Monday, June 16, 2014

Unbelievable - 2 finishes in 2 weeks - on Design Wall Monday

Unbelievable - I finished 2 tops in 2 weeks! I don't know how long it has been since that happened, heck I don't know if it has ever happened before. Now I wasn't under any deadline, I was just swept away by this quilt.



Its BRIGHT, BOLD and I think AWESOME! I never made anything this art-y/modern before and it was a lot of fun. I started with this book by Karla Alexander, Stack, Shuffle and Slide - you can see it here.

This is her version of this pattern called Paint Chips.


Loved the design but not the palette. I chose 12 different tone on tone prints from the Dream collection from Timeless Treasures. You can see them here where I purchased mine at Fabric Shack.

Now I started with her basic instructions but ended up slicing and inserting lots of bits and pieces which I think adds more interest to the blocks.




When I showed my blocks on the blog last Wednesday and several people had suggestions as to what color I should use to set them. I appreciate all your opinions but I had decided before I began that the light turquoise was going to be the one. I don't think I've ever made a quilt with a turquoise background and I wanted to see what it would look like.

 I know this style and color palette isn't every one's cup of tea, but I'm loving it. Now to think about how to quilt it. And while I mulling that over I decided that I need to make this quilt pattern, again, RIGHT NOW!! I put together this collection of batiks. Aren't they luscious?


The gold leafy print will be the background. I'm thinking I may make the blocks with less bits and pieces and inserts. I need to sew a few together and evaluate. Good thing is I can always slice and dice and make them busier.

Hope you have a great week!

Happy stitching!
carol fun

19 comments:

  1. It belongs in the Museum of Modern Art! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the turquoise is awesome! I was wondering what you would decide on. Very nice! Can't wait to see the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it and it is my style!!! I am making some this summer once I replenish my solid stash. I have turned into a more minimalist as I age. I still love my Civil War prints but they aren't vibrant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it and it is my style!!! I am making some this summer once I replenish my solid stash. I have turned into a more minimalist as I age. I still love my Civil War prints but they aren't vibrant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These pictures don't do the turquoise justice, can't wait to see it in person. Turned out very artsy, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun way to make a quilt. I haven't seen the book before, but I love the results.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the turquoise! That dark inner border really sets it off. Awesome! Can't wait to see this one quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun is that?! I'm not typically drawn towards modern design either, but I can see why this one was too much fun to pass up! I would call it "Rebel" with or without a cause or "Renegade". Ohhh...or "Wild Child". :) I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The turquoise is pretty! I was against the black or white as I find it too plebeian and typical for a "modern" quilt. Great job getting another top done so quick!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love your quilt. Can't wait to see it done in batiks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the way the whole thing turned out. If my kids had ever seen how modern a quilt can look, they might have wanted one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great quilt! Your background choice is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on having such a productive streak! I really love the improv nature of the paint chips quilt top, and the colors are so fun. I love working with batiks, and your pull is very luscious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Indeed, I like your bright bold colors in your version.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great finish! I love the rich, vibrant colors!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your color choices and the light turquoise actually looks like a greenish gray on my computer screen.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your colour choices and your extra slices and inserts. Very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with you Carol - the quilts ARE awesome. I love the bright colours of the first one and will be very interested to see how you quilt it! amazing speed, amazing quilts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com