Monday, October 31, 2011

A design wall from a scatterbrained quilter

Well I found my camera. And where was it you ask? Hmmmm.. ok, when I ask my oldest son where something might be, he sarcastically answers "have you looked up my butt?" (I'm ok with this because sarcastic doesn't fall far from the sarcastic tree and I've been know to have similar answers.) However in this case his answer was very very close to the truth. I was literally sitting on my camera. It has fallen down in the crack of my recliner by the arm and somehow maneuvered itself in between the back cushions. But hey, I found it!

And that leads me to this pictures of my design wall that I have to show today. I know this looks nothing like my design wall last week and no I haven't finished that quilt. These blocks got unearthed (it is like an archeology dig in my sewing room) when I was trying to straighten up (with very limited success). These are 16 patch blocks I started back in the summer when I saw Crazy Mom Quilts 36 patch QAL. However, true to my scatterbrained tendency I didn't keep up with the QAL but I do have these to show for my abbreviated commitment.



Every blocks is a tone on tone yellow paired with a floral. Some are BIG scale....



others are smaller scale....



and ALL of this fabric is coming out of my stash so this is essentially a FREE quilt - LOL! (We do not need to discuss the fallacy of this line of reasoning.) Anyhow, now that I've put them up on my design wall on point I really really like this layout. And the 12 inch block now turns into a 17 inch block -- bigger is better, right?? Ok, not always but it works here. So I want to make this a BIG quilt - no surprise there - and it will get big quicker this way. I haven't decided yet if I will fill in the outside triangle spaces with more tone on tone yellows or just make more blocks and whack them off. Need to ponder that. At the moment I'm thinking the tone on tone yellows are the way to go since it seems to vibrate when you look at it (Stephie look away- I don't want to aggravate your vertigo).

Happy Halloween everyone- I'm off to answer the doorbell!

carol fun

6 comments:

  1. I like this! A LOT. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it. I love the choice of yellow for your neutral.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the warning, next time please post it BEFORE the picture:) Honestly I took one look and knew I had to scroll quickly for fear of a vertigo attack:) But I do love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Love it - although it made me a little dizzy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you found your camera!!!! I like your free quilt reasoning. Something I also tend to do when I do a stitching stash dive!! Love the quilt blocks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com