Sunday, October 20, 2024

Getting Halloweenie on a Slow Sunday...

 Hello - as I type this on Saturday afternoon it is a glorious Fall day! Sunny, low 70s and the trees are starting to put on a show... I was afraid with the lack of rain we've had for the past 2 months that we wouldn't have a pretty Fall but I think Mother Nature is gonna come through ... I LOVE all those Fall colors... they have me remembering my home in the 70s... my Mom was fearless with a paintbrush... harvest gold, avocado green, coppertone brown... they all graced our home...and I loved them then and I love them now!

I had high hopes to get a lot of stuff done last week... but then I always have hope I'll get everything done I want to do... and I am delusional...LOL... the week flew by ... there was something going on every day so I'm happy that today and tomorrow are a bit of a break... only plans are for dinner Sunday night at a new restaurant in town... Texas de Brazil... one of those places where the keep coming to your table with meat and they have a fabulous salad bar... my boys definitely get their money's worth and I know I'll waddle away stuffed.

As for what I did do... well I got the Halloween decor out... Nick was a big help ... I can not do it without him... my first dilemma was how to arrange the 2 x 4 Halloween quilt on the couch... here it is on all it's glory...

There are 90 different Halloween fabrics in this quilt and if I say so myself... and I DO... I think I did a great job getting an ombre effect... 

Here are some of my favorite blocks...






Now I posted this on IG with a poll as to which way was liked better ... 

Showing the bright side...


Showing the dark side...


and the vote was 75% bright to 25% dark... and I do like the bright side a lot... but then my friend Laurey has another suggestion... why not drape the quilt over the entire couch... and I like this a lot! Now the dark side faces my stitching chair and the bright side is over the back ... and yes the blocks are upside down on the back which does bother my crafty OCD but if you just concentrate on the colors it looks really good!

Here's how it looks right now... and yes there are too many pillows... gonna rectify that...


I'm gonna live with this for a couple of days...

I got the spider quilt up on the wall... I love the big googly eyes...


and it looks like he's checking out the pumpkin and the witches hats mini quilt.


Here's the tier tray... the cross stitch at the top is a Lizzie Kate piece and I think I might be able to squeeze in another small... gotta get some stuff FFO'd.


Across the room is the small shelf display... and if I say so myself and I do... I think the Halloween colored linen I painted really makes the stitching sparkle!


On the top from left to right... some great ceramic pieces and a little Lizzie Kate tombstone... stitched this during covid which I fervently wished would die in 2020...


On the right I have Lizzie Kate ABC's Halloween... don't remember where I got the "EEK" sign but I love it with the eyeball salt & pepper shakers... a tip... salt & pepper shakers make great small additions to displays... I found a lot of cute ones at Cracker Barrel for $1 a piece however the eyeballs came from somewhere else...anyhow...


Below on the left side a Creepy Crawly Alphabet by Emily Call ... I "framed" this in a clock piece where I ditched the clock face and inserted the stitching... and the small framed piece is on the orange linen I think is Lizzie Kate.. on the bottom shelf .. the witch is a snippet from Prairie Schooler and the bat is from Heart in Hand Halloween Parade... (the only place I could find this was on eBay... perhaps OOP) in the center I did a homage to Edgar Allen Poe... got a raven and Nevermore is from Lizzie Kate and some flickering candles)... 


On the right side... big pumpkin basket from Henn Pottery (remember home parties? Longaberger and Henn Pottery were big in my neighborhood) ... and below a grouping of Frankies... aka Frankensteins... the cross stitch is from the Heart in Hand Halloween Parade chart and I think the only thing I've bought this year for Halloween, those Mr. & Mrs. Frankenstein salt & pepper shakers ...you can find them here. 


Of course I had to get out my Gourdy Guys wreath... and yes it took quite a few hours for this one and it always makes me smile...


And my largest Halloween cross stitch piece... Lizzie Kate Boo Club... this was released as separate cards ... I think there might have been 12 but this was all I could fit on the linen I painted as I miscounted how long it should be... it's plenty big enough and wouldn't have fit here if it was any longer... 


I'll have more Halloween decor next week... stay tuned!

As for stitching, I got a little done... I finished Turkey Creek Manor by Pinker n Punkin...


going to FFO this as a little pillow with some chenille trim.

And I stumbled upon this little piece that was almost complete... January from Prairie Schooler No. 13 A Prairie Year... I have plans to stitch all 12 of these. I'm using a 16 ct Aida in Wren... like the color, don't like how soft it is... gonna spray starch each one before  I stitch them... jumped ahead and put some stitches in the turkey for November.


And since I got my Halloween stuff out I'm in the mood for more Halloween ... was perusing 123 Stitch and found these 3 Halloween Prairie Schoolers I did not have... so  I've added them to my growing Prairie Schooler collection...so many Prairie Schoolers to love!



The only thing I used my sewing machine for was hemming some pants for Nick, but the most important sewing I did this week was re-attaching the pink pompom on this squishmallow for Elliott... he was very grateful that I could fix this lovey!



So plans for next week... Elliott on Tuesday and birthday lunch celebration with the quilty ladies on Wednesday... which should leave plenty of time for some stitching and sewing and some tidying up that is sorely needed... we shall see how that pans out... 

I'll link up with Kathy's Quilts today...will spend some time checking out the postings there... 

I hope you are having some nice Fall weather where your are... as Anne Shirley of Green Gables said "I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers."

happy stitching-

carol fun 



3 comments:

  1. Your 2 x 4 quilt is awesome!!! Love the ombre effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't go wrong with Prairie Schoolers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore that ombre Halloween quilt! It looks fabulous in your room. All of your decorations are wonderful as usual.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com