Sunday, May 5, 2019

Spring Decor Refresh on a Slow Stitching Sunday...

Hello... well I banished the bunnies to their plastic storage bins and brought out lots of birds to refresh my Spring decor... it was fun to add in some new pieces of cross stitch and some new knickknacks... I'm always on the lookout for small pieces that I can tuck in here and there and occasionally a bigger piece comes home with me too... so hard to resist a really cute knickknack...LOL

So I'll begin with the first display I put together... this grouping sits atop a little yellow glass front cabinet I bought at Target years ago... even before I owned this house... it was one of those pieces I knew needed to live with me someday... anyway on to the display...


New stuff here includes that watering can from the Target Dollarspot/Bullseye's Playground and my finally fully finished Funky Bird by Barbara Ana Designs...


I mounted this on an unfinished wood frame I picked up at Michael's and I "stained" it with Teal Rit dye... the color was perfect!



Then I moved on to my 3 tier tray... this has some knickknacks I picked up at Cracker Barrel and several newly finished pieces of cross stitch...


The Stack 'n Whack quilt is still one of my favorites ... love those petunias... and here is a closer look at the tray...


Starting with the top tier...


The tall piece is Little House Needleworks Birdhouse Alphabet... it is done over 1 thread on 28 ct linen... I stitched this over a year ago and it has languished till last week waiting to be finished... the shorter piece is one I showed last week... a snippet from the border of A Saviour's Praise by Shakespeare's Peddler... I'm very happy with this finish... just what I was envisioning...

The middle shelf has a Pineberry Lane little lady I've shown before but the bottom tier has another new piece of cross stitch...


The garden lady on the left is a portion of Pineberry Lane's Tansy, Yarrow, Rue and the little pillow on the right is another snippet from A Saviour's Praise... I was so happy to work these into a display right away. I'm going to do more of the little snippets as pillows like I talked about last week ... I love how they look... very simple and pretty...

Then there is my big shelf display unit... I was looking at pictures of what I've done with this piece since I got it last year and I've noticed that with each passing season I've filled it up more and more... and I like that ... A LOT... more is better because more is MORE... LOL



From top to bottom...I kept out the bunny in the big blue dress cause I just LOVE her...I used another little Pineberry Lane lady next to the Spring caddy, which got a refresh with some new silk flowers... notice the little frogs that flank the Lizzie Kate Spring?  They are salt/pepper shakers from Cracker Barrel... a whole 99 cents each and you can buy them individually...I wedged in a little Prairie Schooler Hedgehog I stitched years ago... and realized that I've done some unusual pieces from PS... I remember a worm... need to find him...the white lantern on the right side of this shelf is from IKEA... I put 3 little battery operated tea lights inside... they have a remote so I can turn them on without fiddling with the door ... they twinkle at night and I like the effect.

Next shelf has my version of The Magic Garden from Shakespeare's Peddler... dyed the linen with Rit dye and changed a ton of colors on this one... oh and the little yellow snail  sitting in front of this piece... another salt/pepper shaker from Cracker Barrel... they have such fun stuff in their gift shops... I got the little yellow birds on the branch from Hobby Lobby... I may keep them out through summer... and Mrs. Maguire's Garden is keeping company with a couple of ceramic watering cans... the big one is a Debbie Mumm teapot from eons ago... and the little one is ...another salt/pepper shaker ...this time from Pioneer Woman and Walmart... I really like cute salt/pepper shakers because you can tuck them in here and there and they are inexpensive knickknacks... and cute to boot!

Last shelf has a big white bird on a cake stand... the bird came from (and you heard this before) Cracker Barrel... I got it about 2 years ago... I saw the same bird this year but it is a green brown color... it has a light inside and you plug it in... a majolica plate from a long time ago... another Debbie Mumm teapot and another Pineberry Lane Mrs. Maguire... and to continue my broken record of description... the little bees... salt/pepper... Cracker Barrel... until I wrote this I had no idea how much decor I've picked up there... I do like the food too!!

And I have tried to get the monthly Hands on Designs Year of Celebration piece done before the beginning of each month... but this time I didn't start it till late... really late... but it is a pretty quick stitch and I was very motivated and I got it done by May 2...

 I "priscillafied" it with a gingham bow and a silk flower and yes that is another snail salt/pepper shaker... they were so cute ... and yellow ... and cheap... I bought 2...  here's a close up ...


I painted this 32 ct linen with Lemon Yellow and Coral and changed all the flosses to my choice of DMC.. now to get June done sooner rather than later...

but first... so much gardening I want to do... I stalked plant selections at a half dozen garden centers this last week...don't have everything I want but did get some gorgeous varieties of coleus and some petunias... but need more petunias... LOTS more petunias... I figure I need 36 to 48 just to do the window boxes. I was thinking of doing only one color in the boxes this year... but I'm still dithering on what color to pick... and I need to decide NOW... today and tomorrow are the only real sunny days forecast for the upcoming week... we've had so many gray rainy days... not conducive to digging in dirt... and this is a late start for me this year... for at least the last two years I've had stuff planted by now... but as I look around then neighborhood no one else has started yet either... I think we are all waiting for a nice stretch of sunny days but I don't see it yet ...

I'm having my son and his wife and Elliott over for dinner tonight... meat sauce and penne is the main course for us... Elliott will be doing formula... and next week on Mother's Day he will be one month old... the new parents are of course sleep deprived at this juncture... Elliott is a bit of a night owl... and they aren't... but it will get better... in a couple of years... but I'm not telling them that.

I'll be linking up with Kathy's Quilts today... hope you all have a great week ahead... I'm praying for more sun but the weather guys are all forecasting rain...ugh...

happy stitching-
carol fun

6 comments:

  1. Love your displays..so beautiful and seasonally perfect!! That first little "sprouts " runner is so cute...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your spring vignettes are fabulous looking. Well done on your May block from the Year of Celebrations! Enjoy the meat sauce with penne with your son and dil! Hope you get in some good cuddle time with Elliott. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at all your decorating....each and every vignette is lovely evoking a spring-filled ambiance. My goodness you have been busy. Love your little cross stitches and the little May pretty.....just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such lovely displays for hand stitched treasures!
    Enjoy Elliott!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope Grandma is getting to spend some quality time with Elliot. I do remember those sleep deprived days and nights! Your Spring displays are wonderful. I think you have truly mastered the Priscilla effect including the three tiered tray. Everything looks so Springy and lovely!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com