Monday, February 13, 2017

I HAVE to make this quilt...

really... I have to... since the moment the pattern arrived in my mail slot it has been talking to me...shouting at me... MAKE ME...MAKE ME!!! (Remember when I said I was only a little bit crazy?  It may be more than a bit...LOL)

Here is the noisy little pattern...



I purchased it here from Villa Rosa Designs.  I couldn't wait to start this Chatty Cathy quilt, but I was having trouble deciding which fabrics to use. The pattern used Cotton & Steel fabrics but I don't have any in my stash., and in examining the pattern and how the geese are made (they are 2 HST) I knew I wanted to use fabrics that would "meld" where the two HSTs came together.  I thought about some large scale prints I have but was pretty sure that they would end up going in two different directions which would set off my crafty OCD... not a good thing... and then I thought of my Kaffe Fassett prints... YES... these would work!!!

Well the pattern calls for 10 FQs...and somehow that proved to be more complicated math than I could handle as I ended up making 11 GINORMOUS flying geese... mine are bigger than the pattern and are finishing a little over 16" high and 32" wide... sooooo I have to decide which of these layouts I like best...

Door No. 1....



Door No. 2...



Now I will admit these aren't the greatest pictures and I'm not sure that clicking on them and making them bigger will help but I just want to point out that all those dark purple-y ones in Door No. 2 are slightly different in tone.  All ten flying geese are different paperweight fabrics.... I know which Door I like... which one would you pick?


I'm very happy with how these Kaffe paperweight prints "meld"...





And that turquoise grunge background looks like sky in real life.... I still need to sew the blocks together and I'm going to add a small border on all four sides so that when I bind it I don't lose the points.

Now when I'm going to get to that step I'm not sure... today has lots of running around and tomorrow I'm scheduled to have the first of my two cataract surgeries.... I'm a bit nervous ....anxious to have it over with.... but my friends who've had the surgery keep telling me how happy I will be and how well I will see... and considering how near sighted I am I'm looking forward to better vision.  Well this quilt will definitely call me to come back and finish it ASAP so maybe by the end of the week it will be a top...

Wish me luck on the quilt and the eye surgery!

happy stitching-
carol fun

14 comments:

  1. I think I like Door 2. I am praying for you and your eye and your surgeon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the "melding," especially at that scale. I know the surgery is scary, but it goes quickly and you will be so happy with the results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes for your eye surgery. I like door #2 better because I like the repetition of the two strong darks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your eye surgery! You may find you see colour a little differently after. I like Door 1 because it's so bright.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be thinking about you in prayer for the eye surgeries--we need you to get back to those flying geese or I fear they will start 'shouting' at you again--great fabric selections you made for them--
    enjoy the moments, di

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prayers for you and your medical staff. Knitting while you are recuperating?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like door #1...not sure why, just do! LOL

    Good luck with your eye surgery. We use our eyes so much, we must take good care of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am looking forward to the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting use of flying geese ! I like the first layout best. Say, I received some fabric today that reminded me of you. My friend was making some room in her quilting/sewing room, and sent me a 3 1/2 yard piece of yellow fabric with Old MacDonald riding a tractor, surrounded by critters, including a polka-dot chicken, pig, and sheep ! Haven't I seen you use that fabric in one of your quilts? I wanted to email you, but couldn't get the link in your profile to work. Let me know if you would want this fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really can't decide, not much help am I??!!I can say though, no matter what we say , go with the one that speaks to you! Best of luck with your eye surgery. I will keep you in my thoughts tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like door #2 because of the dark purples. Best wishes for a speedy recovery on your eye surgery. Will be praying for you and your doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love those paperweight fabrics. I like the second grouping. Good luck with your surgery. It takes barely any time at all but you have a driver, right?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Prayers sent up for a successful cataract surgery today. I love this quilt! Door #1 is my favorite because the red/orange flying geese move my eye around the quilt. The Kaffe fabrics you chose are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL...some quilts are kind of bossy that way and demand to be made. Seems I'll go for a pretty long while without running into them and them WHAM, I've got to make 3 or 4 right this minute! And yes, you DID have to make that quilt!
    Sending prayers for a complete and speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com