Sunday, December 16, 2018

Getting stuff done on Slow Sunday Stitching...

Hello  again... another week, another update where I try to figure out what I did and what I didn't like about the weather... do we sense a theme??? Well I did get a lot of things done, so that is good... and I vaguely remember a sunny day or two...so that's good too... I am sitting here looking out my living room window a a gray gray gray day...yuck... but the temperature is in the upper 40's so I'll take comfort in that.

In case you didn't know...only 9 days till Christmas... time to start running around like a polka dot chicken with its head cut off....aaarrrhhhhh..... actually things aren't too out of control here. I still need to make a trip to the dreaded mall...planning on that tomorrow...for a couple of things I couldn't track down on the internet... and there are some gift cards to pick up ... and there is still the wrapping... which entails me stuffing presents into fabric sacks ...something I've done for years... some people commended me for being "green"... green has nothing ot do with it... I'm lazy and this is the easiest way to do it...LOL

So lets start with the project that was guilting me the most... Christmas cards... now I don't send many but I do make them myself...a task that I seriously questioned this year... it would be waaaaay easier to purchase cards and for what I spent on the ones I made probably waaaay cheaper too .... but I made them anyway!!!

Here are the most of them... I forgot to take pics until some were already in envelopes... no two are identical...but a couple are very similar... that happens when you are working with a scrappy bunch of papers and embellishments... gotta go with the flow... most of the images are vintage/mid-century modern... I used papers from Carta Bella and some October Afternoon... gosh I miss October Afternoon...loved their vintage images but they aren't in business anymore... anyway  these have the look of a trendy Christmas around 1958... my childhood memories...










Sorry for the lighting... I took these pics around 1am... not ideal... but being a night owl that 's when I wrapped this project up.... put them in the mail yesterday so I can check that off my list of things to do...yeah!!

And not only was some stitching done this week but there was also some finishing... again I have no idea what has gotten into me... I have been very productive lately in several areas... hope I can continue in this way...we'll see...


So here's what I did...first we have from Pineberry Lane's Merry Little Stitches,  Deck the Halls sporting a more subdued hat than the chart...



And from that same Merry Little Stitches here is A Right Jolly Old Elf...


And along with the Christmas-y pieces I stitched and finished a new snowman in anticipation of the my Winter display... this guy is from Prairie Schooler No. 202 Evergreen... simple pillow finish with some sparkly turquoise rick rack trim...



And while the finishing mood had a hold of me I got out this snowman Alfred from Heart In Hand and sewed him into a little pillow with some plaid ribbon embellishment...


And the last piece I did was Snowy String by Lizzie Kate... I stitched this back in February but didn't get around to finishing it...


This one is quite large.. 13" in length... I filled it entirely with walnut shells... has a nice heft to it...

It was very satisfying to get these pieces FFO's ... and I feel virtuous in that they are winter pieces and they are ready to go... now I want to start The Drawn Thread Winter Welcome... I've already done Summer and Fall and I want to do Spring and Halloween in 2019...  here's a pic of Winter...


I 've been dragging my feet to get the flosses together as I need to do a conversion .. this is all charted in silks ...which are lovely...but pricey... I do wish she'd include a DMC conversion with these charts. They are so pretty and look so nice on my display shelf... The letters are charted in an Emerald Blue Dinky Dyes... I will look for a nice overdyed for them and maybe the reds for the house and the cardinal... that will take a little time...

So what is left to do... well there is still one Christmas quilt that needs a binding... and I found a whole bunch of unbreakable ornaments that I had planned to make a wreath with about 4 years ago... I may do the wreath... and I am definitely going to switch to Winter stitching... after today... today I'm going to do some Santa Sunday Stitching ala Priscilla... I wasn't happy with the linen I was stitching Silver Creek Samplers  My Christmas List...



So I started over on a piece of 32 ct linen that I don't remember the name of ... it is mottled but printed not dyed... I think it will be a nice subtle background that won't over shadow the stitching... I LOVE LOVE LOVE this piece and I WILL have it done for Christmas 2019... I plan on stitching on it every Sunday... so far I have this much done...

and there is a loooonnnnggg way to go...



The rest of the day should be quiet... doing dinner with my son and DIL on Monday instead of Sunday... however  the rest of the week has stuff planned for every day... so I want to enjoy today as much as possible.

I will link up with Kathy's Quilts and check out what's going on over there... lots of people getting things done for Christmas... hope that you have things under control at your house...

happy stitching-
carol fun

9 comments:

  1. I always enjoy catching up with you on Sundays. Rarely leave you a comment but I have gotten some great ideas from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new counted criss stitch list should keep you busy for a while! The jolly old elf is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Christmas cards are adorable....as are your stitched pieces. Have a very Merry Christmas Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your Christmas cards! I haven't made cards in a long time, but I love making them. I make a HUGE mess though when I drag all my stuff out! And your Christmas List sampler is going to be amazing...I love it already!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Christmas cards are fabulous; hope the recipients enjoy them. Your finished stitches turned out super plus you are ahead for your winter displays. I like that Christmas stitch you are working on. I think your fabric is vintage country mocha which is one of my favorites. You might consider Weeks Turkish Red, Gentle Arts Buckeye Scarlet or Class Colorworks Cherry Cobble for the red in the Drawn Thread piece. Have a super week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Christmas cards! A lot of work I know. And finishing all those ornaments-WOW!
    We do the sack wrapping here too and have even eliminated tags by assigning everyone a different color ribbon with which we tie the sacks up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute cards. Your friends and family should really appreciate getting them. I haven't sent cards out in a while, even the bought kind. Your cross stitch projects are so festive and merry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all the cute stitched pieces. I totally agree with you about the silks. Years ago I was stitching a big Quaker design. It used 4 colors. I realized that I did not have enough silk to do one of the designs so I stitched it in DMC, There is no way you can tell the difference and I can be very picky! That was the end of me buying silk that cost $4 a piece!! Your cards are truly little works of art. You think you have had bad weather, we had a wind storm Friday night and were with no power from about 6 on Friday evening till 2 in the morning last night. Thanks goodness for a generator we could use while we were awake and home. It got very cold in the house on Friday night!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely Christmas post. I absolutely love your cards! I send out cards too, real cards, the kind that open and actually wish me a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays.
    Such pretty cross stitch projects.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com