Sunday, November 1, 2020

So where have I been ....

Some of you have been wondering where I've been... I've gotten a couple of emails and even a lovely card from Di (QUILTINGISBLISSFUL)checking up on me... thanks for your concern... as for where I've been... I HAVE BEEN NO WHERE... unless you call being in a funk somewhere... that place, I have been to... I'm still stitching and sewing and knitting and gardening but there is a underlying feeling of frustration and anger that I can not shake... I have treated myself to some retail therapy lately... THANK YOU Hobby Lobby... your fully stocked shelves of holiday goodies has brighten a day or too... and the Dollar Spot at Target has teased me with a couple of cute Christmas trinkets.. hope there is more to come... and some online shopping... got several new charts and a quilt kit...I'm really really really trying to treat my condition... and isn't that a great excuse for spending money??? Almost as good as my personal mantra that "I'm helping the economy"...

Well you didn't come by just to hear me whine so I'll show some pretty pictures... I know Halloween was yesterday but here is a look at my displays...

The shelf unit...

A new arrangement of cross stitched pieces I did previously... that big house plate on the 2nd shelf was a marked down purchase after Halloween last year... I grouped all the pumpkin headed gals together... started stitching a new one but didn't get it done... next year... oh and I did this little Prairie Schooler piece...


I changed the date to 2020 because I can't think of a year I'd like more to be dead and gone...

The quilts... Halloween Swoon on the back of the couch...

The spider quilt... I glued googly eyes on...


The tier tray...

New items added this year are the bug eyed Frank and Bat... they are from Heart in Hand Halloween Parade...

 and that Haunted House Rae Dunn piece... a birthday gift from my super shopper friend Stephanie...

If you want to see  more pictures check out my Instagram here and here and here...

I feel like I just got all this stuff out and later today or tomorrow I'll be putting it back into the plastic bins and getting out my Thanksgiving stuff because before the month is over I'll be getting out the Christmas stuff... how does time go so slow and so  fast all at the same time???

And speaking of Thanksgiving I did a little turkey stitching... 

This guy I started last year and got finished... he's Prairie Schooler...


And this guy is a freebie but I don't remember from where and my print out has no identifying marks...


And last night I got out this Pineberry Lane chart called Gather... it is from the Quaint Country Ladies Club at Dyeing to Stitch... 

Except I'm not using the linen they sent... this is something I painted a while ago... 


and I'm not using all the flosses it called for ... I've already changed the scissors and the basket and there will be more changes to come... some are because it is suppose to be stitched on 36 ct and I assume one ply over two threads... but I'm doing 32 ct and 2 ply over two threads so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have enough of several of the flosses they sent... so I'll sub in my choices...oh the blob on the left is going to be the lady... 

And I never use to think of myself as a stitcher who was a serial starter but it appears that I am... this week alone I've worked on 4 different charts... this one Heart & Hand Sampler from With Thy Needle & Thread has been one I've wanted to stitch for a long long time...  I dyed some 32 ct linen with Rit Teal dye ... it is deeper in color than this picture is showing...


And a trip to Joanns had me lusting for this Christmas wreath...I thought about making it but if I can get it for 50% off...which I think will happen this week... the wreath would be $30... and I know I'd end up with more than $30 in the materials alone... so I NEED to buy this...anyway...


this got me to thinking about a pink and aqua Christmas display out on the sunroom porch... I have a piece or two that I've stitched in those colors and I remembered I had started the Lizzie Kate Christmas ABCs...

so I dug it out and got another line done... there are 8 lines so I still have 5 to go... excuse the wrinkles...


This is 36 ct and I'm using 2 ply over 2 threads and it is very nice coverage... this piece of linen is not a real tight weave so I'm not having any problems with the thicker thread... and I have a recollection of another sampler done on a pink and turquoise linen in my stash... which leads me to another idea... right now my charts are sorted alphabetically by designer's name... I think I might go through all my charts ...and that is quite a few... about 3  boxes 13" square... no wait 4 boxes (I should hang my head in shame but I won't...LOL)... and pull out the seasonal charts... Christmas, Halloween, Easter, Fall, Snowmen, Chickens...yes Chickens are seasonal and yet year round at my house... anyway I think this might be a good idea for when I want to do something seasonal but can't recall exactly what I have... and it should make for an enjoyable afternoon perusing my stash... maybe I can do that this week... 

And as for the week I'm not seeing much on my calendar... I haven't been babysitting for a couple of weeks as my daughter-in-law's sister has been staying with them and she's been watching Elliott...however I have seen him every week which is always fun... I went to watch him "Trick or Treat"... he was dressed as a tree ...think green sweater, brown corduroy pants, green hat with some faux ivy garland wrapped around him and some faux leaves on the hat... it was adorable but he had no idea why we tied him up in fake leaves... he liked grabbing the candy and watching the other kids...too bad they won't let him have any candy yet... luckily his Grandma's give him ice cream and cookies when they babysit... it is our job to spoil him, right???

Those who've read this blog over the years know that this is the day for my semi-annual rant about Daylight Saving Time... and you know I DETEST it!!   While this change does give you an "extra" hour of sleep (the damn hour they took away in the Spring)  it does nothing for my body clock... I wonder if anyone has done a study and looked at whether people who live in areas where they don't change the clocks twice a year, live longer??  This has to take a toll on everyone's body... one that I don't think is necessary at all.  I know I've signed petitions to have it halted but nothing ever happens... which leads me to wonder (and yes my mind wonders and wanders a lot) who is making money off of the time change?  Years ago I assumed it was the makers of batteries and smoke detectors but now days the come with batteries that last for years ... so who benefits?  If you know please let me know... it won't make me happier about the time change but I'll have one less thing to wonder about...LOL

I'll link up with Kathy's Quilts today... need to see what everyone else has been up to ...and check back here tomorrow... I have some quilt stuff to show... I made a new quilt for my younger son and I got 2 Christmas quilts back from Quilting by David and there is a quilt top on my design wall... and I'll let you in on my plans to change the furniture in my sewing studio... I've been to IKEA waaay too many times in  since they re-opened..

Hope things are going well in your little world... I don't know how people in places like  Michigan and Pennsylvania and California are putting up with the lockdown restrictions... in Ohio we've gotten back retail stores and dining inside but not attending the theater (I miss going to see stage plays) or concerts or sporting events ... and I'm concerned that we may see a lockdown again... which doesn't help my funk... saying my prayers every day for a return to the life we had back in before this all started... 

happy stitching-

carol fun 




10 comments:

  1. Hey there!!! Nice to 'see' you! So many awesome pictures of everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clock changing - Yup, they've done studies and accidents go up twice a year. Spring is worse than Fall. I live in Arizona. I moved here for two reasons, my asthma and getting away from the clock silliness. Summers are brutal here in The Valley, but everything else balances it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol, you've been a busy bee....keep it up...helps with the funk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Halloween display is amazing... so many fun things to see! I just love how you paint your background fabric for some of your stitching... so beautiful! Hope your stitching helps to relax and make the time go by quicker.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Carol, so good to "see" you. Unlike me your "funk" is very productive. Keep up with the stitching, I like seeing all that you accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Halloween display and especially the Swoon quilt. I'm with you on all the rants!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back! Your decorations and stitching are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad to see you are ok---I was just worried you or a family member was really ill--and am so relieved to hear all is well--well that is except the mental part--and I do believe you and I have lots of company this year more than any other year with that problem--!!
    do love all your works finished and those that are in progress--and I don't know where the time went as I did not get out any fall decorations --yet--it's too late for Halloween--but think there is some T-giving things in the box--maybe one day this week--it is hard to get in the 'mood' to do fall living in Florida as we are still having high 80's in the day--though today it has been raining all day!! Well--I will let you get back to the fun stuff--take care--
    luv and hugs, di

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Halloween decorating looks like a lot of fun. I must say, your Halloween Swoon quilt looks beautiful covering your sofa. There is nothing quite like a little retail therapy to make one feel a little happier. Enjoy your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sew love the Halloween Swoon quilt on the couch. I'm not sure why we still have daylight savings time. At one time I thought some states were rethinking it but Texas still follows the Fall back and spring forward tradition. Different things have starting opening up to 75% but plenty of places couldn't make it and have closes. I'm glad to get out when I can which isn't too often. I get a little apprehensive worrying about catching covid. But tomorrow I'll go back to my quilting bee with my mask on and distancing in the room. Nice to have human contact

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com