Sunday, October 3, 2021

Getting some stuff done on a Slow Sunday...

Well another couple of weeks have passed and I'm still not sure what crafty direction I want to go in... so I bounced around like a BB in a box car (my sainted Father's most accurate description of me, even as a child... and I don't seem to have outgrown it... sigh)... I did some Fall themed cross stitch... I knitted some scrappy monster socks... I sewed a Fall quilt top and I did some decorating...which is all fine and dandy but it is now Halloween and I've done nothing for Halloween inside... but I did "decorate" my house outside... pictures are included in this post... 

Let's start with pictures of stuff that I did do and then we'll talk about what I'm going to do... or what it is I think I'm going to do, which is subject to change... arghhh...

Fall themed cross stitch... everything I stitched was on 32 ct I dyed myself ... various shades of gold... tried to reproduce something I did a year ago... didn't come out the same but it is pretty... I'm in awe of people who dye for retail sales... I suppose if I actually measured stuff and kept records I could possibly duplicate a color... but that's not how I roll... LOL... it is always a surprise for me...anyway...

Give Thanks by Threadwork Primitives... I actually finished this about a month ago...forgot to post it here...


Ever so Grateful by Threadwork Primitives... I subbed in smyrna crosses for the blocks of 4 stitches... I like the texture...oops I just realized I cut off the z... trust me I stitched it...


I think I'm going to finish both of these Threadwork pieces as thin pillows... maybe with some pom pom trim...

Waiting for the Harvest by Blackbird Designs... this chart in found in the book Winds of Autumn... 

 

 I changed the colors... left off the initials... left off top border as it wouldn't line up with my crows because I stitched all 4 of them one row short... argghh...  made the piece symmetrical... again I'm thinking thin pillow that I can tuck into a display or maybe a dough bowl or basket....hmmmm....new display idea??

And I did 2 little pieces...and I do mean little... from the Pineberry Lane pattern called Cats & Jacks ... this one is Jack... I left off the top part...


And this one was called Nasturtiums... less than 2" tall on 32 ct...

And as before... small pillows... and I found 2 pieces I stitched a couple of years ago ... need to spend an afternoon or two making this stitching fully finished ....

Scrappy monster socks... I haven't done a pair like this for quite a while and oh I really really enjoy this... I made this for the IG .... #monstersockkal2021... . I think this pair is particularly ugly/pretty... all Opal yarns...


Got my Jelly Roll Whirl top DONE... I started this in 2020 for the Sew a Jelly Roll Day... got it out again this year...these are my FAVORITE colors in the whole wide world... I am a child of the 70's... avocado green, harvest gold, burnt orange, coppertone... I have vivid memories of my Mom repainting every room in the house in these colors ... I think if social media had been around back then she would have been into it too... she was quite crafty... taught me to sew ... I was doing hand work at  6 years old and by the time I was 7 she let me sew on her beloved Kenmore sewing machine... anyway here is the top...


Its about 72" square... numerous Fall collections from Sandy Gervais... background is Elafin Grunge...hard to get the colors right... fabrics are green, olive, brown, turquoise, purple and light prints... I tried to scatter the fabrics and my plan was that no 2 same fabrics could touch and no 2 of the same color family could touch... I think I succeeded ...but if you find a spot where I didn't I don't want to know about it... as I was assembling the 35 block of this quilt it occurred to me that I could have arranged the fabrics so that there would be a row of "dark" whirls and then a row of "light" whirls made just from the light prints... but since I didn't think of it until it was waaaaay too late, it didn't happen... but it might if I make this pattern again... very easy... oh here's a link to it... its a freebie... Quilt Jane's   Jelly Roll Whirl... right here... and if you go here she has lots of other freebie jelly roll patterns. 

As for decorating here is my big shelf display... I color blocked the individual shelves and I like the look... lots of BBD pieces... Feast of Friendship is one of my all time favorites... 


Feast of Friendship is one of my all time favorites... 


These two - Patchwork Pumpkin and Bittersweet September were club pieces when I stitched them... they both appear in the Winds of Autumn book... great book... 

A bit of Barbara Ana and some Lizzie Kate and lots and lots and lots of pumpkins... 

And this might be my favorite wall quilt... it started with a panel from the Sandy Gervias collection Tranquility... I wanted to use all 6 birds...filled in the extra spaces with improv pieced blocks... LOVE it!!


I did get a new tier tray..this is from Target... I like that it has no lip on the edge so you don't have to prop things up and it is tall... you can put bigger things on the bottom... 


So that's where things are... maybe today I'll work on getting out my Halloween stuff... I do not know where September went to but I assume October will fly by just as quickly and then I want to do a nice Thanksgiving display... cause I've already purchased a couple of new Jim Shore Thanksgiving pieces that I can't wait to display... and then there will be Christmas... acckkk!!!  There need to be more time to enjoy and savor all the seasonal stuff, doesn't there??

As for what I think I'm going to do next... I have started a new BBD Christmas sampler... and I have a Prairie Schooler Christmas chart I started last December... I think I'm going to move on to those pieces... and I have a Christmas quilt top I started last year too that could use some attention... and there are a couple of samplers calling my name... I found 2 BBD ones kitted up in my stash... temptation abounds... and another pair of scrappy monster socks.... and who knows what else... I really should sit down and make a list... maybe putting everything down on paper would give me some direction... or just a headache...LOL

Hope you are having a nice Fall season... we are finally getting some cooler weather. I've worked in the yard and cleared out some spent zinnias... filled about 10 yard waste bags... the yard looked bare, and the resin pumpkin idea I had hit a snag as they are still only 40% off everywhere and that's more than I wan to pay... soooooo,  I went to my local feed and garden store (the Big Lots of garden centers) and bought a few, a couple, a bunch... okay okay I bought  50 pumpkins to decorate the window boxes and the yard... I love that pumpkins don't need to be watered... I sprayed them with Repels All... here's a link... it stinks ... but it dissipates... seems to be keeping the squirrels and deer from snacking on the pumpkins... fingers crossed...and I picked up about 10 mums... they aren't bloomed out yet but should be pretty when they do and will add some color to the yard... and my son helped me get out my Halloween inflatables ...so I guess I did do some Halloween decorating...LOL




I've already had a couple of nice comments on the yard from neighbors... the kids really like it and that make me happy!!


Okay I'll be linking up with Kathy's Quilts and checking out the eye candy there... you take care... find something to do that makes you feel good... 

happy stitching-

carol fun 



..


9 comments:

  1. Well, you've been a VERY productive BB! So many fun additions and pretty projects. I love your panel quilt. I never know what to do with them, but I have a few that I need to use and I love your layout and scrappy blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful projects, and decorations! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been incredibly productive and obviously having so much fun! I want to come play with you! What time works for you? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol, you never cease to amaze me. Your posts are always so much fun and full of inspiration from stitching to quilting to decorating. You do it all so well. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Jelly Roll whirl is just gorgeous--loving it hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilting and cross stitching. Lots of nice BBD which I love too. You’ve done a great job of decorating outside and on your shelf too. I agree the smaller projects would make great bowl stuffers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh Carol, your house looks wonderful!! I just love all the pumpkins! I have done more Fall stitching too this year. I like it because to my mind it can be up from Sept. until I decorate for Christmas. I hesitate to have Halloween up too long really only in October. You have really stitched some very pretty things. I think I will do the extra Thanksgiving piece that came with Women of the Mayflower, then on to Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com