Sunday, March 8, 2020

Unexpected events on a Slow Stitching Sunday....

Well that week didn't turn out how I thought it would... it looked like a great week... the only thing I had to do was babysit Elliott on Tuesday...no appointments...no lunch engagements... no where to go... I was going to get sooooo much done... sewing, stitching, knitting, decorating... and then Monday came along... I started feeling icky around 5am... the fact that I know what time it was is a harbinger of a bad event as I'm NEVER up that early... I fought off the erpy- ness (I know it is a made up word) for several hours but eventually my stomach got the upper hand... ugh ugh ugh... spent the day in bed or in the bathroom... good thing it is a small house and a very short distance from one room to another... you know why... I think I got some bad lettuce as I had a salad for lunch and dinner on Sunday and I was the only one who got sick... other people who I dined with ate the carbs and they were fine... so much for eating healthy ... I should have had the burger...and the fries!! 

For the rest of the week I've been off... babied my stomach... lettuce has not passed my lips...which is so strange... I usually have a salad for at least one meal a day... I've been tired too... and Dan the handyman was here M/T/Th/F... he was busy busy busy ... but the job still isn't complete... as of Friday he's got all the doors hung, the trim and doors patched, sanded and primed and he's painted (first coat) 3 doors... remember there are 13 doors up (the special order  14th door still hasn't come in) and on Friday he told me the doors will need 2 coats of paint...which I can see ... and it might as well be done now or it won't get done... he wasn't available for work this weekend as he had other work obligations with his landlord, so it has been a quiet here... I'm ambivalent... I want the job done but I'm enjoying having the house back to myself... 

The week had a full gamut of weather from snow flurries to sunny and 50... today is suppose to hit 60 and the temperature is forecast to stay in that range all next week... but with rain... I could do without so much rain... I finally got the energy together to banish the snowmen to their plastic bins and broke out the Spring/Easter decor... I was talking to a friend and said I was happy that I've come up with a schedule for seasonal decorating that makes me happy...

Jan/Feb    Snowmen
Mar/Apr  Easter/Spring .... bunnies and chicks
May/Jun  Spring/Summer... birds
July          Patriotic
August     Chickens
Sept          Fall ... pumpkins
Oct           Halloween... more pumpkins and jack-o-lanterns
Nov          Thanksgiving... turkeys
Dec          Christmas

It is a bit of work... luckily my younger son totes the plastic bins up and down the stairs for me... he likes when I decorate so he's a good sport about the heavy lifting... I do look back at the pictures I take each season and see how I did things in the past... some things I put back in the same places as they won't fit elsewhere but I do try to change things up ... this time around I've got a new display area in my kitchen which was fun to to play with... and there is where I'll start...


this is the shelf box that I got at Hobby Lobby... I've been enamored with IG displays of Rae Dunn and did a little shopping ... picked up my first pieces of Rae Dunn... a collection is starting... my goal is just to do seasonal pieces ... so I got the PEEP eggs cups and the carrot car  Hop to It... a friend contributed the Cute Chick mug and the HOP egg cups in the bottom chicken wire area... that chick jar had to come home with me too... shopping at Marshalls/TGMaxx/Homegoods for these items... not places I normally go ... 



I put up my bright tulip quilt in the living room... the tulips are my take on the Lori Holt pattern  Tulip Patch in her Quilty Fun book ... this one is very scrappy and bright... 



the tier tray is a great spot for small cross stitch pieces... at the top is one I just finished ... it is part of the Hip Hop pdf chart from Primitive Acorns which you can find here... 



the other bunnies are Prairie Schooler  No. 178...other little knickknacks I've collected including cute bunny salt and pepper shakers from Cracker Barrel... I noticed this year the price went up to $1.29 from $.99... but the increase didn't stop me from picking up some new ones... 



I put my pansy plates in the same place as always because I also put my pansy quilt in the same place on back of the couch... 




they are all just 4 feet apart... and I pulled together my 2 pieces of vintage looking chick stuff with some cute chicks... to top off my tier table... 



the little yellow cabinet is again featuring my mercury glass duck and some cute cross stitch pieces... the white egg piece was a gift ...the bunny is  from With Thy Needle & Thread's Holiday Hoopla series and the Lizzie Kate Spring String is a long pin pillow...


I'm still working on the big shelf display so I'll save it for next week ... I did get the Prairie Schooler Daffodils/March piece FFO'd...



I painted the "frame" multiple times... it started out bright yellow...ow... too bright... repainted it a softer yellow...not enough contrast with the stitching... broke out some green paint... lightened it up and slapped it on... I like the messy brush strokes on this ... kinda like the wind the piece talks about...


I worked a little on Elliott's stocking but never made it to the needlepoint store... maybe this week...  I need to make a decision on background color soon... 


And in case you think I forgot... I didn't... my semi-annual rant against Daylight Saving Time... and this is the one I hate the most... who wants to lose an hour of sleep???  There have been clinical studies that this change is hazardous to many people's health... accident rate increase in the first week of the time change, as do the occurance of heart attacks... the human body wasn't designed for this ... everyone could wait a couple of weeks and it will get lighter earlier ... waiting won't kill you but DST just might... I know that some states have voted to not do DST anymore but they are waiting on Congress to approve the measure... let's just do it for the entire US... I think it would make the majority of people happy... and on top of the time change this week you have a full moon and a Friday the 13th... my deepest sympathy to teachers and health care workers... along with carnivorously you've got a rough week ahead... and why don't people wash their hands more?? I've been admonished to do this since childhood... soap and hand sanitizer have been flying out of the stores... really?? what have people been doing before this?... don't bother to answer ... I know... I'm pretty sure that the bad lettuce I got last week wasn't washed properly or was prepared by someone who hadn't washed their hands... okay... I'll stop ranting now...

 I'll link up with Kathy's Quilts today... and I hope to have some time to sit in the sun on my porch... I'm not cooking dinner... think we'll do take out from somewhere... no salad for me... maybe pasta...  the upcoming week looks quiet but then so did last week... I'm just hoping that all door project gets wrapped up... but then there are other projects I want Dan to tackle... but none of them seem as complicated... at least I hope they aren't...

Have a great week everyone... 
happy stitching-
carol fun 






10 comments:

  1. Oh no! So sorry to hear you got a stomach bug. I hope you are all recovered. I agree on the time change - it should be abolished and I'm on one of the states that has been waiting for over a year for Congress to ok it. I'm not holding my breath. I suppose my snowmen need to be packed away as well and the spring and easter things carted out. Love your decorations and pretty quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby's 81st b-day is Fri 13th plus DST--a lot to take in...I totally agree with your rant and we two here have ranted to each other as we changed our clocks...unfortunately our body clocks are not cooperating...etc etc....
    I love your little bunnies and that tulip quilt is so gorgeous and Spring-ey...
    sorry to hear you were ill--I've thrown my back out (and am blaming DST for sure--!) so not much going on except icing and resting....hugs Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMgosh that tulip quilt is awesome. Love it! Your decorations and house look so pretty. I love all your handiwork. Hope you get to feeling better. ((hugs)).

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the tulip quilt! AND....those pansy plates are so pretty. How horrible you have been feeling off this past week. I hope this coming week is a better one and you achieve all that you want to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry that you were ill. I love your Spring decor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol, I love your rants! Probably because I agree with them. Yes, the news pointed out how dangerous this time change is for many people!!! Washington is one state that already voted against it but we still have it. Congress is too busy fighting to do what the people want. So far my county has no caronavirus but Church was only about half it's usual crowd this am. I hope you are feeling much better this week. You did a lot of wonderful decorating for a lady who was sick!! Those tulip and pansy quilts are to die for. I love the way the frame look for the PS finish. How are you feeling about the Market releases? I have seen a few very tempting things! have a great week and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you get to feeling better. You did an awesome job decorating, how festive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the tummy bug may be going around, I was out of commission on Saturday. Hope you are feeling better. My work safety briefing this morning was about driving carefully this week. The time change is basically jet lag!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great displays! Love your tulip quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always enjoy seeing your seasonal displays, you do them so well. Lovely quilts, both the tulips and pansies. Hope you have recovered now, it's no fun being sick.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com