Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Arty or awful or alright? for WIP Wednesday

So I finished that sweet, summery, almost vintage-y quilt on Monday and turned right around to start another quilt which is pretty much the antithesis of sweet. This one is bright bold and modern.


The pattern is called Paint Chips and it is featured on the cover of this new book by Karla Alexander called Stack, Shuffle and Slide. You can see it here on Amazon. I bought this as a digital download on my Kindle instead of a paperback. I'm not sure I like it better than a real book but it is certainly less money and there are no storage space issues.



I was intrigued by this one but found the colors she chose not to my liking. I know there are plenty of you who love the gray trend and the solids trend, but it doesn't float my boat. I decided a palette of bright colors would really jazz this up. I'm using 11 different colors in this quilt including the background. They are all a tone on tone dot print called Dream Basics by Timeless Treasures. You can see them here where I bought them at Fabric Shack. Love that store!


I've made 12 of the big blocks and I have 8 more to go. The block on the right was the first one I did. It only called for 3 fabrics but I knew right away that wasn't going to be enough for me. I snuck in that bit of red and as you can tell all the rest of the blocks got busier and busier and busier.


The book gives you a schematic as a starting point and off you go. I did lots more shuffling and sliding and slashing than it called for but I like the motion it gives the blocks...they kinda vibrate...in a good way... at least I think so.


When I started this I thought is was arty and then I moved to, oh my gosh this is awful, but now I'm back to its alright. I think the addition of the littler art blocks in the sashing and some cool quilting will make this sing. I'm also thinking it would be cool in batiks. Oh no, I feel a series coming on - LOL! Does two make a series?

I'm linking up with Freshly Pieced WIP Wednesday -you can get there from here.





14 comments:

  1. I think this could be really fun. It would look awesome with simple white sashing to let those brights really pop. Maybe you can even find a white on white print to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. Black sashing would set it off, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is great - love the colors. It is definitely not awful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha to your thought progression , but I agree it looks alright :). Modern and bright is good to play with. A solid sashing would settle it a bit, but I disagree with black or white. Charcoal or deep blue maybe? Where is your very busy brain taking you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this one a lot! I can't wait to see what you do with the sashing and quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Artsy or not, I like it! I agree with the charcoal or blue suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your take on this quilt is right on the money! Why make something boring, subdued or (I'm sorry to say) depressing? Your colors will be cheering anybody who looks at this quilt, and to my mind, that's what the world needs... some cheering. Bravo PDChick. You done good.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually don't like very modern looking things but those squares are quite pretty! I love the way you put color together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's artsy. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooooh love this and love the bold colors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks really cool. Love the colours and the technique. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not my usual type of quilt, but I like it!

    It has motion and verve!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've read elsewhere that this pattern has errors in it. Did you find that the pattern was correct?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com