Sunday, February 16, 2020

Sewing a garden and other shiny things on a Slow Stitching Sunday...

Hello ... and how did it get to be the middle of February already???  We've been having a pretty mild winter here in southwest Ohio...no BIG snows ... in fact hardly any snow ... and what little we got melts in a day... I like it... I like it A LOT... my daffodils and crocuses and hyacinths are already poking up ... we could have that early Spring that Punxsutawney Phil prognosticated ... I'm good with that.

My thoughts of Spring and Summer and gardening have been fueled by flower and seed catalogs the last couple of weeks... I've already put in orders with 2 different companies for some new to me dahlia tubers ... and I'm putting together seed order of some different varieties of zinnias and some cosmos and who knows what else... my snowman decor is still out but my mind has turned to Spring ideas...

But before we get to Spring let me show you a small finish ...




this is the freebie from Lizzie Kate... you can see the pdf here... I used a scrap of 32 ct linen from my Hands on Designs February stitch of A Year of Celebrations... the ribbon and Moda Grunge fabric were in my stash...  my cross stitch production has been quite puny so far this year... I did get a little more done on the Prairie Schooler March but not as much as I wanted to...



and I've been plugging away on Elliott's stocking... the front...



the back... easier for me to see what if any progress I'm making... top of the tree filled in... bottom is waiting...


my plan was to get ALL the Christmas tree done by the middle of February... then last week I revised  the plan to just get the green part of the tree and those ornaments complete... and I'm a bit short of my goal... the ornaments are all stitched and boy they were a bear... I'm using a shiny slippery rayon thread called Marlitt... it does give the ornaments a nice shiny finish and I like using different fibers for different effects but I forgot how it knots and slides and breaks... grrr... goal for next week... the candles and a trip to the needlepoint shop for more fibers... not sure what I want to do the garland in... don't think I want to do braid but I do want something a bit shiny... in gold... OMG... I think I'm leading myself back to Marlitt... ugh...

On happier note  my sewing mojo has been moving along nicely... I got more blocks done for the Fresh as a Daisy sew along...   here's the pattern...    but I'm not going to be able to keep up the pace of 7 blocks each week... and that's okay... I'll get there when I get there ... in the mean time I'm sewing up a pretty garden ...



along with the red and yellow block I previously completed I've done a pink and an orange one...


and then moved on to the exotics... green and blue...


 and a blue that's kinda turquoise and a deeper green...


 and one that is totally scrappy...



And along with these blocks I've been working on another quilt using my American Jane fabrics... the pattern is called Simple Pleasures... which you can see here... it is comprised 16 LARGE 49 patch blocks... as you can see I have 5 made...

I'm not repeating a fabric within a block... and I'm using lots and lots and lots and lots of differnt American Jane collections... the pattern was designed for a jelly roll ...which would make it quick and easy... instead I'm sewing individual little 2.5" squares together... and I LOVE it... so scrappy and fun and now and then I stop and fussy cut an image to include... it will look so pretty on my bed this summer... that's my plan... and I think it is doable... if I don't get distracted by other shiny things  like this top I made last week...


this is Waverly a pattern by Running Doe which you can see here...she is having a monthly top along on Instagram and you can see more variations of this pattern here... I picked up some aqua Grunge and some  floral low volume prints at my local quilt store Homegrown Homesewn ... and added in some that I had in my stash and within 5 hours this top was DONE...  I found some other floral yardage in my stash and the back is sewn too... didn't get enough of the Grunge for the binding so I'll have to go back next week and pick some up... however in the meantime I saw this one... click here...ooooohhhh .... Kaffe Fassett fabrics... I have LOTS of them... see the problem... shiny distractions... but so much fun!!!

I may have some sewing time today and tomorrow...not doing dinner with the family till Tuesday night... and the week ahead isn't looking too crazy... one day of babysitting... one doctor's appointment and one dinner out with friends... I may get something done... in the meantime I'll link up with Kathy's Quilts today... I keep saying I'm going to linkup with some of the design wall Monday groups but I never get there...oh well... have a great week ... hope you get some crafty time...

happy stitching-
carol fun 

11 comments:

  1. Lovely projects you are stitching! Hard to pick a favorite. Sweet valentine pillow, handsome Santas. American Jane fabrics are on my list to purchase. The colorful squares contrast nicely against the white.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have so many beautiful projects you are working on..I love those 49 sq blocks--very pretty...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty daisy blocks, how your garden is growing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many pretty projects at your house. Those daisy blocks are so cute and the 49 square blocks remind me I have some hst blocks that need to be made into a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many pretty projects but I think the Simple Pleasures the best. Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful design! You have some lovely projects to work on, it's such a comfort to know I am not the only person to get sidetracked from a project because I was smitten by another. Happy Stitching and thank you for sharing.
    Best Embroidery Digitizing

    ReplyDelete
  8. For 1000 stitches, it will cost between $1.12 to $1.68. If you do the math, your selling price per 1000 stitches should be nearly $1.8 to $2.7. So, for a product with 7000 stitches, the selling price should be $12.6 to $18.9. It is the cost per product embroidery digitizing services.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems like a simple task, right? All you need is a pair of scissors, some fabric, and a needle. But it's not always as easy as it sounds. What if you want to make your own garden? It's a tricky process that requires patience and precision. If you're in need of a little help, take a look at our guide on how to sew a garden. custom clothing line vendors

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! And how did it get to be the middle of February already??? We've been having a pretty mild winter here in southwest Ohio...no BIG snows ... in fact hardly any snow ... and what little we got melts in a day... I like it... I like it A LOT... my daffodils and crocuses and hyacinths are already poking up ... we could have that early Spring that Punxsutawney Phil prognosticated... Speaking of progress, if you're looking to grow your online presence and business, consider consulting with a professional digital marketing company . They can assist in expanding your reach and connecting you with a broader audience, ensuring your message is heard loud and clear.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com