Sunday, August 4, 2024

An above average week for a Slow Sunday...

Hello ... well it last week was an above average week in many many ways... first off, my favorite topic to rant about, the weather... drum roll please... I have NOT WATERED for an entire week!!  First time for this event all year... it started with rain last Saturday night and has continued to rain at least once a day through today (I'm writing this on Saturday)... my garden is happy, my lawn is happy, I'm happy for my hopefully smaller water bill... now it has been hot and steamy as my frizzy hair and my aching knees can attest to, but with the help of good hair products and ibuprofen I can soldier on... LOL

And not having to water gave me extra time in my week for crafty stuff and I took advantage of it... let's recap it day by day, shall we?

Started off the week by FFO'ing (that fully finishing) not one, not two but three little cross stitch pillows. First was The Bee's Knees by Notforgotten Farms... he's a cute little guy...

front -

back-

display- 

he has a lovely social circle of cute salt and pepper shakers from Cracker Barrel... I found some new ones the other day at lunch that will show up in my Fall displays...

Second and third were my couple of chickens  from Lori Holt..

front- that's Myrtle on the left and Hattie on the right...

back- my hens lay brown eggs dontcha know?

display - 

aren't those roses pretty?  A bargain at Krogers, a dozen for $7 and the color is somewhere between a pink and a lavender.

Great way to start the week off... 

On Tuesday I had Elliott and bribed him to go to the basement with a new Lego... he was happy and in return I was able to get the binding on my Scratch quilt using the Sew and Sew collection from  Chloe's Closet. To refresh your memory the pattern was called Scratch and is in the Schnibbles 2 book. I started this quilt back in 2016... here's the post... and then it languished until June of 2023 when it  broke out from it's plastic bin... but it wasn't totally sewn together until August 2023... and now a year later it is totally done!!

I'm putting my neighbor's new fence to good use as a quilt rack...


close ups of some of my favorite pieces in the strippy parts... 




On Wednesday I ventured into new territory for me... I altered a judicial robe for my older son... now he ordered this online from a company with no pictures of the many different style of sleeves and I don't believe I've ever seen sleeves like this...

now that left sleeves is just bunched up, ignore it... the right sleeve show the wing-y hangy down piece... your arm comes out above that  and the whole assembly only had one seam... I have no clue how they did that... anyway those wing-y hangy down pieces had to go... and there was a ton of extra fabric in the back of the robe... I think I took out at least a foot and a half... 

Finished robe...


Looking much better, son is happy... he is starting a new job in 2 weeks where he will preside over his own courtroom as a Magistrate for the Hamilton County Ohio Court of Common Pleas. I am sooooo proud of him. He's been working toward this for 12 years. It has been a dream of his since law school to sit on the bench and he got his position through his hard work and his intelligence... he's a great trial lawyer... and like in any city there is a lot of nepotism that occurs to get this kind of job...except my son is no one's son, or nephew, or cousin... he doesn't have any of those connections ... he got this position on his merits... and have I said before how proud I am of him!!!  

Moving on to Thursday... my friend Stephanie came over as her sewing machine was giving her fits and she needed to get the binding on a quilt she had made to take to a birthday celebration this weekend. I was able to help her out and got the binding on it pretty quickly... we went out to lunch and I came home and I finished sewing all 36 blocks together for my Fat Quarter 4 Patch quilt done in the Basic Grey collection called Jolly Good...

this is BIG... about 90" square... I've been searching the internet for a Christmas-y wide back and I found these on Fat Quarter Shop's website... click here... debating between the  print with the Christmas carols or the red one with the little motifs.... as soon as this is available I'll be ordering it for the back.

On Friday I had a lovely clean design wall and I found another unfinished quilt project done is American Jane fabrics... what's that make 3? 4?  oh who's counting? not me!!  Anyway  this was another free pattern from FQS which you can find here... this is the only project I think I've done using the honeybun precut... 

I started this one back in May of 2021... I have 16 blocks finished... and two more partially done ... and a tray of strips left to play with...


This is my favorite blocks so far.. I like the randomness of it... the one strip of fabric had a bunch of different prints on it. I might make a couple more like this one using stuff from my stash... 



This would be a small lap quilt... I auditioned some sashing strips... 

this one is a bit dark...it is an AJ fabric



this one is a bit busy...this one is from Benartex as I remember..



and I think this one is just right...

close up ... it is a very pale yellow dot that has a bit of a greenish cast... 



I need to see how many blocks I can make. The pattern said you could get 20 blocks from one honeybun, but looking at that pile I think perhaps I had 2 honeybuns to begin with... 

Saturday wasn't quite as productive... had errands to do... wanted to go to Hobby Lobby as fabric is 40% off and there is a sales tax holiday here in Ohio until August 8. Picked up a couple of pieces of wide back fabric for my stash. 

So what's the plan for next week?... well I sincerely doubt I'll get that much done again ... Sunday evening I'm attending the Days in the Park celebration for my little town and I'll be getting my prize for the Beautification Award... the last couple of years it has been a $100 gift card to a local plant nursery... hope that is what it is as I LOVE free plants!!

Not a lot on my calendar for next week... have Elliott on Tuesday and a hair appointment on Thursday... I hardly cross stitched at all last week so maybe I'll get back to it. There will definitely be watering of the gardens as there isn't a drop of  rain in this week's forecast...  the summer seemed to have raced by... kids go back to school around here mid-August... Elliott's first day of kindergarten is August 13th... he is an intelligent and curious child... sometimes too curious... he will be the kind of student teachers remember for years... and will see what it is they remember... LOL

I'll link up with Kathy's Quilts and Quilting is more fun than Housework today... hope your upcoming week is creative and fun... 

happy stitching-

carol fun 

4 comments:

  1. Not that you asked my opinion but I like the Christmas Carol backing.
    And congratulations to your son!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness - so much accomplished when you don't need to water daily! Congratulations to your son on his Judicial appointment. I just love your cross stitch chickens. They are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big congratulations to your son. It’s so good to read of a son or daughter achieving their dream and doing it on merit. Also, wonderful tailoring job there proud Mom. Is it proper to thank him for the service he will be rendering to the community? Yes I think so!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a newsy post! And I've found another Ohio quilter and blogger! I'm from your neck of the woods - born in Hillsboro and living now over towards Chillicothe. Anyway, pleased to meet you! Congratulations to your son; you have every reason to be proud. Love your cross-stitched chickens. Should you ever need American Jane remnants, I can help you out! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com