Sunday, January 13, 2019

Snow snow snow snow snow on Slow Sunday Stitching...

Cue Bing, Danny, Rosemary and Vera... Snow snow snow snow snow....


We got a couple of inches yesterday and a bunch more today... heavy and wet and I'm glad I didn't have to shovel it...my yard guy came with his snow blower and shovel... nice clean sidewalks and driveway.

Now you know I love snowmen... but on the inside of the house...without the cold ... and since I banished Christmas to the basement all the snow guys have come out to play.


Here's the display shelves in all their snowy glory...now I did have some trouble working in my large cross stitch pieces... the one on the top shelf barely fits and the one on the bottom had to be reworked. But I am happy with the results and that I worked in lots of bits and bobs I picked up at the Target Dollarspot during the Christmas season.... those flat trees in the back  and big snowflakes... the little metal buildings with the snow covered roofs ...and the toboggan that's taking my Jim Shore snowpeople for a ride! I took these pictures in the evening with the battery operated candles all lit up... I got a bunch of the little ones that work on a remote... don't have to reach into the house and turn them on...easy peasy... got them here at Amazon after seeing them on a video by Auntie Coo Coo...

Here's another pic ...and you can make the pics bigger to see more details...


I added the Prairie Schooler Winter season and there is a little needlepoint ornament with a cardinal that I made for my sainted Grandma over 30 years ago...


and the lower shelves with quilts and a small sled... did you notice the small red polka dot ornaments... I think they add a pop of color and I have several decor items that repeat the dots... the scarf on the snowman on the lower shelf... and this display ...


I had forgotten about the polka dot candles and found them when I was poking around bins looking for other items...and speaking of forgetting things... I had quite a bit of stuff put out but had a nagging feeling I was missing some snow people...and then it hit me that I hadn't found my Jim Shore snow garden person... she's little and cute and was no where to be found.... where could I have put her??  And then it hit me... do you see the large snowmen on the display shelves?  They are cookie jars and as such are hollow ...and I had stuffed them full of little snow people and totally forgotten about it... old age is definitely here...LOL

And I'm glad I found all the little guys, as what would I have to display on my tier table if I didn't have them??



Most of the little guys are Hallmark ornaments from the Mitford series of books by Jan Karon... I need to re-read them some day soon... they are so cute!

And I have the tier tray decked out...

A lot of stuff I used last year... I did add Alfred the snowman from Heart and Hands design and that snowman head at the bottom right was a Dollarspot find.  I put a string of the snowflake lights around the tray... they look so pretty at night.

Here is where I'm going to display my monthly calendar pieces for Hand on Designs A Year of Celebrations...


this is on the cabinet that has my tv on it and is directly in my line of sight... I like that!!

And I did a bit of decorating on the porch...


Another cookie jar on the top shelf...and the white houses are left over from Christmas and on the bottom shelf is a after Christmas bargain from Micheals...that large snowman head with the glittery aqua  and red scarf was originally $25... cute but waaaay too much money... snagged him for $5 the other day... perfect price!


And I love this vignette I put together... the tobacco basket is going to stay there year round and I'm going to change what I display in it... those skis came from the Dollar spot... $3... and the skiing snowman ornament with the glittery red hat was in my stash of decorations...

So I'm all winterized indoors for a while... I love all my snowmen... last count had me closing in on about 90 beady eyed little guys... and as my older son always commented ...can you make them stop looking at me...nope...can't do it...LOL

On the stitching front I only worked on All Bundled Up and have made some progress...


the leaves are all filled in and he has a face and arms... gonna work on getting the cardinal outlined (those are tiny gold boots for the bird on the top of the stovepipe hat)...and start doing the fill in. Not looking forward to all that white...white is always the hardest color to get to lay evenly... I try to get it as nice as I can but in the end you just have to go with the flow. As my sainted Grandma would say "it will never be seen from a galloping horse"...and it won't... because I'm not letting any livestock in my living room...LOL

So I'm not going any where the rest of the day... my son and his wife will trek the 2 blocks from their house to mine for dinner tonight... rotisserie  chicken from Costco, parmesan noodles, roasted asparagus, salad, strawberries and those King's Hawaiian rolls ... simple ... the calm before the storm of next week. There is an appointment I have to go to every day next week... why does it work out that way?? The Monday dentist appointment was made 6 months ago... and I have tickets to the theater which were purchased months ago to see Fiddler on the Roof on Tuesday...Wednesday the car needs an oil change and I'm pretty sure some mechanical work (I'm trying to prep myself for the price), Thursday my son has another appointment and it is the 3rd Thursday of the month when I get together with my quilty friends and Friday I'm taking my son to meet a friend of his... I am already looking forward to next weekend... there is nothing on the calendar for Saturday and only a brunch out on Sunday... I'm thinking I should take a week real soon and just tell myself I am on vacation and out of town...and not put anything on my calendar... I want a nice quiet week with nothing but stitching and knitting and sewing...and eating out... I like eating out...LOL

I'll link up with Kathy's Quilts today....I'm sure there will be some pretty stuff there to check out.

Hope you have a nice week ahead...

happy stitching-
carol fun

14 comments:

  1. Your snowmen displays are very pretty, perfect to take the gloom out of these snowy rainy dreary days! I like how you have lots of lighting mixed in, I'm going to borrow that idea. I love the fabric you are using on All Bundled Up. I also dislike stitching white, the reason I don't have many snowfolk. That is a shame, I know. Have a happy stitchy slow Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have just the best displays - such fun to look at! I won't tell you that here in Minnesota, where we should be up to our collective backsides in snow by now, the little we got earlier has all melted and there is none in the two week forecast. I'm sorry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it was so much fun reading this post! Everything looks amazing. I have to come over and see things in person. Also...I think I need to shop in the dollarspot more often. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you do love snowmen! Your displays are adorable. They are perfect for this time of year. In Ohio we have snow too. It's about four inches deep here. It's not wet and fun, but it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing your displays. Inspired to so some 'non Christmas' snow stitching for the post holiday. I just took down everything last week (Epiphany marks the end of the traditional Christmas season, so it always stays up until Jan 6.) And now my house looks so bare and drab. Hummm, I could put the garland back up with some snowflakes and crystal items....

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was such a fun and cute post. I do love all the snowmen, and snow ladies of course! Your displays are awesome. I did enlarge every photo so I could see all your cute things!! What is it about white floss??!! I have been stitching a ghost(not very seasonal)and the stitches look less than great. I love your Grandma's comment and I am going to keep it in mind when I stitch with white!! No snow here. In fact I have two daffodils blooming. I am actually not happy about that. I want them in March not January too weird plus who knows what a return of winter might do to them. My Cincinnati sister is in Florida but comes home tomorrow. She will get quite the shock!Have a good week and try to get a bit of "me"time with so much going on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all your displays. Everything looks so happy! I have the Target dollar spot skis, but mine are not white, they are natural.
    Where in Ohio do you live? I’m in Wheelersbirf, which is along the Ohio River in Scioto County. We were supposed to get snow, but sadly we didn’t.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many gorgeous snowmen at your home! I have a few treasured Jim Shore snowpeople too, sent to me from USA. There is no snow where I live. At the moment here in New Zealand it is summer, nice and warm, and I have been enjoying sitting outside under shade doing some hand stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a clever name for your blog...how did you decide on it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your snowmen look lovely, it's not something we do here in UK, but them we don't get that much snow either. I did leave some greenery out from my Christmas dec's, which makes the kitchen windowsill look a bit colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed seeing your winter/snowmen displays. I love that toboggan you found and the Jim Shore pieces look super on it. I hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Morning Carol Fun! Wow! You certainly have a wonderful collection of snowmen. I love the way you have decorated with them. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE seeing all of your decorated areas. Girl, you put ALOT OF WORK into that, and I'm so glad that you share with all of us !

    I like the pictures of your yard when things are blooming, but in a post like this, I would love to have spied a picture of your SNOWY yard. Next time it snows, maybe ? Love

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com