Sunday, May 30, 2021

Ordinary stuff... on a Slow Sunday...

Hello all - first off I want to thank each and every one of you who come and read my ramblings each week... this blog has become a diary of my life... and for the most part not a lot happens...but as I get older, the more I like that ... I'm not into surprises or drama ... I just want to be able to stitch and sew and knit and do crafty stuff and read and work in my garden ... oh and go out to eat... I'm really into going out to eat!! LOL

And this past week that is just what I did... I started off the week, when it was waaaay too hot, working out in my yard... I planted 21 1 gallon perennials... they were bargain priced at a local garden center that is the Big Lots of plants... you never know what they are going to have but it will be a good price. I got some shasta daisies and some day lilies and some pestemon and some sedum... fingers crossed they settle in and bloom...  I planted about 100 dahlia tubers...  I had no idea I ordered that many back in January until I opened the box... it was a BIG box... but I LOVE dahlias and they were easy to plant in the raised bed... and I planted some more seeds and I did more clean up... and after a several  hours of that  on two different days, I was too pooped to do anything more than sit and mindlessly look at things on my computer.

I did do a little stitching on the stocking... plugging away at it... and I did a bit more cross stitch...this is Flag Folk by Not Forgotten Farm... 

I  LOVE that big vine... want this done for July... lots more to stitch...

As for sewing I got all the block sewn together in rows for that flag quilt from the County Seat quilt book ... but I still need to put the last 3  rows together and get borders on it... and that's another thing I want done before July.

I did a few more block for the High Tide Remix pattern with the Tiny Treaters fabric...

I have all 20 blocks cut out but I'm not thrilled with what I think will be the layout... lots of black and that orange is kinda in your face... but I will admit it looks better in this picture now that I look at it from a distance... the blocks are super easy to sew... less time to sew than to cut out I think... maybe I'll get back to them this week.

I want to re-do the seasonal decor in my living room... put away the tulips and some of the birds and get out some of my garden cross stitch... I started rearranging some stuff last night... found a quilt that will fit on the wall of the living room... realized I have to quit making big quilts and focus on smaller ones... but they always seem to get away from me... I sewed some 2.5" squares together to make a table runner for the white shelf unit in the living room...

still needs a border at each end and to be quilted and bound... every square is a different tone on tone yellow and I LOVE the white print with the straight pins...

it is a Lori Holt fabric called Pin Drop... the pins are a silver metallic... too cute!!

I did get the binding on one of the  3 quilts I got back from Quilting by David this week and I put together a  small patriotic display down in my sewing studio... 


The quilt is the flag pattern from Amy Smart... it is free and you can see it here... I'm glad I was lazy and didn't put borders on this as it wouldn't have fit on this wall... again I need to remind myself that not every quilt has to be bed sized... 


The banner came from Hobby Lobby ... the cross stitch is Grand Olde Flag by Brenda Gervais... knickknacks are from here and there... I think the red spools came from the clearance at Joanns after Christmas... I knew that someday I'd have a place for them...  

And I love this quilting panto... it is called Mike's Swoosh...


Oh, the washer and dryer were delivered and set up without a hitch... the delivery guy measured the doorways before they took the appliances off of the truck to be sure they would fit... he had obviously delivered stuff to older houses before... they do have more bells and whistles than the vintage ones but my son and I figured out some basic settings that we can use for 99.99% of all of the loads of laundry ... actually my son does the laundry ... and he likes things simple and consistent... he's happy with the new machines so that makes me happy and he did several loads this week... life is good!!

Don't have any big plans for the upcoming week... one doctor appt for me... a semi-annual check up ... already did the blood work and got the results ... my doctor emailed and said it all looked great so no changes to the 2 pills I take... not sure how much we have to discuss but I'll show up... 

The weather last week swung from one extreme to another... it was 90 degrees when I was out working in the yard... then it got rainy for a couple of days and Saturday was down right cold with a high of only 55... upcoming week looks nice... temps in the 70's... good weather to sit out on the sunroom porch and stitch... the cicadas haven't been too bad so far... now they are incredibly noisy in the morning but quiet down as the day goes on... I haven't been bothered when I was out working... saw some shells here and there but they weren't buzzing my face so I'm thankful for that... I figure we still have about 5-6 weeks of them... I shall be glad when they depart.

And I'll leave you with a picture of my pyramid of petunias... it is looking good...


I'll link up with Kathy's Quilts today... I always enjoy seeing what others are doing...  

As for Memorial Day tomorrow... for those who have passed we must Remember their service, Honor their sacrifice and Treasure our Freedom... this is the land of the free because of the brave... 

God Bless America!!


happy stitching-

carol fun 

6 comments:

  1. HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY...love your decorations--that pyramid of petunias is so gorgeous...love it...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Memorial Day. Love your beautiful decorations and flowers. I need to go get some more soil. I have been working outside every day, but it is supposed to get up to 105 today and for the next couple of days. Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 100 Dahlias!! Your garden is going to look amazing in a little while! Dahlias are the happiest of flowers. So many gorgeous sewing pretties here. Your patriotic display is awesome; a most amazing quilt! Love too, your High Ride Remix blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The flag quilt turned out awesome! Love the decor and can't wait to see the flowers! Working on a book pillow today for Bea's first trip to the beach! Cicada's not too bad here either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I just love that pyramid of petunias!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com