Sunday, October 11, 2026

Tired but trying to rest up on a Slow Sunday...

Hello- well it  started out as a pretty quiet week ...  and I thought I would be able to rest up but... right now I'm tired. 

Outside of my normal stuff (workout with Anna/ hangout with Elliott) I only had one doctor's appointment and one house stuff appointment... and those went well .  The yearly dermatologist visit was quick... and like my appointment with the eye doctor the conversation was more about my knee than what I came there for. The eye doctor wanted info as her husband needs a knee replacement and the dermatologist hadn't seen a scar like mine before and wanted to know all about it. I'm quite the novelty...LOL ... 

And then on Saturday things went sideways... with no prior warning the battery in my car died... arrghh... and since I was parked in a driveway, a safe place (but not my driveway)  AAA couldn't get to me for 2 1/2 hours.... arrghh... so I waited and waited and waited and waited... and when the repair guy arrived he confirmed the battery is 4 years old and  I needed a new one... but he didn't have one that would fit my car so the best he could do was jump start me and tell me to go to a AAA service center about 5 miles away... which I did. By this time it was almost 4:00 pm...they close at 5:00 pm and aren't open on Sunday... but they came through for me, got me a new battery and got me out before they closed... I left them a sterling review... I was afraid I was going to be out of luck until Monday and then I got to thinking, Monday is a national holiday... eeek... don't know what places would be open or closed...so glad for a happy ending. 

As for the house stuff, I'm planning a purchase that requires some work in the garage... I'll tell you more when I have it finalized... oh and I got a call on Thursday asking if it would be okay for the landscapers to come on Friday...yes yes yes....  I'll show you some before and after pictures next week...they were still mulching when I had to leave this Saturday before the battery issue  and it was dark  and rainy when I got back.

Now a 3 man crew tore out everything in just a couple of hours... it is amazing how much faster they can work than one old lady with bad knees and her son. The crew was so nice. They went above and beyond. Cleaned out the window boxes, pruned and shaped up the existing boxwoods, trimmed the low branches on my sidewalk trees  and even fixed the break in my drip irrigation... and the landscape looks soooooooo gooooood!!! I did have some second thoughts about this dramatic change, but I know when Spring rolls around I will be happy not to have so much to deal with.  There is still plenty of open space I can add stuff too, but I'm going to work real hard to keep the garden beds to a minimum amount of work. I'll still be able to play with my dahlias ... and to that end I'm already scouting out more exotic varieties to add ... it is so hard to resist flowers!!

As for crafty stuff, very little got done... I worked on a sock...and then remembered there is a pair I want to give as a birthday gift the end of the month and I hadn't started the 2nd sock...working on that now...

However I did get the Halloween decor out... and it took ALL day... I'm not moving as fast as I used to...big sigh...

I started with the wall quilt... with the only spider I want in my house....

this is my version of the pattern from Pen and Paper Patterns.  All the fabrics are Basic Grey Grunge... I love the lime green polka dot...

the googly eyes are glued on  and I love how they look down...


The tier tray...


up top is a Lizzie Kate piece... 

and below 2 pumpkin headed guys... the one on the left is from Prairie Schooler Trick or Treat and the one on the right is Sprout from Notforgotten Farms... 


and I love that pumpkin stack... a friend found it for me years ago at Homegoods...you don't often see yellow jack-o-lanterns and certainly not a stack of them... they light up too!

Over on the TV cabinet I have my October Hands On Designs calendar piece... 


and on this little tier tray  I have another snippet from Prairie Schooler Trick or Treat up top... and below Halloween is  from The Drawn Thread chart A Little Bit of Halloween...


And down in the center of the TV cabinet I have my little shrine to Frank....


I had never seen the Debbie Mumm Frankenstein cookie jar until I stumbled across it one day on eBay... and I had to have him... the stitched Frank is a snippet from Bent Creek ...

Over on the tier table by my front picture window I went with a witchy theme...


Up top I have a trio of witches from the Teresa Kogut chart Happy Halloween....


 And below I have another trio from Pineberry Lane ...     

     



Every year I drag my feet to get out the Halloween stuff... since this is only the 11th of the month I think I'm doing good. I so enjoy the Fall stuff I hate to put it away... and I really look forward to my Thanksgiving stuff... Thanksgiving gets short shrift ... people just jump ahead to Christmas...I wish there was more days between Thanksgiving and Christmas...I know tomorrow October 12 is Canadian Thanksgiving, which gives more time till Christmas, but then it conflicts with the Halloween stuff...and thinking about this now, I'm pretty sure I should just be happy with the way things are here in the US... thinking gets me into trouble sometimes...LOL

Now that I'm home from the battery issue, I'm pooped... it was stressful and I've gotten up early the last 4 days this to deal with the house and the landscape stuff...nevertheless,  in between the battery issue Chris was able to come and help and we got a certain family member their weekly groceries and I changed their Dexcom... so Sunday is a free day for me....yeah!!  

Prayers for all dealing with hurricane Isaias... we are getting the remnants of it today (Sunday)... that should water in all my new plants quite nicely... and now that my drip irrigation is fixed I can run it later in the week if needed. 

The week ahead looks crazy busy... I have some place I have to be every day... Monday/Anna, Tuesday/ take family member to dentist consultation and later Elliott, Wednesday/annual check up for me  and dinner out with friends, Thursday/haircut, Friday/follow up with knee surgeon and then next Sunday a birthday party to attend... not sure what crafty stuff I'll get to... I should FFO some seasonal pieces but the mood has to move me... and it hasn't yet... 

I haven't touched my sewing machine in weeks... and while I should think about Christmas stuff I may move onto  stuff I want done by January... as I type this I'm just tired... perhaps tomorrow after hopefully a good night's sleep I'll feel more energetic. I know Annie sings the sun will come out tomorrow... but she wasn't talking about this particular tomorrow... its gonna be drab and rainy... gotta wait till Monday for that...LOL

I'll link up with Kathy's Quilts... I hope your week and my week goes smoothly ...

happy stitching-

carol fun 

I'll link up with Kathy's Quilts today... 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com