Friday, July 11, 2014

My philosophy of UFO's

I adhere to my own philosophy that it is vitally important that we all have UFOs- unfinished objects, WIPs - works in progress, Phds - projects half done. I practice what I preach and have many many many UFOs and I no longer feel any guilt about them. Why? Because when I rediscover a UFO and pick up that project again, I am already partially or sometime almost completely finished with it at that moment of rediscovery. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I charge headlong into that bright spot and crash into the oncoming train -ooops - maybe not the metaphor I was going for - LOL! What I mean is I am energized to finish and that energy has been strong the last three weeks where sock knitting was concerned. (Don't ask about the quilt tops or cross stitch - they are in their dormant phase of being UFO's... very important for their development.)

To begin, this pair is done! Yarn is Opal Rendezvous, an old discontinued collection. I love that the stripes are lots of different widths. I wish Opal would make a new collection like this.



Next, you may want to don your sunglasses. This is Regia Fluoromania. You can purchase it here if you have a wish to sear your eyeballs - LOL! I'm planning on getting another colorway of this yarn.


I love this spot where you get the bits of orange all broken up.



And three weeks ago I showed this sock in its unfinished state, another Regia yarn, Kaffe Fassett line using the Carolina pattern which is free here on Ravelry.



So what to knit next? Should I cast on the second sock for that Kaffe one I just finished? Or I could cast on the mate for this one I completed a while ago, Blue Moon Socks that Rock in that same Carolina pattern.


Decisions, decisions, decisions. I know I'll start a new totally different pair of socks like this one!


Isn't this wonderful yarn? It is a new to me yarn Sausalito by Crystal Palace. You can see it here, lots of colorways. This is colorway 8101. It is 80% wool/20% nylon and I like a bit of nylon in my socks. I LOVE how the colors shade in this sock with no abrupt changes. Now it isn't the easiest of yarns to knit with. It has 2 plys, each a different color, which gives it a tweedy look, but they aren't tightly plied together and it gets splitty easily. It annoyed me when I first started knitting it, but after seeing the colors develop I am willing to put up with that bit of nuisance for these results. In fact, I'm so willing to put up with it that I already cast on the 2nd sock and ordered yarn for two more pairs.

So go forth, knit, sew, crochet, quilt - don't feel guilty over the UFOs - their time will come!  LOL - now I'm a preacher. Oh makes me think of a favorite line from a local radio guy Gary Burbank. He did a character called the  Right Reverend Deuteronomy Skaggs who would preach, "Don't make me holler, don't make me shout, turn those pockets inside out!!" and "reach in those jeans, and pull out those greens."  Hey, at least I'm not asking for your money !

Happy knitting-
carol fun

13 comments:

  1. OMG, Gary Burbank is a scream! I'd fogotten about the dear Reverend. Too funny! Love those neon pair. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG you made my morning! What a fun and funny post. All your socks are fabulous. Life is too short to worry about those UFOs when there is new yarn to start working with. LOL You'll get to them eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful yarns -so bright and cheery.

    Share your feelings on PhD's

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. At some future time revisiting a UFO may be fortuitous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your socks are all wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very fun post. I'm right with you on the UFOs, that's for sure. I gave my grand daughter a birth sampler I'd started for her mom, and we won't say how many years it was,but it was in the last century. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not a knitter but your socks almost make me into one! I just love them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL!! Great post, Carol!! My fav for sure is the Kaffe sock cuz I'm a Kaffe kind of colorful girl!! And I thank you, Reverend Carol, for blessing allllllllll my UFOs, etc, etc, etc!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ALL of your socks are wonderful. Love each and every yarn. Good thing I don't have to pick my favorite! :D And I agree with the UFO's. It's fun to pull something out and have it partially finished. The only problem is if I can't find the pattern or remember where I stopped the project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your philosophy on UFO's, but I love the colors of your socks more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely adore your socks!! I love to wear brightly colored socks with my slacks at work. When I look at my feet and see them I feel happy. That's good enough reason for me! I like handmade instead of store bought, however I don't have the money for handmade. I've thought of taking up knitting, but I barely have time for quilting. I love your yarns and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all of your socks. I m going to make the carolina pattern it looks great

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant post! And wow, how productive are you - just think, if you'd used the same yarn a couple of times you'd have loads of pairs of socks by now, haha!!! Totally agree with you, I think it's a creative person's trait to have lots of things on the go at the same time - and I definitely don't feel guilty :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com