Sunday, August 11, 2019

Just "chick-ing" in on a Slow Stitching Sunday...

Hello all ... well I got a few things done and I'm "chick-ing" in today with my newest display... August is a perplexing month to decorate for... too late for patriotic... too early for Fall ...although I am soooo ready for Fall ... so I've decided that August will be National Chicken Month at my house!!  I know that "officially" it isn't till September but since someone somewhere arbitrarily picked September I can do the same thing in my little corner of the world...

Here is an overall pic ... just click on the pictures to view things more closely...



And this is the top...


a little family of chicks... the Welcome Summer from The Drawn Thread and Fiona... our local celebrity hippo... she's a ceramic figurine from Rookwood pottery.... below that...Pineberry Lane is well represented here... along with my latest finish from Nikyscreations called Summer Scissors Sampler... I tweaked it a little and left off the sign that said Summer so I could use it in any season... I think it looks nice as a pillow... the giant rooster was a purchase from a Hallmark shop over 15 years ago... I've used him on and off but he's languished in a storage bin for the past 6 years... I'm sure he's happy to see the light of day...

The next shelf...


showcases another large chicken which came from Hallmark, a little galvanized caddy with ScissorTail's Design Rise and Shine,  and my recent purchase of a ceramic truck from Hobby Lobby... I'm glad I got is when I did as I looked last week and there were only a few left... the truck reminds me of one my brother owned...his was more faded blue but I'm liking the turquoise ... the cross stitched piece is a nice complement, don'tcha think?  I believe I'll have to stitch more of these trucks ...they are fun! There is a giant wooden egg tucked behind the big chicken and the little "metal" chick... I got both of them back at Easter time ... I knew I'd find the right display for them... just had to have some patience...LOL

Below that ...



Goodies I've collected here and there...  some items were gifts and others came from all the usual stores... Hobby Lobby, Michael's, Joanns...by now I'm sure you've noticed the layer of straw that is on each shelf... it seemed like a good idea when I started, (and isn't that true of so many plans that go awry???)... I love how it looks but I think it will be even more insidious than Easter grass... I'll bet I'll find it in the house in February... I plan to use it for my Fall displays too... I think I'll just save the little bales and suck the rest of it up in the vacuum... as I remember now... and really it just now came to me... I think that's how I got rid of the fake snow I used for my snowmen display... oh my goodness... memory is fleeting... but on the up side, every old is new again...LOL

I did get the binding on the quilt I wanted to display... except it didn't get finished till like Thursday...


 I kinda wish I'd made it a bit longer... but all those blocks were left over from another project  before I started to assemble the quilt and I didn't want to make any more... the blocks are from Lori Holt's Farm Girl Vintage book and the chicken is from Cluck Cluck Sew's pattern call appropriately Chickens...



now the pattern is for a  block, but I assembled it without any of the background, turned under the seam allowances,  and then blanket stitched it to the already quilted piece... I love all those American Jane fabrics... I really want to make another quilt or two or three with them... and somehow the combo of Lori Holt pattern and American Jane fabrics is just right!

The tray has a nice collection of chicken salt and pepper shakers, most of which were gifts from friends...they are just the right scale for a tier tray...



So that's the decor for now... I'll leave it up till early September when I'll break out the bins of Fall goodies. I'm enjoying walking around Michael's and Hobby Lobby and seeing all the cool Fall stuff... so far I've only bought a few small items... which is good as I kinda running out of display space for Fall stuff... but it is my FAVORITE time of the year... love the colors and the temperatures and everything pumpkin!!!

Busy week ahead... got an electrician coming to check on a wonky light switch along with doing family dinner... I babysit Elliott... I have a guy coming to give me an estimate on some bathroom work, my son has an appointment and I'm doing dinner with the quilty ladies...and who know what else will happen! I've started 2 Fall/Halloween cross stitch pieces ... I want to put some more time in on the quilt I'm making for my son ... and I want to finish up a quilt top I started last September that is in Fall fabrics...would be nice to have it done for this Fall.  With the forecast of high temperatures and a heat index over 100 sewing in the basement may be just the thing to do...

I'll link up with Kathy's Quilts today...always fun stuff to see there... hope you all have a good week... time is flying...how did it get to be mid August already?? My sainted Grandma told me that time goes faster the older you get... which I believe means I'm getting old... I don't want to think about it ... maybe tomorrow... hey it worked for Scarlet!



happy stitching-
carol fun




8 comments:

  1. Cute displays! My mother loved chicken and roosters, which I inherited her collection, plus her pictures, and a small quilt I made

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a lot of chickens in this post! I love the one that is hanging out with the flowers on the quilt you just finished. Very nice finish indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, but I love that decor! It's so cozy! And the chickens really make it. I particularly love the big chicken up on the top shelf, there's something really charming about it... I'm happy it's seeing the light of day! You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed "chicking" out your August displays. They are adorable and I love your stitched pieces especially that blue truck. Have you seen the one by Homespun Elegance called An All American Truck? I think it would fit in with your August décor especially if you changed out the truck color. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. National Chicken Month seems a great idea, especially as you have chickens galore to display!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all your adorable chicks!!! Pretty quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the chicken idea for August. You are right, it is sort of a goofy time to decorate for. I still have a few patriotic hanging around but they will be gone soon. We just had out of town company and I just didn't have time before they came. That flower quilt is so cute! The shelves are all wonderful. About the straw, I always put it under my mangers at Christmas time and yes, you will still see it in Feb. but I think the look is worth the pain!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com