Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Every task takes longer than you think it will...

So I think you know my older son is getting married at the end of April. He and his lovely bride to be are trying to keep the whole wedding/honeymoon within the budget they set for themselves, and both families are pitching in to help. The mother of the bride is making the wedding dress (it is going to be gorgeous) and is dealing with the flowers and  decorations and a million assorted details. I volunteered to make the invitations, and to sew table runners, and make quilt/signature squares for the guests to sign. So far I've tackled the invitations and I'm working on the signature squares, but each task is taking longer than I planned. Which is exclusively a function of my tendency to grossly underestimate the time reality of most projects. Its a math thing... I don't do addition or multiplication well - LOL!

Anyway I've been working on the invitations for a while now but put the pedal to the metal the last week or so.


Here is my dining room table covered with paper and ribbon and glue and cardstock and... you get the picture.


And here is Big Dude trying to help me out... opposable thumbs would be very beneficial! But you can see that I have all the individual elements done and I'm in the final assembly stage.


Here is a breakdown of the invitations. I've covered up the details like names and dates and places. The invitation includes from left to right - the outside mailing envelope, a two pocket folder, the invitation card, the reply card and the envelope for the reply card.


When assembled the invitation card fits in the front pocket of the folder, the reply card and its envelope in the back pocket. The wedding colors are turquoise and orange and I've used these colors in the invitations. I made the envelopes from a variety of scrapbook papers from Stampin' Up.  I found some great ribbon in the wedding colors to use at the top of the invitation card at Hobby Lobby.  I think the all the little details and separate elements make for an interesting package.

My son and his bride to be composed all the text for the invitations. Guests are invited for a evening of  "merriment and marriage".  There will be a "Happy Hour - Wedding Hour - Dinner Hour - Party Hour." The reply cards give you the choice of " Yes, Of Course! I love free grub and grog!" or "Nope. I will be drinking in the couple's honor from afar that evening." Creativity and sarcasm run deep in these two- LOL!

So I'm in the home stretch. Need to type up the address labels and take one to the post office to be sure of the postage.  They should be in the mail next week and I'm onto another wedding project... the quilt/signature squares. I'm rethinking my original plan and I'll show you what I come up with when I've got it nailed down.

Hope you are warm where you are... it is frigid here... about 20 degrees below normal.  I heard last night that it is warmer in Fargo, North Dakota than here in Cincinnati, Ohio. I can't wait for Spring!

happy stitching-
carol fun

16 comments:

  1. My younger son is getting married the end of April also! I WISH they were trying to stay within budget but it seems that the budget just gets expanded as needed. I hope they appreciate all the time and effort you are putting in to making their day beautiful! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you are ambitious! And they are gorgeous! I'd come help if I lived closer. We printed our own invitations, but certainly nothing as elaborate as yours. And I made my own programs, with help from a friend. That is going to be one Special Wedding!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A labor of love, for sure! You are a dear mother-in-law to the bride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the invitations--very FUN and non-traditional!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this problem all the time- I think to myself this task is simple=this task is quick which almost NEVER turns out to be right..... The invitations look great though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The invitations are gorgeous! I love their color scheme and it sounds like it will be a fun wedding. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of work - those invitations... they are looking good!
    Sorry to mention that it's sunny and about 60 here in Vancouver, WA.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Every task takes longer than you think it will"...that's certainly the story of my life. The upside is when pressed for time we just work faster!! LOVE the invitations. You've done a beautiful job with them. And the text is great. Very relaxed and fun. People know they're going to enjoy themselves at this wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That time estimating seems to be a problem I have too. The invitations are so pretty and very clever! Good luck with all the chores you are undertaking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the invitations. Very festive color choices for a wedding! Is the quilt going to be in those colors too?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything looks great! You are a sweet momma. Thank you for stopping by my blog today and leaving such a sweet message! XO

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! Those are simply wonderful! Neither of our children are getting married anytime soon..but from your post, I'm wondering if I should get started on preparations. LOL.
    What did you use to make the envelopes? The whole shebang looks very professional and fun - love their sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I love their sense of humor!! And, you are doing a beautiful job on those invitations... everything DOES always take longer, doesn't it? ;) The colors are so fun! Wishing you a most productive day! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com