Monday, March 4, 2019

Sunny quilts on a Sunny Monday...

Well it is very very cold outside but sunny... I can take the cold if the sun shines... the snow event they predicted wasn't much... it stuck to the grass but not streets or the sidewalk... hope it is the last snow of the season.

I've gotten a bit of quilting mojo back and have some stuff to share... I think getting my quilts turned around so quickly with Quilting by David is motivating me to get things done... even old UFOs are enticing me to release them from their plastic bins and finish them!

First off is this quilt top...



The pattern is called Ruffles by The Pattern Basket...you can see it  here.  Very easy... I added cornerstones and made it smaller ... it finished about 60" square .... a nice throw size.  I used a Painted Garden by Crystal Manning layer cake and some Lemondrop Grunge... love the combination of the 2 ... have you seen her newest collection?  It's called Growing Beautiful and there is a nice article about it on Moda's blog today... you can check it out here

Here's a close up of the blocks...



I started this quilt back in June of 2018, so it is a relatively young UFO...and while this is an older fabric collection but I was able to find some yardage for the back... I'm into pretty backs... and this large floral is gorgeous!



I even went ahead and made the binding so this one will be in the mail tomorrow!

And with that UFO finished I remembered another project I started and lost interest in and consigned to a plastic bin... I started this one in January of 2016... it has been properly aged... the pattern is  Double by Missouri Star  and you can see a video here. The fabric collection is Curio by Basic Grey and when I talked about it on my blog back in 2016 I thought the collection was about 5 years old... so that would make it 9 years old now... it has grown up... LOL... now it isn't my usual bright palette but  I like it a lot. Go here to my blog back then and see pics with truer colors... I'm still annoyed at my phone... my older iPhone took much better pictures.




I  do love the typography prints in this collection ...




And the color is this pic is pretty true... I have plenty of that border fabric.



I originally planned on adding a couple of borders and  making this a double bed sized quilt but I've changed my mind... just going to add that one border and leave it throw sized... and another UFO will bite the dust!!

I also have a couple of finished quilts to share... first off is my Hot & Cold Running Strings...


Sorry for the wonky angle but with my design wall full I just laid in on the floor and got up on my little step stool to take a picture...

The texture from the quilting after I washed it is superb...



That turquoise fabric in Basic Grey Grunge in the Pool colorway... I only started this quilt the end of last year so I don't think its been around long enough to get UFO status...  and here's a look at the back...



This is a LARGE scale print... I think a 24" repeat that I purchased eons ago to do a Stack n' Whack... I love the print but have finally come to grips with the realization that I am never going to make all the Stack n' Whack quilts I have yardage for... so I decided it was better to use it than to just put it back on the shelf... I don't plan on leaving this planet any time soon, but it does make you ponder your mortality when you acknowledge that you will never live long enough to use all the fabric you've bought. I saw a great meme the other day that said  I've come to realize that buying fabric and using fabric are  two different hobbies... so true, so true...

And my American Jane Moda Love quilt arrived on my doorstep on Friday... now I don't have it bound or washed yet but I thought you might like to see the quilting pattern on this one...


another wonky...shall we say "arty" view  as this one was laid on the floor and I was tottering on the top step of the little step stool... I hope to get the binding on this one tomorrow... and here's a look at the quilting...


I chose the Orange Peel panto  and I like the look of it with this quilt.... and here's a peek at the back...


Lots and lots and lots of little chicks!!! This makes me smile...perfect for my crazy chicken obsession!

So with all this productivity I'll be linking up with a couple of blogs today... Small Quilts and Doll Quilts for Design Wall Monday...Quilting is More Fun than Housework for  Oh Scrap!... and Love Laugh Quilt for Making Monday...

Hope you have a good week ahead... need to get all this snowy weather pushed across the country and gone... official Spring is less than 3 weeks away... I have visions of petunias and dahlias dancing in my head... can't wait to get back into my yard and play...

happy stitching-
carol fun

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful quilting, pretty colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! You got LOTS done! That's gotta feel good. I just finished my quarterly goal (at least the top). Think the Hot and Cold is my fave and the back is PERFECT! It's been SUPER cold here in Texas..our average high should be 65 and it barely made it to freezing. YUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great projects!! And that floral backing? Gorgeous!! Do you happen to recall the name of that fabric? I'm always on the lookout for large scale backing fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first quilt is so cheery with that yellow background! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful quilts. David does a wonderful job of quilting your great tops!! I like the orange peel design. It looks perfect with that quilt! I went to a sewing expo this weekend. It was a quilters paradise with most booths geared to quilting. It was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I especially love your big star quilt with the orange peel panto!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are doing some amazing things over there....I love everything you are doing, it is hard to comment...thanks for the eye candy...and best of all, calorie free

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com