Sunday, March 22, 2020

Unexpected events? What was I thinking???

So two weeks ago I titled my post Unexpected Events... prophetic?  I had no idea what was ahead... like most of you life has been turned upside down and shaken strongly in the last week... here in Ohio the schools are closed (probably until the beginning of May as it stands right now), restaurants and bars are closed except for carryout or delivery, department stores and other retail places are closed, and most recently hair salons and barber shops... it gonna get ugly in more ways than one... no one needs to see my roots...literally...

And I'm not gonna lie... I'm still trying to wrap my head around all of this... I'm seeing plenty of pictures on social media about how much everyone is getting done... that hasn't been the story here... I'm having trouble focusing... more than my usually BB in a box car behavior... and I've spent waaay too much time mindlessly scrolling  through Instagram.. NOTE to others... when you follow over 3800 people on IG you can scroll for hours and never see a repeat post... really, you can...  you probably shouldn't do this... if I can't be a good example, perhaps I can be a warning... don't do as I do... unless you want to... and then do it... right now it makes me feel better and gets my mind off of things and I figure I shouldn't beat myself up over it.

I have found that staying in my pajamas all day seems like a great idea... it isn't... I'm definitely better when I get up, make the bed and get dressed... I'll admit I haven't put on any makeup for a week but I have on clothes that I can go out in public with... and the only people who've seen my face were at a drive up window and I don't think they are judging.

I think it is okay to admit it is a scary time...I have plenty of food and other essential supplies... I'm not a hoarder or a prepper but I do like have a nice stash of paper and cleaning products and frozen meat and foods ... my inventory of TP has been ridiculed in the past... who's laughing now??? l use to tease that TP would be currency in an apocalypse... pretty smart ain't I?  And it goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) I have lots of essential crafty stuff... I have plenty of yarn, fabric and thread...absolutely no chance I'll run out of things to do...when I can focus and do them.

Also these changes are only happened a week ago (although it feel like a month)... it takes time to adjust to change... and the older I get the longer it takes... like getting up off the floor... I can do it but you can't rush me...

This morning when I woke up this popped into my head...

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.

Right now I'm praying for wisdom...snd in the spirit of being more cheerful, I'll show you some of the Spring decorating that I completed before everything changed...

Here's the shelf unit... there is stuff from last Spring and new stuff... and I tried to arrange things differently...



Starting at the top I've got Ah tis' Spring from Notforgotten Farms... love that bunny... and a Spring Lizzie Kate piece on the front of a little caddy filled with tulips... I do LOVE tulips... the bunny jars are both new purchases this year... from Marshalls/TJ Maxx/Homegoods ....



Next shelf  has a little lady with a BIG tulip being cozy with one of my carrot cars... she's from Pineberry Lane.... and Prarire Schooler March - Daffodils is flanked by cut bunnies that look like foil wrapped chocolate... but they aren't... they are some sort of pottery...



Third shelf has Sampler Hill  by With Thy Needle & Thread... I love this sampler... did you know there are 99 tulips in the border?  Some of the ceramic bunnies here are old and some are new... the cabbage I picked up this year.


It is a very nice display and I'm enjoying the cheerful colors... most needed at this time.

Outside on the porch I decorated the little shelf unit...



Starting at the top ... another carrot car... you can tell I'm infatuated with them?... and a paper mache glittery bunny head...  Below that some candles and candle holders that I white washed... they came from Hobby Lobby ... and I love the bunny in the decorated egg... I picked him up at the super markets last year.... On the bottom is a collection of bunny heads... the lastest purchase is the one with the yellow glasses...


isn't he adorable??

And one more display... this is in my TV cabinet...



the little chick jar with the egg was something I saw on IG but couldn't find anywhere locally... my friend Stephanie found it on a site called Mecari... had to have it... think I'll use it again when I bring out all my chickens in the summer.

As for accomplishing anything, there isn't much to show... I did get all of the red part of Santa's coat stitched on Elliott's stocking... it is some kind of velvet fiber and it was very nice to stitch with and looks and feels lovely... here's  a pic of the back as it shows more clearly what is done...


and here's where I was a month ago...

It makes me feel better to see some progress on this....

And since I couldn't settle on what to stitch... should I start something new... or pick up something old... I knew I needed something that didn't require a lot of decision making so I turned to something I always love stitching ... a Blackbird Design sampler...





this one is O Joyous Day... I got it several months ago from a shop in Wisconsin as I remember... it was released at Market so it is easy to find now... not gonna apologize for the wrinkles...I'm very happy with the turquoise linen ... but I should have cut the fabric larger...not a lot of extra fabric ... but enough to have it framed close to the design which I like.   I have one more flower to do in this section... checked my count and oh is is off... not ripping it out... luckily the piece has 3 sections and I should be able to get back on track...


I think I'll wait to pick a date for a Joyous Day... perhaps the date when it is okay for us over 60's to return to the outside world....

So I'm going to work hard to be positive next week... things are starting well... my son and daughter-in-law put a bid in on a bigger house on Friday and their offer was accepted... the real estate market is red hot here ... the house was listed less than 24 hours and there were multiple bids... the inspection is Monday and I'll get to see the inside then... the online listing only had pictures of the exterior and they didn't take any pictures while they were looking at the house... they had a showing at 4pm and by 5pm had made the offer...their real estate agent put it together before they left the house... less than 3 hours later their bid was accepted... quite a whirlwind... now instead of being walking distance from my house...about 3 minutes... it will be about  7 minute car trip...not too bad... I drove past the house yesterday and it is a lovely neighborhood... sidewalks on both sides of the street and mature trees... the neighborhood is about 50 years old... lots of kids out playing so it should be a perfect spot for Elliott and hopefully a sibling in the future... we shall see.. definitely something positive to focus on.

I'll link up with Kathy's Quilts today... I should spend some time seeing what others are up to... and I'm hoping for some sunny weather... although the forecast isn't promising... the day I got to work out in my yard last week did wonders for my state of mind... lets hope that next week brings some good news for all of us... take good care of yourselves... hugs!!  from a safe social distance....

happy stitching-
carol fun

12 comments:

  1. I so enjoy your seasonal decorating posts ,,,;)))
    (actually all your posts;}}})
    We are finding that lives turned inside out and upside down are difficult to cope with at our "advanced ages"
    I will turn 77 in May and hubster turned 81 this month...we are staying put here and hoping to luck out tomorrow at "senior shopping hrs" at our local grocery store...just a few necessities --umm is that still a meaningful word??
    I am so amazed that some people are not taking this seriously after the news from Italy yesterday...and our factories are not put into action making those needed garments and ventilators...do they want us to die? Is this a culling process????...Sounds crazy but those thoughts do fly across your mind...

    Hope you stay healthy hugs from afar Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Virtual hugs coming your way Carol...we will get through this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing your seasonal decor ... I did a little of that when MIL was still living. I thought it might help her keep track of time. I covet your multi-level shelf units and keep my eye out for one when I'm shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your toilet paper stash did make me smile. In these troubled times your lovely home would be such a comfort. Your Santa is looking lovely. Keep well and take care, lovely lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw a saying "What a week this year has been" and that is exactly what you are describing. I finally decided that I have to style my hair each day or I feel way to drab and depressed. I am doing a lot of baking. I like your stocking and your new sampler. Stay safe and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also a tp stock up person who has also been made fun of. But really, what do you do if you don't have toilet paper? Like your spring displays. Be careful and stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely display shelf as always, it's nice to see how well you display everything and how pretty it all looks! These are uncertain times for all of us and I hope you can find some quiet time and relax any way you can. Your toilet paper stash made me smile! Sometimes you just never know what will come in handy haha. Stay safe out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your display shelf is just wonderful. As for not getting dressed, I am getting dressed later and later every day. No make up and I dress like a slob because I want to be comfortable, there is nothing wrong with that is there? I always like to have extra on hand. We always buy that big box at Sam's, last forever except now that I have a family living with me, it doesn't. Oh well...least ways I have it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to see you are doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carol, I enjoyed seeing your spring décor! Love that bunny head with the yellow glasses; too cute! You are off to a lovely start on the Blackbird piece. Hope you are having a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of great decor to enjoy--and of course stitchy pretty things. Good luck to your son and family in their new home. The real estate market is crazy here too, especially price wise. Stay safe at home where there are lots of crafty goodies to play with!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haven't seen any recent post by you. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com