Sunday, September 22, 2024

Itty bitty and Jellyrolls on a Slow Sunday...

 Hello - well I have quite a mish mash of stuff to share today... but first my perfunctory weather rant.... it has been HOT... upper 80's low 90's... this is NOT Fall... we had another week with NO rain and we are officially in a drought. Heard it is the driest September on record.... and my lawn can testify to that in a court of law... my flowers are slowly dying and right now the plan is to put them out of their misery and cut everything  back this coming week. I did hear one weather guy say we might get rain Monday and Tuesday... that would be wonderful!

So I stayed home a couple of days and lo and behold I got some stuff done!  First lets talk about the itty bitty stuff ( and yes I have Alan Jackson singing in my head)  I stitched 3 smalls from Prairie Schooler No. 164 October... and they are very itty bitty smalls... just a tad over  2" high...and I got them FFO'd!

I closed the backs with a leaf for some Fall flair!

And I love how they look in this piece of McCoy pottery which was a birthday gift from my family!  I don't think I've ever seen McCoy this color before... but it is clearly marked McCoy. 


I've got a small collection of McCoy pottery and I like to use it now and then in my displays. 

I also FFO'd the 2 little leaves I stitched from the Bent Creek Autumn Soapbox...


and I'm displaying them in this leaf dish with a cute bird on it that I picked up at Michaels a week ago... 


It goes nicely with the bird quilt on the wall and the garden fairy riding a bird and the little bird salt & pepper shakers that also came from Micheals. I do LOVE a cohesive theme!!




I'm still working on the Primrose Cottage Autumn Quaker and I dyed some fabric and pulled all the threads for the Bent Creek Autumn Soapbox but haven't started it yet... maybe this week... or maybe I'll work on Harvest Tiny Town by Heart in Hand... going to pop into Hobby Lobby for the flosses  and see if I have any fabric in my stash to stitch it on... 

And my sewing mojo paid me a visit this week, what a surprise! First off I went downstairs and took the American Jane Honeybun quilt off my design wall...it was taunting me and I couldn't take it any more...soooooo,  it is resting comfortably in a plastic bin for the moment... I'll get back to it but  Fall was calling my name and I had to respond. 

Now it also helps that yesterday was National Jelly Roll Day and I love love love to start a quilt on that day... and this time I'm playing with my Sandy Gervais fabrics as she does wonderful Fall fabrics... I started with this jelly roll, Adel in Autumn from Riley Blake... and it is sitting on my background fabric which is Moda Grunge in the color way Curry...

And here are my strips all cut and ready to go... this is a combo of the Adel in Autumn jelly roll and strips from past collections of Sandy to make this a very scrappy quilt. 

Now I'm doing the pattern Marbled Cheesecake from the book Jelly Filled by Vanessa Goertzen of Lella Boutique... I showed this a couple of weeks ago when I only had one block completed and now I have 2 vertical rows done.


Here's the pattern ...

Here's the book...


These sew up quickly and I haven't had pin anything yet... I'll need to pin when I do the vertical rows but that's okay... 

And then I got sidetracked with another Fall quilt idea... I have a ton of little pieces of Sandy Gervais fabrics left over from other Fall quilts and the majority of them are about 2.5" wide... 

so I cut a bunch of them into 2.5" squares and started to sew little 4 patches... I got the idea from a recent post from Melisa at Pinker N Punkin Quilting... she showed a cute little quilt done with 4 patches and I got to thinking I've never made a quilt with 4 patches ... but I want to....and so I did...

now my plan is to make this a throw... about 48" wide and maybe 60" long... as you can tell from that pile above I have plenty of choices... I'm making most of them with matching squares but some are mis-matched... I like mixing it up that way...

And in going through the bin with all my Sandy Gervais fabrics I found an end piece from a panel and there were these 4 cute little birds who are exactly 2.5" square... 

now that I think of it the panel was from the collection called Tranquility and that's where the bird blocks came from in the quilt on the wall... and doesn't that show how nicely Sandy Gervais' many Fall collections play together? 

My plan is to include a bird square in a 4 patch in each of the corners of this quilt... here's the first one I did...

Now I will say the Grunge fabric I'm using in this one isn't photographing well... it is a warm tan with some  splotchy gray... I think it is called Tan and if you look at it here it is a better capture of the color.  I really wish Moda put identifying numbers on the selvedge of Grunge... no matter how many times I think I'll remember the name I forget it... sometimes I have written it in the selvedge with a Sharpie but not this time. 

I'm switching back and forth between this 2 tops at the moment but I'm going to have to pick one and take the other one off the design wall eventually cause they aren't both going to fit at the same time. Both of these are nice fun simple sewing... I like that a lot...

Now plans for next week include Elliott on Tuesday and lunch with my quilty friends on Wednesday... and yard work maybe Thursday and Friday?  Not my favorite part of gardening but it has to be done... sigh....so currently the upcoming week looks relatively quiet... and that should give me time to stitch and sew... and that would make a very nice week.

I'll link up with Kathy's Quilts and Quilting is More Fun than Housework today... I hope that your upcoming week gives you plenty of time to stitch and sew too!

happy stitching-

carol fun 



1 comment:

  1. Love your little xstitch finishes, so adorable. And cute quilt projects too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com