series looks like a lot of fun, and so tiny. I've never stitched on anything smaller than 18 ct. so it sounds like 28 would be tricky. I look forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on getting the Jingles piece finished! I really like your rendition. I like the skinny creamy frame you used for the LHN piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Jingles piece looks wonderful. Very smart of you not to stress over the part you can't stitch. The LHN sampler is beautiful. The frame is just perfect. I rarely use the big box stores. Out here, they only have contemporary frames and they never really go with my needlework.I wish I could do that new series but my eyes just don't like to do over one anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your finish and lovely framing job on the sampler!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like Jingles. You have done a wonderful job. I am glad that I am not the only person who swaps out their pieces for Christmas. You reminded me that I have to go to my local framer and get a Christmas piece framed. I agree that the larger craft stores really don't offer the right options for needlework. I am somewhat unhappy with a couple of my framed pieces that I had done in one of those, but I will have to wait to have them changed. Your alphabet looks great in its current frame.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Jingles pieces is just the cutest!

    Glad you were able to finally find a framer that you're happy with. Quality work is worth paying extra for.

    Thanks so much for linking up to last week's Stitchery Link Party and for the link back. Aloha hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear. I would be very disappointed also, but move on like you. It truly is going to look great with 10!! Really. :D
    Your display is fabulous!

    pirates of the caribbean 5

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com