Sunday, June 16, 2024

Trying to catch my breath on a Slow Sunday...

 Hello - well I said it was going to be a busy week but somehow that didn't really sink in until I was in the middle of it... and it left little time to get crafty stuff done...I think this week I can catch my breath...  I'm still doing some patriotic stitching that I'd  like to have complete and put into my displays by July 4th... I started 2 new pieces ... one small and one with a LOT of solid stitching...a BIG house with an alphabet, which I do adore... we shall see if it is a finish for this July 4th or next July 4th....and I have plans to sew... have 2 quilts that need bindings and 1 or  2 or more quilts I'd like to play with...

I did get the green bow ties sewn together and taken to Delinda to be quilted...

I like how this turned out... and I posted on IG that this is a FREE quilt... no new fabric was purchased to complete this top ... and in fact some of the fabric is old old old... old enough that it could have voted for Clinton... Bill not Hillary... LOL... several people on IG remembered some of these vintage Jinny Beyer's...


and others had the same fond memories I have of getting fabric off of the flat fold tables at Hancock's in Paducah when the flat fold tables had bargains galore... sigh... those were the days... the last time I went to Paducah (which has been a while ago) the flat fold tables were kinda pitiful and they were definitely pushing their shelves of precuts...now I'm a BIG fan of precuts but they don't hold a candle to the allure of pawing through a pile of fabric!

I picked up 2 quilts from Delinda... and I'm working on getting the bindings on them... I want the one on my bed ASAP... it is cool and summery looking and with the temperatures getting into the 90's ...yes the 90's ... every day this coming week I'll be longing for cool .... I'm feeling very virtuous that I got my new AC installed last month... it  is going to get a work out...

The gardens are looking great right now... however twice daily watering is in my future with the soaring temps... here are a couple of dahlias I'm loving... 



My displays are shaping up nicely... I was able to FFO both of the saltbox houses from Pinker n Punkin Quilting.. Freedom House and Sarah Jane's 1776 ... gosh they are so good!!!  ...and the little Uncle Sam from Stitching with the Housewives' Proud to be an American...

some pictures... front...


back...


and a solo...



Here they are in my tier tray...


And here is the BIG picture... I do love that quilt with the big eagle and the bunting... again Debbie Mumm does great patriotic!!

I'm loving this little 2 shelf insert in my TV cabinet... 

up top is a freebie from Notforgotten Farm... you can find it here... the cutest little Lady Liberty (got her a year or so ago at Michaels) and Free and Brave from The Drawn Thread... I popped this into a new frame this year... the red was perfect right out of the packaging...

below is another freebie, this one  from La-De-Da ... you can find it here.. and a snippet from Lady Liberty by  Chessie and Me.... you can see it here... I subbed in a chicken for the cat she always includes.   


Now with that scorching forecast for the upcoming week I think I'll be hunkering down in my underground lair... aka my basement sewing room... like I said,  there are several tops I'd like to play with but right now this one has taken center stage...


okay last week I thought I would set these giant ... 8.5"... hexagons side by side... but after looking at them for a while I wasn't digging it... all smoooshed together they just looked mushy... I want each and every one of them to shine as I am pretty much fussy cutting each and every one of them... so I'm going with this tried and true hexagon format... easy to sew together and I'm using some of my cherished and hoarded favorite Debbie Mumm fabrics... the bees!! oh how I love this print...  it will be the triangles around every hexagon... I had it in every color way but several are now just small pieces...I have some yardage of it on the beige and I'm going to break down and use it... I ain't getting any younger... if I don't use it now it may never get put in a quilt...sigh... my plan for this is a double bed sized quilt... according to my calculations ( and you all know my math skills aren't stellar) is I need 105 hexagons... I'm thinking 5 color families... red, blue, green, yellow/orange, brown/black... Debbie had tons of reds and blues to it will probably skew that way ... and I'm really  not sure how many of the black ones I want, but one or two of the Halloween ones are super cute... it will be fun to go through my many many many bins of Debbies... refolding them and returning them to their plastic holding pens...not so much... we shall see how long my enthusiasm holds out on this one... LOL


As I type this on Saturday the upcoming week looks less crazy than last week was... fingers crossed that it works out that way... I know I'm old because the things I thought were punishment when I was young like staying home and taking naps... those are the things I really LOVE now...  I hope that the week ahead is a good one for you too... I know many of us are going to be sweating... so stay hydrated... be cool... 

I'll link up with Kathy's Quilts and Quilting is more fun than Housework .... I'll be out watering early and then I'm headed for the basement

happy stitching-

carol fun 

1 comment:

  1. You have been so busy, Carol The bow tie quilt is beautiful . I have always wanted to piece one. Oh my your a patriotic houses are gorgeous! It is so exciting to see your finishes! I love the colors that you chose- perfection. Thank you so much for stitching them. Uncle Sam is as cute as a button. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com