Sunday, May 22, 2022

How green it is in my little world on a Slow Stitching Sunday...

 Hello all - I'm writing this on Saturday... sitting out on my sunroom porch... it raining cats and dogs... I love sitting out here and watching in come down without getting wet... and everything is getting so green!!   I've been working in the yard whenever the temperatures allowed. I know it is  meteorologically speaking still Spring but it sure has felt like Summer... several days close to 90... and plenty of thunderstorms... I will say I haven't had to water much at all.

So when I was last here it was Mother's Day and my younger son dedicated his whole day to helping me in the yard... and boy what a BIG help he was!!   We planted about 11 flats of annuals.... zinnas , petunias, marigolds, coleus., cleome... a couple of one gallon  perennials...  I counted some stuff... 80 zinnas, 50 marigolds, 42 petunias, 24 geraniums.... it was a a LOT of stuff... but boy does it make me happy happy happy!!!

Then last Sunday I was at it again and got my dahlias in the new raised bed... 175 dahlia tubers to be exact!!!  


I know I know ... it doesn't look like anything now, but just wait...  I'm loving our new patio set and the hanging ferns...

And here's an update on the pyramid of petunias... looking good!

 
Compare and contrast to just 2 weeks ago...


I looked at the pictures of them marigold bed and they're not doing as well. It has bounced back and forth a lot between hot and then wet... I think I'll add some seeds to it and hope that fills in well. Of course I want everything to be in full bloom RIGHT NOW... which is ridiculous cause we got a lot of  Summer still to come.

Since I couldn't plant any more today I popped into the garden center just before it rained and picked up a couple more plants... cause you can NEVER have too many flowers/fabric/floss/charts/yarn... you get the picture... LOL


Got some new to me varieties of perennials... just need for the daffodils to die back a bit more so I can clean out the beds and make room for them.

This is one of 2 pots by my garage and its looking good...

Cannas and calibrachoa petunias and some salvia that is already getting swallowed up... the cannas already have blooms starting...and I love the burgundy color of the leaves... 

And I stumbled upon these petunias... I've never seen a petunia that was yellow and green before... 

The tag says Danziger Ray Pistachio Cream and here is a link to them.  I've never heard of this plant company before but they have some interesting looking stuff.  I want a really pretty ceramic pot for these and all of mine are already full so maybe I do some shopping tomorrow as it is suppose to be rainy then too. 

And from all the petunias outside  lets segue into petunias in the house... my living room wall...

This quit is an oldie but goodie... a Phillip Jacobs print I Stacked n Whacked ... and I got a new tier tray...

I got this on Amazon you can see it here... I like the whitewashed finished, the scalloped edge and it has a nice amount of height between the tiers.  I picked up that cute little turquoise chair at Michaels ... a nice way to display a small... and I love the turquoise theme I've got going here. 

As for another display in my living room I've got a green vibe going on ... and I've got other green stuff to share too... 


You know yellow is my favorite color but green ... all shades of green ... are a very close second and in getting my knickknacks and seasonal cross stitch pieces out I find I've done a lot of stitching  with green...

Here's one of my more recent finishes... Brite Birds by Kathy Barrick... it was a freebie you can see  here...

I've had this frame for a while... I think it came from Micheals... the roof and the bird and the clips were black and I painted them with a couple of shades of green... I stitched a single bird from the piece for the 2nd clip spot...

And at the other end more birds stitched on green and in green...

The bird with the spool of thread is Bobbin' Along by Notforgotten Farms and the little pin pillow is Birdhouse Alphabet by Little House Needleworks... my foray into doing over one on 28ct...like the look, not a fan of the actual stitching part. 

Below another freebie this time from Hello from Liz Matthews ... you can see it here... I used some variegated Sulky for this ...


An oldie but goodie from The Drawn Thread that I can't recall of the name of... oh wail I just found it when I was searching for something else... it's called For the Birds...


And some little pin pillows which are snippets from the border of the A Saviour's Praise by Shakespeare's Peddler.... you the whole thing here ...


And yes I do have A LOT OF bird knickknacks... I LOVE birds... I'm sitting here typing and watching them a my feeders right now... there was a pair of cardinals just a minute ago... 

Oh I mentioned how green things are in my little world at the beginning of this tome... and here's the stitching to prove it...

First I finished the Blackbird Design  A Tribute piece I started on the Saturday before Mother's Day ...


I'm very happy with how this turned out... I may have this one professionally framed... I'm thinking a small gold frame would be very pretty...

And then I did this small...

This is Hello Spring from Sub Rosa...you can see it here... its a PDF download... I want to finish this as a little pillow.

And I found this WIP and it totally fits my green vibe...


That green is really intense IRL... like deep pea green... this is The Queen's Garden by The Scarlett House which you can see here and the queen has her head...  

I'm thinking of putting some of the Spring decor away and getting out more summer-y stuff for a couple of displays ... and I think I'm going to get out the patriotic stuff by mid June... gotta get some stitching done for it. 

I'm trying to keep myself busy... the yard work is great for my mental health and right now I'm enthused about cross stitching...and I've even gone down in the basement and sewed a couple of blocks for that Bonnie & Camille quilt on my design wall.   I find the world right now is making me crazy... and on a personal level I'm dealing with dental issues again... ugh....double ugh...triple ugh... the tooth that I thought about getting the root canal re-done is going to be pulled on Tuesday. I did some research and the probability of successfully re-doing that 30 year old dental work is not high ... and  I'd end up having it pulled anyway... after spending several thousand dollars for the procedure... so I'm skipping that  part and moving on to an extraction and prep for an implant. I'm doing the IV sedation again... my regular dentist recommended it because my mouth is very small ( I know I know you'd never think that if you heard me blather on in real life, just like I do here, but it is)... my mouth is hard to work in ... so I'll just spend the bucks with the oral surgeon... if you are so inclined a little prayer at 8:00 am on Tuesday would be appreciated... I'm a bit anxious but it went well last time, and I'd really like to have a day when my mouth doesn't hurt...that hasn't happened in a couple of months and I'm tired of popping ibuprofen like they are M & Ms... 

So gonna keep busy this week with stitching and maybe some sewing...don't think the weather is going to be conducive to more planting... forecast is for stormy weather...

I hope things are well in your world... I'm so glad I do have my garden and my crafty stuff to keep me occupied..I'll be linking up with Kathy's Quilts today... and spending some time seeing what everyone else is up to... 




8 comments:

  1. Always enjoy your flower and needlework tours, Carol! Hope all goes well with the dentist on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love every bit of your Spring Green. So beautiful. You'll be on my mind Tuesday morning. Healing prayers, hugs and thoughts going your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful little stitcheries you create! Good luck with the dentist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no on the tooth pain. Hoping for relief for you after Tuesday. Your flowers are beautiful as are your stitcheries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so enjoy your little themed set ups, Carol;)) I am thinking of starting some little framed quilted pictures to use about my house. Your garden pots are looking fantastic...I haven't done any of those this year with my back issues it is just too much...[hoping this will end soon].
    Take care and hope your tooth woes are taken care of easily for you hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  6. I check your blog regularly--pls keep on showing all your bird "littles" and displays. With a last name like "Finch", I'm always watching for new ideas for my home! Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy seeing your pretty displays. Sorry to read about the dental problems, never a nice thing to go through. Hope all goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought I planted a lot with only 2 flats and some extra plants. Wow! Your petunia pyramid is gorgeous! I love all of you green/bird stitchery. Your displays are so pretty. I hope everything went well yesterday with the tooth extraction. I know all about having a small mouth.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com