Sunday, July 5, 2020

Lost and Lazy on a Slow Stitching Sunday...

Hello all ... yes I haven't been here for a while... have I been off on some exotic adventure... is the groecery store exotic??? cause that's all I got... mostly I've been lazy where posting is concerned. I have put some stuff up on Instagram... you can always check me out there...  https://www.instagram.com/carolfun53/...   I've been involved in a bunch of different house and garden projects. My son and his family got moved into their new home, but not until I ended up being  the general contractor getting things painted and fixed up before hand... and then after they moved into the new place, I've been doing the same job for their old house so they can get it fixed up and put on the market... I don't mind doing it, but it takes time... and I've been busy in my yard... lucked into a great deal on some 1 gallon perennials ... $3.49 each... from a very reputable local greenhouse... obviously mis-marked at the local Kroger's store... I ended up buying 36 of them...

and I'd already planted about 25 other 1 gallon perennials and I bought a couple at the garden outlet  and another 8 or so the other day at the hardware store ... so more than 70 plants have been added this year... and right now it is looking good... hope they can hang in there...


That massive leafy thing on the left is a volunteer pumpkin... I should probably get it out of there as it has covered some yarrow, and a dahlia and a small boxwood... but it is the most prolific grower in my garden... the seed must have come from the pumpkins I had in the window boxes last Fall...


Lots of stuff in these 2 bed included 2 cabbages there in the back... again this may be a mistake as they are getting huge... I've never grown them before and had no idea those little bitty seedlings would get so ginormous...

Mother Nature has turned up the thermostat to broil for the next 2 weeks... temperatures in the 90s ... only saving grace is humidity isn't too bad, but I'm watering twice a day...petunias are already looking a bit bedraggled...

.

and yes there is another monster pumpkin plant in the front yard... I trimmed it back a bit as it had grown out of the bed and into the lawn and my lawn guy would have mowed it over... I've never had any luck before growing veggies so I'm shocked at how these have taken off...


On the crafty front I have gotten some stuff done... told myself I didn't need any new patriotic, but then I NEVER  really listen to myself...

I stitched up this sampler from Blackbird Designs... Stars and Stripes, Schoolgirl Sampler Series .... chart dated 2003...







a piece of unidentified 32 ct yellow linen I splashed with diluted Rit dyes in Scarlet and Royal blue.  That frame/stand has been in my stash for a couple of years... saw Priscilla put a Prairie Schooler monthly chart on it... got it marked down at Hobby Lobby and have been saving it for the right project... I think this vignette is looking good.



I also stitched a snippet of With Thy Needle & Thread's Summer in Baltimore...

it is finished as a flat disk... 32 ct linen I painted... and the tier tray is looking good, if I so say myself ... and I do...LOL


That top piece is a freebie from Notforgotten Farm...

I finally got my large shelf display put together the day before the 4th...



The only new piece here was a partial stitch of another With Thy Needle & Thread... this is Where Liberty Dwells... I left off the words at the bottom of the chart...



I sewed up a couple of flag blocks to make a table runner... you can see the free pattern  from Diary of a Quilter,  here....


I have more cut out to make a quilt... all vintage Debbie Mumm fabrics... hope to get to it before July is over... will be late for this year but ahead for next year... I have 3 quilts waiting downstairs, to have bindings attached, and two more that will be returning from Quilting by David soon that will also need bindings... I have a bed size top almost done... and I foolishly started a SAL for another bed size quilt ... that is definitely languishing... and I want to refresh my quilting studio... replacing the table with black tops, with tables with with tops, replacing 5 black IKEA Billy bookcases with 6 white IKEA Billy bookcases... I've been wanting to do it for a while but has been a low on the list of things  I've wanted my handyman, Dan, to get to... once he gets done with my son's old house (in a week or two) he may have time... then then I checked IKEA and the bookcases are out of stock...grrrr....who knows when all this stuff will get done...and while it may seem like I'm not lazy I sure feel lazy... maybe it is the heat...maybe it is my disgust over all that is happening in the world...not gonna mix my politics with my crafty stuff... I dislike seeing it on IG... I just want to see pretty stuff and buy pretty things... I don't need to know any philosophical  background as it isn't a deciding factor in my purchase, never has been... I want to make pretty things to escape reality... just my opinion and yes I realize what I just did... sorry... 

Anyway... I'm gonna sit on the sunroom porch and veg ... maybe watch a flosstube video or listen to some music videos and stitch a bit and nap... I'll link up with Kathy's Quilts and see what everyone else is up to... not too much on the agenda next week... a followup for my eye... got that cataract zapped ... easy peasy... shouldn't have been concerned... vision is so much better... will spend lots of time watering my plants and will probably have to break down and water the grass... I hate to water the grass as way too much water ends up on the sidewalk and I always get drenched setting up the sprinklers... maybe some day I'll have my yard outfitted with sprinklers...ooooohhhh... that's an idea I need to think more about... 

Hope you are having a good week... 4th of July here was unbelieveable... since all the local municipalities cancelled their public fireworks shows, it appears that every private citizen in my town bought their own pyrotechnics... and set them off continously for about 2 hours last night... honestly I have never in my 66 years seen so many fireworks at the same time... it was deafening ... and surprising as setting off fireworks other than sparklers, snakes and snaps is illegal in the state of Ohio... not many people seemed to be concerned with that detail... I think a lot of people bought fireworks and thought they were the only people on the block who did so... surprise... everyone on the block did it... sheesh...I did feel sorry for those people with skittish pets and those suffering from PTSD... it was not a good situation... wonder what Labor Day will bring...hmmm...

take care...happy stitching-
carol fun 


5 comments:

  1. When we headed to Dad and Mom's lake property on the 4th all us kids would stop off at the fireworks stand and pick up some. Dad was always amazed at the variety in our selections. Very rarely did we have any duplicates.

    You aren't the only one disgusted with what's going on. Hopefully everything will right itself and we can get back to just being loud-n-obnoxious Americans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so excited to see your blog post - woohoo!!!! Yes, I know I'd already seen your Patriotic beauties on IG but there's something about seeing everything on your blog that makes me soooo happy! LOL You are a huge inspiration to me, Carol. I wish I could share more with you but just know that you do inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooooh! You GO girl!!! 36 perennials (great price)! Add that sprinkler system and your yard will practically be "maintenance free beauty" year after year! :-) I stopped watching/reading news and prefer the gardening, stitching, music listening as well... so many negatives in the news (that I can not control) so why fluster over it? What ever happened to "Be The Good"... that's all I can do to help anyways... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lots of great eye candy here, Carol, both of the craft and nature variety!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There re so many reasons I love your blog. Of course I do love the stitchy stuff. I was impressed how you pulled that Eagle out of a bigger design. I have to start looking at designs like that. Thank you! Thank you for what you said about crafty things and all the problems this country is having. I look at IG for cross stitch ideas, I really don't care what other folks think about politics, etc. It is also an escape for me and I want to keep it that way. So when a post turns political I stop reading !! Your yard looks wonderful. I am very frustrated. We have had a cool and wet time up here and the slugs have feasted on my dahlias, Plus Bambi found my yard and has breakfast there every morning! I'm seriously trying to decide how to fence things off. I hope you have a good and relaxing week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com