Sunday, February 2, 2020

Planning more than a 24 hour day can handle....on a Slow Stitching Sunday...

Hello ... well I managed to update 3 out of 4 Sundays in June... last week I ran out of time on Sunday... had the family over for dinner... prime rib sliders with the roast left over from Thanksgiving... very tasty... and I did a bunch of errands... and before you know it the day is gone... and while lots of people were bemoaning how long January felt, I woke up yesterday surprised to find out it is already February... my sainted Grandma told me that the older you get the faster the days pass... and she was right... so much I want to get done every day and I always run out of time... I wake up every morning with a mental list of things I want to accomplish and when my head hits the pillow that evening there are still things on the list... 24 hours just isn't enough... oh well it is a better situation than being bored... I am never bored... so many projects I want to play with...

And I got a few projects finished... first, I've been knitting... I completed this pair of socks about 2 weeks ago...


scrappy Frankensocks... my favorite kind of sock... all Opal yarns... I used some of the mini skeins I've been stashing... they are so cute!!

And I've completed 2 shawls...first is this one using the pattern Easy Goes It... a freebie on Ravelry that you can see here...



I used Malabrigo Mechita in the Anniversario colorway... very soft... I could have made this one a bit larger ... will remember that for next time... I added a picot bind off which I always love...

And I also finished and blocked this shawl made with the Taina pattern... another freebie on Ravelry you can see here...



I used the entire skein of Urth Uneek Fingering on this one ...the colorway is 3002... I LOVE how this yarn stripes up... it is a little splitty but nice and soft... I like this yarn so much that I cast on the second skein I had purchased... colorway 3020... right away... I'm doing the Easy Shawl pattern... you can see it here, but it isn't a freebie... and did I mention how much I LOVE how this yarn stripes... yeah I did... and to prove my LOVE I ordered 3 more colorways...



from right to left... 3017, 3018, 3019... not sure what patterns I'll use but I've seen a lot of nice one skein shawls ... I'm sure I'll find something ... or I'll knit another one that I've knit before... oh I got the yarn here at Jimmy Beans Wool...

As for stitching... I started the Prairie Schooler March....


haven't gotten too far... I love the daffodils... with the mild winter we've been having I noticed the daffodils in my yard are already popped up an inch or so... obviously I want this one done by March... we shall see...

The stitching that has been getting the most attention is Elliott's stocking... I'm starting with the darkest colors... I've done the black parts... mittens, belt, boots... and the brown window frame and the navy sky...



it isn't easy to see what I've done since you are filling in the same colored spaces... here's pic of the back side where it is more apparent what I've done. 



Getting back to needlepoint has been interesting... I forgot how hard it is on your hands pulling fibers through canvas... and my eyesight was definitely better 30 years ago... black on black and navy on navy are not easy to see. I keep rechecking to be sure I haven't missed a spot... I think I'll get someone else to look it over before it is totally finished...

As for quilting I've got another finish here... Quilting by David got this quilt back to me super fast... like 2 weeks before I asked for it... I saw where he now has 3 quilting machines for his business ... his turn around time definitely seems quicker...



this is Tiki Tok Calder...


the panto is called Calder and it was the perfect match ...

I think it will reside here on the sunroom porch for a while...


We are suppose to have some warmer days... temperatures in the 50's and 60's... so I may be able to sit out on  the porch... and watch the birds... I love this "room" of my house...

Now, getting quilts completed is motivating me to sew more... however my focus wandered off from finishing UFO's to starting new projects... I made these 2 blocks for a SAL on Instagram #daisysewalong...




a cute pattern from Pen and Paper Patterns called Fresh As A Daisy..




but I'm envisioning zinnias... red and yellow and orange and pink and even a green one or two like that Envy zinnia I planted last year... I'm using my stash of American Jane fabrics... I love the prints and the colors...

And then I was distracted by another shiny project... the Jelly Belly Bar quilt from Fat Quarter Shop... it is a free pattern that you can see here...  I was entranced by this variation...





and that got me thinking about my bin of Jen Kingwell fabrics that have been maturing in their plastic bin... I cracked it open and made these blocks...



I like how this pattern shows off the prints ... I can't decide if these are 40's or 50's prints... some of then remind me of drapes that were in my Grandma and my Aunt's house when I was a kid... kinda funky... but fun... and again ... the colors are much brighter in real life... that yellow is definitely a chartreuse ...and what is looking black in that upper left block is actually deep turquoise... a rant... I know I said I was going to get a new phone... and they are pricey ...but I was going to splurge ...but then I handled my DIL's iphone 11... OMG... I knew it was bigger than my 8 but boy is it HEAVY... I carry my phone around in my front left pocket... it felt like I had a brick in my pocket... thinking this over ... again...

So back to sewing... I hope to get back on track with working on my UFO's... I have a few more rows of my Tula Pink's City Sampler: 100 Modern City quilt blocks to assemble  and that top will be complete... check back and maybe tomorrow I'll have a quilting post ... I've neglected Design Wall Monday for a long time... perhaps I can get back to that...

So plans for today include a  birthday party for my daughter-in-law's Grandmother... Mary Ann is celebrating her 91st birthday... should be a lot of fun... and I hope to get a little sewing in ...and some stitching....and some knitting... hmmm... seems like I'm still planning more for a day than I can ever get finished... some things never change...

I'll link up with Kathy's Quilts today... I always enjoy checking out what every one is working on ... I hope you have a productive week ahead... so far it looks like I have a day or two without any obligations ... I like that... time to play with all the crafty stuff...

happy stitching-
carol fun






10 comments:

  1. Wow your finished quilt is beautiful. What a great pattern! The dark sashing really shows off the prints beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your scrappy Frankensocks; how fun they are. Love too, your finished quilt. It is dancing with colour isn't it. It looks perfect sitting on that lovely chair. Such a great place to sit in the sun and enjoy a little hand stitching. Your quilt using the Jen Kingwall fabrics is going to fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous socks, and what great projects you have going on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope the party went well! As usual, I just love those colorful socks! I stitched March a few years ago. I usually leave it out for March and April because I love seeing the daffodils! Plus I didn't stitch April! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Frankensocks. I keep saying I am going to use all my leftovers from making socks to make more socks...they would be very crazy looking!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have been quite busy. Love your socks and what a nice finish on your quilt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your yarns are so lovely -- what terrific looking socks!! Love the progress on your Santa stocking!! Have a happy, stitching-filled week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your socks, I keep thinking I will learn to make them, love the quilt...lots of fun stuff going on over there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cool socks! Both of the shawls are beautiful. Love the daisy/zinnia blocks. Incredible quilt you received back from David! Have a super week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. المنزل هو المكان المثالي الوحيد للإنسان، حيث يجد الرّاحة والخصوصيّة والاستقلالية والأمان، ولهذا لا بدّ من المنزل أن يكون نظيفاً ليستمد الإنسان راحته من النّظافة والتّرتيب لكافة أركان المنزل. المنزل عادة يتكون من أربعة أركان مهمّة وهي المطبخ، والحمّام، وغرفة النّوم، والصّالة، فالمنازل تختلف من حيث الشكل الخارجي وتقسيم الغرف من الداخل وحجم المنزل وفنائه كالحديقة، فتنظيف المنزل الكبير أوالصّغير أو الشقة المنزلية تختلف عن تنظيف القصور والفلل، ولكن سنقدم نصائح مهمة في طريقة تنظيف البيت الذي عادة يحتاج إلى وقتٍ وجهدٍ إضافيين من سيدة المنزل أو من يقوم بالتّنظيف. اقرا المزيد على شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالرياض
    شركة مكافحة صراصير بالرياض
    شركة تنظيف منازل بالخرج
    شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com