Sunday, April 25, 2021

How new kitchen curtains made me feel OLD... on a Slow Sunday...

 Hello - well did you have the wild weather ride we did last week?  Monday was nice, Tuesday was really nice... I wore capris and sandals outside with Elliott... but then came Wednesday... OMG... we had a bit over 2 inches of SNOW... that was not nice Mother Nature!!!  The rest of the week was okay... cloudy.. a little rain, a little sun... trend is for some nice 70's this upcoming week. I should take last week as a warning from Mother Nature not to go and buy annuals... but it is now the last week in April... I've had stuff in the ground by now for the last 6 years and until last year I've been fine... I do remember un-planting stuff and covering my window boxes about 3 nights in a row back in May... oh I checked back... I had LOTS of things planted by May 3... and there several frosty nights around May 10...that was Mother's Day... around here the last frost chance is usually before Mother's Day... and the holiday is May 9 this year... so I'm probably pushing it if I plant stuff this week... however I believe a trip to a garden center or two or three or more would be good for the soul... 

It was a busy week for social stuff... dinner out 3 different nights ... and that was lots of fun... I did a little cross stitch but I'm going to hold off showing it till it is FFO'd... I think I only worked on the stocking one night...  that tree isn't going to be done by the end of the month... oh well... I needed a break... I did knit on a sock... and I got 2 quilts in the mail to the long arm quilter... I also got the bindings made so when they come back I'll be ready to finish them.

I put together the back for the Big Patch quilt... and I made 340 inches of scrappy binding ... need to get it to the post office tomorrow. And I started a new top... picked up a Songbook layer cake at my favorite quilt shop Homegrown Homesewn on Tuesday... stumbled across a great pattern, Skylight by Missouri Start Quilt Company... you can see Jenny's video here.  Got all the blocks cut out and a half dozen sewn together before my knee  screamed "enough standing"... sit down you fool... 

Which leads me to the even that really had me feeling OLD OLD OLD... so last week I finally got around to making new curtains for my kitchen... its been on my "list of things to do" for months... I had the fabric... a cute print from American Jane... I knew I could use the old sun-faded curtains as a pattern for a new set... all I needed was motivation and surprise!!... it stumbled into my house ... lucky me!!  Soooo the old curtains came down and I went downstairs into my sewing room... made 2 valances ...one for the 52" window and one for the 16" window... went back upstairs to hang them and see how I liked them... well to reach the tops of the windows I need a chair and then I have to climb on the counters... and it occurred to be that this was NOT a good idea... my son offered to put the new ones up and I took him up on it... while he was perched on my counters we both realized how cruddy and dusty all the decorations on the tops of the  cabinets were... YUCK... I know it has been a couple of years since I got up there and cleaned them... and the realization that I shouldn't be the one climbing on counters hit me ... the sensible thing is to let someone else do the climbing... someone younger... and I resigned myself to the situation, but it made me feel OLD... 

Good thing the curtains look great and that cheered me up (along with my son handing me down all the knickknacks, I cleaned them off and he put them back on top of the cabinets)... 


And here's close up of the fabric...Bubble Pop by American Jane...


I engaged in some online retail therapy last week and purchased a bunch of new Fiestaware pieces... you can see the new sugar bowls on the stack of bread trays... and yes there is no reason one needs this many sugar bowls but they are too stinking cute... I got them here... I think these have been discontinued... I love the shape and the cute lids...




I think I'm going to decorate my kitchen with my Fiestaware more often... I LOVE the colors!!!

As for other decorating I got my living room shelf unit completed... 


Lots of bird stuff ... and after using my some of my Fiestaware collection in the kitchen it occurred to me to use some of my McCoy pottery in my other displays... at the top behind my Lizzie Kate Spring String is the only piece of pink McCoy I have ... love the tulips!!


I kept some of crossstitch from Easter out for Spring... that WTN&T Sampler Hill piece is one of my favorite samplers... and  a friend found that BIG robin cookie jar for me last year... the price tag is still on it... $8 and we found one online for $80 the other night... such a bargain!!  Below is a little lady from Pineberry Lane, the Blackbird Designs and my newest cross stitch finish, Because it's Spring by From the Heart Needleart...  here's a close-up...


I had this picket fence in my stash... don't know where I got it... maybe Micheals... it was unfinished wood and I painted it white... 

These two big yellow birds are vintage McCoy...  it was nice to bring them out and display them with that yellow tulip piece from Blackbird Designs book Thank You Sarah Tobias...


Next shelf down has more Blackbird pieces...


Garden Friends from the BBD book Sewing Club...


And these two birds out of the BBD book For my Friend called Tweet Hearts...  they were the perfect size for this little two tier stand...


I have a bit more Spring decor to show next week... and now I'm moving on to doing some patriotic stitching for July... I've seen several  new cute pieces  and I have some charts in my stash that I'd love to add to my displays this year... along with at least one new flag quilt...maybe two... we shall see. 

I've been wanting to work on quilts ... my sewing mojo has returned ... the quilts I sent off last week were the first I've completed this year... I do tend to work in spurts... and since I cut out about 42 blocks...easy ones yesterday... I may get them together today or tomorrow... hey, I might even have another Design Wall Monday post... LOL

Nothing big on my calendar for next week... so far... who knows what will come up... I would like to spend some time on  the sunroom porch stitching... and like I said before a trip to the garden centers would be good ... I think I can make that happen. 

Hope your week is just the way you want it... I'll  link  with  Kathy's Quilts  and spend some time seeing what others are up too... a good way to spend my Sunday...

happy stitching-

carol fun 



9 comments:

  1. Love Fiestaware and McCoy pottery—the pieces look terrific among your pretty stitcheries for Spring. Glad some time with fabric has given you pleasure too. Hope no more snow! Here in dry dry California, we wish it would rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new curtains. They're sew bright and cheery. I do understand the climbing bit. I've never been good at climbing but now at 65 it's a big no no. Take care. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful inspiration came visiting you because those new curtains of yours look fabulous. Isn't the Bubble Pop fabric with those bright and happy flowers gorgeous? Those colours of the Fiestaware are a fabulous fit with those curtains. One couldn't help but smile when they walk into your kitchen....into your home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great curtains, and love your chicken plates! Lovely decorations too! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your decorations especially the cross stitch pieces. So beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know just what you mean. I have a vine over my garage and I have forbidden my DH to climb the ladder to trim it if I am not home!! At least I could call the EMS! The curtains are sure cute. I love the red fabric. That plus the Fiesta ware makes the kitchen look very cheerful!! I sure hope you are done with snow. I knew it had snowed near Cincinnati from my sister. I do love all the birds. They make the perfect display for late Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel your pain. I feel old every time I change the curtains and wash bay window that is over the counter in my kitchen. I have to kneel painfully on the counter to wash the window and stand/kneel to hang the curtains. Your curtains are great! I love that fabric. I am partial to the indigo feistaware. Your bird decor is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh be still my heart- those curtains are fabulous, Carol . I always love seeing your vignettes and stitching. You are a constant inspiration to me. Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Curtains look lovely. Decorative shelf unit is wonderful. Yes you are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com