Sunday, January 31, 2021

Some productivity on a Slow Sunday Stitching...

Hello ... so last week turned out to be lots busier than I had anticipated... but it was also waaaay more productive than I would ever have believed... you know those projects that have been sitting around for months and months and months... and it isn't a small project but not too big... and you brood about it and think about starting but you just can't get going... well  I actually tackled and completed one of those projects and I've almost broke my arm patting myself on the back... 

So what was the project... organizing and completing an entire collection of DMC floss... 500 different colors of floss... OMG...I can hardly believe it... I had a pretty good stash already but I did need some colors and that entailed trips to Joanns (picked over) Micheals (nice inventory but someone put every single skein in the numbered slot backwards... you had to pull the skein entirely out to be certain it was the right number) and finally Hobby Lobby for the win... a dear friend pointed out to me Hobby Lobby usually has the best inventory because they never put floss on sale... I hadn't thought of that and if I had gone there first I probably wouldn't have had to go to the other places... oh well... 

Here's what I did... I put each skein in a snack size Ziploc bag along with an index card... I wrote the number of the skein on the card and on the flap of the Ziploc bag...

Then I placed each bagged skein into a Snapware stacking storage container...


I had a couple of these Snapware containers already..I had purchased them at Joanns a while ago and got them on sale... but I still needed one more so I picked it up on Amazon...you can see it here... I'm pretty sure this  more than I paid at Joanns but when I was there looking for floss their plastic storage aisle was bare... and somewhere there is an extra lid in my house... but I don't need it for this arrangement... it will show up someday ... Ta Dah!!!

All 500 skeins organized and labeled and I put a strip of pretty scrapbook paper in the front of each box to make it look tidy... I really like that idea and I'm going to do it to some other storage drawers in that same room...

And here is the overdyed box...


And those Snapware boxes are a perfect fit for the IKEA Billy bookcase I have  in this room... now all the months I've been putting this job off, I thought it would take me 3 or 4 hours to do this... WRONG... it took about 10 hours over a 3 day time span... but it was totally worth it!!!  It made me feel so good to have it done and it has given me some motivation to tackle some other projects... next week I hope to do a thorough cleaning and straightening up of this craft room... this is a small bedroom in which I have a nice size desk, a sewing table with one of my two Juki sewing machines set up on, a 40 drawer bank of scrapbook paper bins, and an 8 cube IKEA Kallax storage unit that holds my cross stitch charts and linens... quite a bit of stuff in 110 sq. ft.....everything in this room is dusty... I use to have the Dude's litter box in here and even though it was  covered box and I used low dust litter things got dusty... I want to wipe everything down and do a bit of straightening up and re-organizing and sprucing up ... I got a new rug for the room and I LOVE it... and I'm hoping that cleaning this room will motivate me to do other rooms of the house... but one room at a time. 

And along with tackling that project I did a bit of cross stitching ... I've been keeping track and I've stitched every day in January... I didn't make any concerted effort to do it... it just happened... and  I hope to keep it up... I stitched 2 more small Prairie Schooler snowmen on 32 ct opalescent linen I dyed.. I love how sparkly the fabric looks... kinda like snow...


That sparkly silver trim is something I picked up I think at Joanns at Christmas...  I twisted it as I tacked it down across the base of the one snowman and on the outer edge of the other piece...



And I framed the other PS Snowman I did earlier this month and here is how I've displayed these guys...

And here's a close up of the Prairie Schooler  snowman from  No. 151...


I found this little frame in my stash... had a marked down sticker of $1.99 and it was the perfect shade of dark blue... the snowflakes are plastic buttons... I cut the shanks off the back and hot melt glued them on. 

Another little display in my TV cabinet...


I stitched that Winter piece from Prairie Schooler a looong time ago and the long pillow is Lizzie Kate Snowy String... those are always a fun stitch... and it was when I got to decorating this spot that I wished I had a few more bottle brush trees... even though it seems like I have a forest of them... but a few more won't hurt... I'll be on the hunt next Christmas.

And I finally got some decent pictures of my kitchen shelf display...

Lots of snowman made from food items, and my Hallmark kitchen snowman who has measuring cups for a hat and wooden spoons for arms... here's a couple of close ups...



And new curtains for my kitchen windows is another project I've been putting off... I have the fabric and I can use the old curtains that I made 7 years ago as a pattern for the new set but the spirit hasn't moved me yet... I want to line the new ones as these have gotten very sun faded... I love how sunny my little house is!

So plans for today include brunch with my older son and family ... maybe a little sewing room straightening up.... it is quite messy at the moment... need to box up a couple of projects that I've lots interest in... maybe start cleaning the craft room... or maybe just sit in my comfy chair and cross stitch... I like the last option best... LOL

Next week does have a couple of plans penciled in... dinner with some friends and a movie with my younger son... and my regular babysitting on Tuesday... and I need to get my car in for an oil change... I want to schedule it on a decent day so they will wash it too... I hope you have something good happening in your  upcoming week... I'm feeling a bit more upbeat... I think accomplishing the DMC job helped... and I've heard a little good news here and there about the covid  and the vaccine situation... fingers crossed... I want to plan a vacation before 2021 is over ...

So I'll link up with Kathy's Quilts today...and spend some time seeing what everyone else is up to... 

happy stitching-

carol fun 


9 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting your floss organized. I bobbinate mine, and I got some storage for them for Christmas, so I worked on that job earlier in January. It's nice to have it out of the way! I love all your snowmen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy smokes, woman!!! Look at you!!! You've definitely inspired me to get busy organizing my floss - it's one hot mess! Ugh! And, of course, the list is long of other things I need to accomplish. Oh, I did accomplish one thing just like you one you did - I stitched every day in January! WooHoo I took two pieces to be framed so I can start hanging and enjoying these things I keep stitching. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your snowman pieces. I am partial to both Lizzie Kate and Prairie Schooler. I’ve never seen the Lizzie Kate Snowy Strings. Very cute! There must have been something in the air.....I sorted out all my DMC and fancy floss last week too. Stay safe and stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops. PS. You decorations look great. And I was always wondering how people that used floss away bags stored there floss! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great way to organize your floss. We won't talk about mine and such cute snowmen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have done a super job organizing the floss. Mine are in gallon plastic bags with the number on the bag. Then they are thrown into a big bag. I think I need your motivation. I love all the snowmen!I really don't have much in the way of winter decorating. Fall, thanksgiving, Halloween and Christmas pooped me out. I did put up a few Valentine things today. Hope your week goes well !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great organization of your floss. You have some lovely snowmen, and decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im amazed, 500 diffrentcolours of floss! All nicely packed p and put away, such a great job. I always enjoy seeing your cute little displays throughout your home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooo! i love your little displays- especially the snowmen on the IKEA (?) cake stand. i have one of those- i'll have to keep that in mind. i have a few snowmen still lingering about on the bookshelves after putting away the Christmas- i'll maybe bring them down to the kitchen table.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com