Saturday, September 16, 2017

Its National Jelly Roll Day!!!!



Hello all you hungry quilters... it is National Jelly Roll Day... the fabric kinda jelly roll...not the bakery kind, although I could really go for a slice of a pumpkin cream cheese jelly roll...just saying.

I've been thinking about this for a week or so and decided what my plan of action would be...

First this is the jelly roll I've selected from my stash...



Spring - a - ling by American Jane



As for the pattern, I'm using...


Two Step from Missouri Star Quilt Company

I've been wanting to start this quilt for a while so National Jelly Roll Day has given me the perfect excuse, justification, reason to play with this pattern. 

Now the pattern calls for 56 plain 5"  squares, and I'm not capable of doing plain squares so I'm using  charm squares from the many many many charm packs of American Jane fabrics that I've collected.



I rarely use the lights from a collection as I usually pick just one to use for the background. Now I'm glad I've done that as I have a wide assortment to use... love the novelty ones...zipper  and letters and punctuation marks and adorable little chicks...along with polka dots and flowers...some cute stuff here. 

I've opened the jelly roll and realized that there are some light strips I don't want to use in this quilt, so I've cut some additional strips from my stash making a hybrid jelly roll. It is good to have stash, isn't it? 

Now I've sewn some of the strips together and sliced them up and make one block to be sure this is going to work...



and it does!!!! Happy happy little blocks!

You can see the video tutorial for this quilt here.

Okay, I'm off to a lunch engagement but I'm going to hurry back to sew more blocks... I'll update later today when I have more than one measly block to show.

Start your sewing machine and show the world what you are creating today!

happy stitching -
carol fun 

2 comments:

  1. I agree, plain squares are boring! That's like pie without whipped cream! Your blocks are going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fabrics and I love American Jane. I like what you are doing to make blocks. The quilt is going to be so cheerful. I can't wait to see your progress.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com