Monday, February 4, 2013

A little snowman on Design Wall Monday

We got a bit of snow this weekend. No where near the 3 inches they forecast, more like less than an inch. Nevertheless I thought I'd play with the snow idea and I stitched up this sweet snow guy.


This is a pattern from Buttermilk Basin and you can see that my color palette differs significantly from the pattern.



In real life the white felt is sparkly, just like real snow. And my snowflakes are flocked buttons that I cut the shanks off and used hot melt glue to attach. The button on his body are beads and they cast a shadow. I used wool felt for all of the design and I used my machine blanket stitch to applique it


Now this yellow 8" X 8" piece is mounted on the 12" X 12" base and it hangs on a little wire table stand. The pattern for the base layer calls for it to be crazy quilt pieced and embellished with decorative embroidery stitches. I took an easier path and made the base from a crazy quilt Mary Engelbreit piece of fabric. I've purchased another pattern in this BOM series and it will be easy to change the center for a different seasonal design.




Now my Scrappy Trips quilt increased by another 4 blocks. I love this barn raising style. I think I'm going to call this quilt my "Three Ring Circus" quilt since I should get 3 concentric rings of the black fabric with this arrangement.




Some of the novelties I added this week include more chickens and cutlery...



These sweet girls... my youngest son thinks the one with glasses looks like me.  Oh he flatters me...LOL!



And these cute robots...




As always hope springs eternal that this week will have a significant amount of quality sewing time. However there are also several cleaning and purging projects on my agenda too. I will never ever ever ever ever run out of things to do.

Don't forget to look here to check out other design wall on the Patchwork Times.

Happy stitching-
carol fun

18 comments:

  1. Love your snowman. I am really getting into applique because of beautiful pieces like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute snowman and fabrics too. We got about an inch or so too. Our street we live on is still icy and snowy but the main ones are clear and the sun is out. Looks like it will be a good day, weather wise. Be warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - oh, you look so cute in pigtails! Your snowman is wonderful! I love the bright colors - what a fun project! Perfect name for your Scrappy Trips quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Karin I, too, love your pigtails - so cute! LOL

    Love your snowman - so YOU.

    Scrappy Trips is adorable - applause, applause!!! Love the name - perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your bright and colorful snowman. Very creative assembly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awe...what a cute snowman! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not shocked that your snowman is resting on a crazy quilt background that is so bright! He looks quite comfortable and happy there :) Your scrappy trip is rockin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your snowman is so much cuter than the original! and now I think I need to find fun novelties for another scrappy trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That snowman snow globe is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute snowman. So much cute fabric you have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I clicked on your blog past because of the snowman - I love snowmen, but I was here last week too - I'm in love with the quilt ! Can't wait to see next weeks progress !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just love your projects, Carol!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done! Your blog is always sunny, even with snow on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Always fun to see the colors on your posts ~ especially on a grey, dreary day ~ just makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I love your snowman! :) The fabrics you have used around him are awesome. :)

    Blessings always

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your snowman is delightful. I have a three panel hat and but have yet to do anything for it. Sigh. Love your scrappy trip. It really is FUN! Thanks for the eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The snowman is adorable. I love those scrappy trip blocks, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com