Monday, September 18, 2017

Bloggers Quilt Festival... Fall 2017 edition...



I was so happy to see that Amy Ellis of Amy's Creative Side was hosting another edition of the Bloggers Quilt Festival. I always see so many wonderful quilts in this event... so much inspiration! I looked back through my blog for this year and I had no hesitation in picking this quilt as the best one I've done this year....hey it is perhaps the best quilt I've done in a long time... LOL!!



Scrappy Happy Tulips

I love everything about this quilt... the chunkiness of the tulips. the scrappy fabrics, the bright colors and that lovely yellow border. The glamour shot was taken on my neighbor's porch... I like staging quilts there for pictures... she has a great railing.

And here is a pic of the whole quilt on my lawn...not as glamorous but it shows all the tulips...


This quilt will  look lovely on my full size bed this coming Spring. It will be so nice to have tulips as I don't plant any in my yard... they are my favorite flower but it turns out that they are also the favorite dining choice of the deer in the neighborhood.  I made the mistake of planting a lot of them the first year I lived here... it was a giant buffet... not doing that again...LOL!


The pattern for this tulip is from Lori Holt's Scrappy Project Planner.  The fabrics are all from Sandy Klop's American Jane collections... I LOVE LOVE LOVE her fabrics. They have a vintage vibe with bright clear colors.  I had so much fun sewing these blocks... sorting though my stash and finding just the right fabrics for each one. And it stretched me in that I didn't make every single stem and leaf combo green... the purist voice in me said "tulip leaves are green"... but the artist voice  said "hey girl,  blue red and yellow are perfectly acceptable leaf colors"... the artist voice is a lot of fun!!  I chose a Baptist fan quilt panto  and my long arm quilter Terry Finnerty did a lovely job ... I really like the variegated thread... such a pretty accent.

Here are a couple of my favorite blocks... 

My favorite flower is a yellow tulip... this is the purist take on the block ...notice green leaves and stem!


And here is the arty version... blue leaves...oooooohhhh.....aaaahhhh....LOL!


And I didn't have a lot of the aqua fabrics... I think they've only appeared in one American Jane collection.... notice the cat who is sewing in the middle square.... I love little details like that!


When I started this quilt I thought I'd make every tulip just one color... red, orange, yellow, blue, pink or green... and then one day I thought  "why not make a mixed color tulip?"... wish I had thought of it sooner as I LOVE how they turned out and wished I had made more..


Love the little chicks in the red square..



And this one has that cute tape measure print...


While I was taking these quilt pictures I accidentally got a nature shot in...



I know a cricket on the hearth means good luck and good health...do you think that hold true for a cricket on a quilt???  I hope it does!!

And here is one last picture of my Scrappy Happy Tulips... my dear son struggling to hold the whole quilt up above his head... he tried really hard but it was just more quilt than he could wrangle. He's a good son!!



I hope you enjoyed looking at my quilt post ... please go and look at all the other wonderful quilts that are part of the Bloggers Quilt Festival...you can find them here. And a big thanks to Amy for hosting this wonderful event.

happy quilting - 
carol fun 

22 comments:

  1. Love your scrappy tulips they look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a joyful quilt. The Baptist Fans pattern is the perfect quilting to go with the tulip blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty! I love how scrappy and happy it is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! I love your scrappy tulip quilt. It is bright and cheerful and just makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun pattern. I love all the different colored stems. So much more interesting than just green.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun, cheerful quilt! I love the yellows, makes everything else sing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now, that is the kind of garden I really love. (and a great way to use up scraps). I guess I need to make a sketch and add it to my bucket list. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much fun in one quilt! I love all the little details in Sandy's fabrics too - adorable. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, that is such a lovely quilt. It was great seeing close-ups of several tulips. You do have a good son, he certainly tried!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can see why this one is your favourite quilt. The tulips are stunning and the whole quilt looks wonderful. A great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed seeing how you combined the different fabrics for the individual tulips. It is so cheerful and charming, I couldn't wait for spring to put it on my bed!! Gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a bright and cheery quilt! I rarely use yellow, but it's stunning in your quilt! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your tulips I would love a close up of each and every tulip to see the fun surprises in each

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty!! Love all the colors. It's a happy quilt. Tulips are one of my favorite flowers. I used to have a huge bed of red ones...until the deer ate them. So I planted day lilies...they ate them too, even though the seed catalogue says they are deer resistant. I guess the deer can't read.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a happy quilt - I agree, everything about it is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super cute quilt! I just love seeing tulips in a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a huge fan of Sandy Klop's fabrics too and use them all the time. Love your tulip quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Carol,
    Your son did a great job! I agree, this quilt makes me happy and it makes me think of my mom. She loved tulips and I made her several wall hanging with them on it. It never occurred to me to make a whole quilt of them - darn it. Maybe I will make one in her memory. This is beautiful and inspiring. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a cheerful quilt! Give your quilt holder an extra hug.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com