Sunday, October 13, 2019

Plugging away on this and that on Slow Sunday Stitching...

Hello all ... the furnace kicked on this morning for the first time this season... temperature got down into the 30s... and I am happy about that... weather has been lovely this last week and I've even seen a few trees starting to turn colors... it is my FAVORITE time of the year... now if we could just rid ourselves of the stupid time change in November I would be thrilled... leave Mother Nature alone... she knows what she's doing... at least I think she does...LOL

Thanks for all the kind words on my Halloween display... I am enjoying it... Barb asked what the name of the witch's hat quilt is... it is Halloween Haberdashery and you can find it here

So this last week only had one finish ... but it was a big one... and I just plugged away on a couple of other projects... first the finish...

This is my Quilty Stars quilt for my youngest son... got the binding on it and got it laundered... he picked out the fabrics ... some of which are quite "vintage" from my stash and selected the quilting panto and chose minkee for the back...



And here is a close up of the panto... it is called Windy Nights and was done by Quilting by David...




and here you can see it even better in the minkee back...

The pattern is called Quilty Stars and you can see it here... I LOVE this pattern... so scrap friendly and easy to assemble and it is a BIG block... 16" finished... and I want a quilt from this pattern for my bed... a Christmas quilt... so I started this one...


Eight stars... halfway there... now I'm fussy cutting some cute Christmas prints for the center of each one...here's a couple of my favorites so far...





And I was at Joanns the other day picking up rotary blades when I saw this fabric...


I think I can fussy cut several vignettes from this to include in my quilt... deadline for this is the beginning of November... I hope to have another productive sewing day this week... all the pieces are cut...except for that Charlie Brown print so they come together pretty quickly.

As for cross stitch I've been working on Prairie Schooler's November...




The linen is brighter than this picture... I have such troubles capturing the colors with my phone and I don't want to upgrade it ... and I swear my old phone took better pictures...  I love the alphabet "hidden" in the grass around the house... makes it a sampler ... and I love samplers... I did stitch a tiny bit on a sampler during Sampler September and it made me remember how much I do LOVE samplers... I need to get back to some of those I've started... I've been doing so many seasonal pieces the last year or so... and they are wonderful to decorate with... but I am running out of room which is probably a good thing as it might get me back on the sampler path.

Well it will be a busy week ahead... starting tonight... I'm going to downtown Cincinnati with my sons and daughter-in-law to see the sights of BLINK... you can read about it here... it is one of the largest light, art and projection mapping events in the US... it covers something like 30 city blocks on both sides of the Ohio River and includes the Roebling Suspension Bridge which was the prototype for the Brooklyn Bridge... my son and his wife went down last night with her mom and said it was wonderful ...but crowded... they had it 2 years ago and it was great then too... we won't get to see all of it because it is just too big for one night but I'm sure it will dazzle.. and the weather isn't too bad either... temperatures tonight in the 50's... last night was chillier...and Tuesday has my younger son and I headed to the theater to see Jersey Boys with friends... LOVE that musical...and Thursday my quilty lady friends get together for dinner and to celebrate a birthday... and I'm sure there are things I have to do the other days too...  I certainly want some time at home to sit on the porch... this is the perfect weather... Big Dude and I are chillin' out here right now... he snagged the easy chair and left me with the couch...


Well I'll link up with Kathy's Quilts and then I have a little time before we go to dinner... think I'll work on the PS November piece... hope you have a productive week... and hope you get some lovely Fall weather... it makes me sooooo HAPPY!!!

happy stitching-
carol fun

10 comments:

  1. Such fun Christmas blocks! Love the classic Charlie Brown fabric addition!
    Enjoy your slow stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on the time change.. leave it alone! I do love your projects; you are busy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt stars quilt is wonderful and the panto is a perfect choice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your son's quilt--and love the new Chmasy one you are making for yourself--that peanuts print is so cute!!
    I do have a question for you--it I might ask??? I got all 5 of the seasonal ABC done in the long way--and they measure about 24" long--
    but I can't seem to find press mounting boards that are any longer than 20"--so what did you use for yours and did you have to piece them to make them long enough?? a year ago when I was stitching them I think I seen Joann's had a mounting board that was 20x30--but now can't find it on their website!!!
    thanks--luv, di

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your son's quilt came out lovely! I really like how the quilting showed up on the minky. Your star blocks are so pretty - that will be another lovely quilt! So happy for you to be surrounded by such beautiful projects to work on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the information on the quilt Carol. I have lots of Halloween fabric and it looks like it would be simple enough for me. I absolutely love your son's quilt. Just beautiful. The colors are great and the quilting just perfect!! Sounds like a wonderful event in Cincinnati. I thought about visiting my sister this Fall but she is very busy traveling.So I will miss the wonderful light show. I know just the bridge you mentioned. When I lived in Louisville, I spent lots of time with my family in Ohio.Have a good week. I look forward to seeing that quilt made of all the Christmas fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If only Fall wasn't followed by winter, I think I'd like it better. I do prefer spring followed by summer and I ALWAYS look forward to when we can spring forward with longer days (HATE the short days and long dark!). LOVE Prairie Schooler and have most of their month patterns. I have a Halloween and October out at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your son's Quilty Stars is a beauty. He chose fabulous fabrics, didn't he. Love your Christmas Stars, too. The Charlie Brown fabric did make me smile. It reminds me of my youth. I hope you enjoyed BLINK.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilt for your son is lovely! I like the change of scale between the big stars and the little. And your holiday stars are sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com