Sunday, May 21, 2017

A Slow Sunday with my feet up... cause I was real busy Saturday...

I'm taking it easy today... my left foot still hurts on and off... I suspect maybe a stress fracture... will need to get it looked at...ugh...but for today I'm sitting here with my feet up, eating some Famous Amos cookies  and stitching.

Now yesterday one thing let to another and I rediscovered this little gem...


I have no clue who's design this is or if it has a name... I have one very crumpled piece of paper that shows the chart and says Square 22 and the date I printed it out... July of 2010... so it has been maturing for a while. I know I dyed that aida... it is 18 count...  and I think I've matched whatever floss I was using. I found this in the bottom of my BIG box of floss.  And pawing through the BIG box of floss convinced me to organize the floss the way I did my linen and charts... that took a couple of hours but I know it was time well spent. Now I'll be able to find the right floss as easily as I can find my charts and linen.


Here's a pic of the BIG box of floss... it is one of those storage boxes from IKEA that fits their furniture.




a look inside...



on the top is a separate box with all my hand dyed flosses...



the hand dyed flosses are in little floss bags filed alphabetically for each of the 3 lines I have... Gentle Arts, Crescent Colors, Weeks..

and underneath this box is the rest of the floss...



all the DMC and Anchor are in ziploc bags... all the 200's in one bag, 300's in another, 400's... you get the idea... they are organized this way...


I put 4 bags on a metal ring so they stay somewhat in order  so there is less time spent looking for the right bag.  This is soooooo much better than the mess I had... which lead me to discovering that cute little bird...

I think I'll finish him like this piece done by Priscilla Blain on her blog... which you can see here.


She mounted it on  sticky needlework board and then mounted it to another piece of sticky needlework board that she covered with fabric. A  quick, simple finish that you can tuck into a lot of different decorating places.

And seeing this finish and this wreath that Priscilla did...


got me thinking how I could make something similar... and I did... Ta dah!!!



I started with the piece by With Thy Needle and Thread called Bluebird Out My Window and an inexpensive grapevine wreath I found at Wallyworld. I like how Priscilla uses a lot of burlap ribbon and I found that bow on sale at Hobby Lobby... I added the silk rose which I made at least 25 years ago from French wired ribbon... it is good to be a pack rat with some organizational skills as I had in this my stash with other ribbons. I really like the look of the silk with the burlap... and I always have fake ivy hanging around... I use it a lot in my little vignettes and 3 tier tray.

Now I'm not positive how Priscilla put her wreath together but this is what I did.   After mounting the cross stitched piece on the sticky board, I cut another piece a bit larger and covered it with fabric ...and then I punched 2 holes in the back piece that I threaded a twist tie through and attached it to the wreath that way so it would hang down a bit...




I used some orange tape double sized tape that is very very sticky to put everything together.


This is hanging on the inside of my front door and I can see it from my stitching chair... I'm really happy with this finish and I'm going to play with some other piece of cross stitch I have to do another wreath for my back hallway.

I'll link this up with Kathy's Quilts today and Super Mom - No Cape tomorrow... its a quiet Sunday for me...my son and DIL are available for dinner ... so Nick and I will do something easy...hope you are having a nice slow Sunday too!!

happy stitching-
carol fun

13 comments:

  1. It feels so good to get organized, even if it takes time away from your actual needlework--lookin' good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bird design you featured in the first photo! Way to go on getting your threads organized!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to have you come over to my house and help me get organized. I just have these huge plastic bags full of floss. It takes forever to find a specific color! I love your finishing. The wreath looks wonderful. I have gotten a few ideas from Priscilla too. Mine never seem to look as good as hers. The bird is very pretty. I think I will start the BBD Borders after I finish a small patriotic piece. Any suggestions on changes you made? I consider you a color genius!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fun to find a treasure when cleaning up! I love your little bird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to display some stitchery! Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful way to display your stitching and nice organization of your threads. I feel like I might remember that little bird from a Christmas edition of one of the cross stitch magazines. Do you get any of those?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wreath turned out so nice! What a clever thing to do. I love the color on your hand-dyed cloth. Glad your found and want to finish this little project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that finished wreath. Your cross-stitch is very pretty and I really like the flower and burlap bow. That little bird on the blue Aida is so pretty. I am looking forward to seeing how you finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh girlfriend! I might have to go get me some yarn and start that shawl. The Cleckheaton looks scrumptious too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like the bird on that blue fabric, lovely colour!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty finish using the wreath. You will be able to enjoy it all summer long.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm looking forward to seeing how the little bird piece that you discovered will turn out once you've finished stitching it and have it mounted. And I just love the wreath you made with the Blueird Out My Window cross-stitch.

    Thanks so much for linking up to last week's Stitchery Link Party and for the link back. Aloha hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh girlfriend! I might have to go get me some yarn and start that shawl. The Cleckheaton looks scrumptious too!

    ลาลีกา

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com