Sunday, November 3, 2019

Bouncing around like a BB in a boxcar on Slow Sunday Stitching...

Hello all... well how was your week?  And what kind of weather did you get for Halloween?  Here in SW Ohio,  it wasn't as bad as those areas that got snow but it sure was miserable... temperatures in the low 30s and high winds... the kind of Halloween where  you have to wear a coat and gloves and hat under or over the costume ... it curtailed the number of trick or treaters we got significantly... I think we only got maybe 40 or 50... on a good night we would have gotten 3 to 4 times that many... I didn't buy as much candy as I figured based on the forecast we'd have a low turn out...but I still bought too much... I did take one bag back to Target ... and gave some to friend of my son... and there is still a bowl of it in the kitchen taunting me...

As for what I did this week, well like my sainted Dad use to tell me... I bounced around like a BB in a boxcar... I did a little sewing and got the borders on my Christmas Quilty Stars  and the back pieced, but it took till Tuesday to get it to the post office... and I got the Enchanted Stars top completely sewn together... now  I need a back for it...



As for cross stitch I did FFO... which stands for Fully Finished Object...a couple of pieces in my quest to "turkey-fy" the house for November...

First off is November from the Hands on Designs A Year of Celebrations...


a simple  plaid bow and some bitter sweet flower accents... what makes me smile in this display is the little blown glass pumpkin... it was an unexpected present from my youngest son ... it is right in my line of sight from my stitching chair so I can enjoy it every day!

Then I FFO'd the Prairie Schooler November...


painted a clipboard picture frame I got at Kohls and added a bow with that pretty Fall ribbon and used a metal scrapbook embellishment to finish it off...another example of why I need ALL the crafty stuff!!

After that I mounted my Lizzie Kate Autumn piece on an art caddy I picked up at the Target Dollar Spot/Bullseye's Playground last Spring...



I got 2 of these caddies back then... one was painted turquoise and I mounted the Lizzie Kate Spring on it... you can see it here... this one was unfinished wood so I painted/stained it with Apple Green Rit Dye and added some silk flowers ...

And the final piece I got done is the Lizzie Kate Thankful String...


a different kind of finish... not sure I'm totally liking it... I painted/stained this wood board with the same Apple Green Rit dye, but it came out very mottled ... in places it looks like I dropped salt on it...but I didn't... but I like the look ... however, the board just fits the stitched piece with only a smidgen of room on each end... so I futzed with it and came up with this ...  I added the wood buttons that I also dyed with Tangerine ... Rit dye is so versatile...I'll leave it like this for the month... I mounted it with foam tape so I can easily take it apart  later if I want to... oh... all the linen used in these projects was either painted or dyed with the liquid Rit dye... I used 32 ct... my favorite size for everything except the LK Thankful String... it is 28 ct.

So with that all done I re-arranged my display shelves for November...







overall I'm very happy with this... I re-used some of the Fall stuff and added the new stitched pieces along with a vintage Debbie Mumm turkey tin, a Blackbird Design piece and an old Ewe & Eye & Friends sampler and the cornicopia from Target's Dollar spot... gosh I love that place... I get into so much trouble every time they add new merchandise... I'm lucky to have a Target less than 7 minutes from my house... I've been there twice this week and got some cute new things for Christmas and Winter...  I'm still working on my 3 tier tray so stay tuned for it next week...

And after this I bounced outside ... we had freezing temperatures and my beds were looking pretty bad... the coleus was mushy and the zinnias were crispy... so I went out and worked on cleaning them out... here's the results...


12 totally overstuffed lawn waste bags... now to drag them out for the trash guys on Tuesday... I still have to deal with the dahlia bed but it shouldn't be too hard... and I need to move on to planting the bags and bags and bags and bags of bulbs waiting in the garage... maybe I can get some in this afternoon.

Not sure what I'll work on this coming week... maybe one more turkey piece ... and then onto Christmas and Winter stuff... and I'd like to get that Christmas quilt I started last week sewn together... and I'm sure that something else shiny will cross my path and I'll want to work on it too... I am NEVER at a loss for something to do... just want more time in every day...

And if you've read this blog for any time at all you know that today is the day for my semi-annual rant against Daylight Saving Time... leave the damn time alone... I heard a report that 85% of people polled agrees with me... smart people... the sun will set by 5:30 this evening...too early for me... I also read where it takes night owls longer to adjust... and I am quite the night owl... and the older I get the longer it takes for me to adjust... in this 24//7 culture we live in we don't need to "save" the daylight... we are ruled by our electrical devices, not the sun...  just leave the time alone....  crawling down off my soapbox...

I'll link up with Kathy's Quilts today ... and later this evening...when it is pitch dark at 6pm... I'll take some time and check out what everyone else is up to this week... hope your week ahead is productive adn that you see the sun for more hours than I will... LOL

happy stitching-
carol fun


13 comments:

  1. You sure are a productive BB! Your November shelves are wonderful and I love the way you mounted your Thankful String...too cute. As for the time change - I'm with you and I'm not a night owl by any stretch of the imagination, but thanks for calling me smart! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a first time visitor to you blog... I am sew glad I stopped in to see your November shelf though... glad I was late in posting to Kathy's and you posted there too so YAHOO! You are so smart with the Rit dye too .. do you use liquid or powder start? Where do you buy yours online or at a store? I have coffee stained and tea stained with success but would like a permanent finish to a shirt I coffee stained but it didn't "stick" after a couple washings it was white again instead of tannish colored.
    Have a wonderful November and I agree with you Daylight should stay on summer time all the time! Leave it alone!!! lol Kathi in North Carolina :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful decorations! I had a neighbor who decked out for all holidays and I loved visiting in her house as it was so cheerful. I agree on the time change.... we in FL have voted to eliminate the change but the federal congress is not doing their job to pass it..... for over a year now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DST ranter here, too--just leave the time alone--one way or the or the other--this change is so difficult to adjust to...aaargh!
    Ok, nuff of that!!
    I love your Fall etagere...so pretty...in my quest for seasonal decorations I have one little quilted turkey runner I made this year, and a small porcelain pumpkin...pretty paltry....;(((
    and now the BIG holiday approaches--so onto Christmas sewing...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Turkey-fy.... LOLOL!
    So many interesting things to see and adore!
    Enjoy your hand stitching today! Those hands deserve a rest after all that yard work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I despise DST so much it was one of the primary reasons I pushed for the move to Phoenix from Wichita.

    I really like the quilt, simple but engaging. The needlework makes me smile as it reminds me of my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy touring your decorating with all the lovely cross stitch pieces. I think it is a good thing we don't go shopping together or you would make it impossible for me to stick to my plan of controlling the decorations I would collect for the seasons!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your beautifully presented display stand, full of gorgeous treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your finishes are always so lovely. It almost makes me want to X stitch again....lol. There are so many gorgeous patterns out there, but I don't know if my eyes can take it these days. No trick or treaters out our way; my friend and I went to the holiday Christmas show in a nearby town. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Your finishes are amazing! Lots of gorgeous eye candy here!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed seeing your fall/harvest/November decorations. Your quilt top looks super. I agree with you on the time change. Pick one and leave it that way! The "falling back" really messes with the dog along with his humans. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always enjoy seeing your stitching and displays. I am right there with you about DST. Pick one and leave it be.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well Carol, you did not disappoint! I was waiting for your time change rant. I totally agree. Here in WA state we voted to get rid of the time change. The idiots in Wa DC have to approve it or some such thing and they have been way to busy fighting to do that. Now isn't that just the cat's meow!! On to happier, I love all your Thanksgiving decorations. Your shelves look wonderful! I spent the last few days putting Halloween away and getting out Thanksgiving. I love to decorate for each season as they come.
    t that a mess!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com