Wednesday, April 11, 2012

WIP Wednesday

And now for something a bit different in my cross stitching life, I'll show you this sampler I just started on..



It is a French chart from Tournicoton called Historie de Lettres. I don't think I've seen any other samplers that have this almost cursive style of lettering and it really appealed to me. It is about 180 degrees different from the BBD stuff I've been working on and it is a nice change of pace.



It calls for DMC flosses which I'm using except for the letters themselves. Instead of DMC 815 I using Sampler Threads The Gentle Art Claret. I don't know how clearly you can see it but I love the border. It has an edging in a lime-y green (DMC 166) and a light lavender (DMC 211) - colors I don't think I've ever used before but I particularly like that lime-y one.

And now for a little (well maybe not so little) rant - when I purchased this pattern I saw a lovely photograph of in on the vendor's website (I don't remember who I actually purchased it from online). But when the pattern came the "picture" on the cover is a computer generated kinda sketch that really isn't attractive at all. If this was all I had to see when I chose it, well I wouldn't have chosen it. I keep having to go and look up a photo of the piece online to see how it is shaping up. In fact the cover of the pattern is so "sketchy" you can't even make out what some of the motifs are - is that a bird or a shoe???

Also do not trust the labels on the hand dyed flosses that say "Colorfast". I'm always skeptical of any reds and even those this Claret said "Colorfast" I gave it a quick dunk in water and laid it on a paper towel and there was definitely dye run off. Ugh -- so I rinsed it several more times and it seemed to help. I had a bad experience years ago with a burgundy hand dyed floss that ran so I always check out the bright ones before I stitch with them. I rinse, put them on a paper towel to see if they run and repeat the process if they do. Then I fold then in a clean paper towel and use my steam iron to set and dry them. I haven't had any problems with dye running when I do this. Since I don't use a hoop my pieces get quite wrinkly and the only way I know to get wrinkles out of linen is to use a little steam so I need to know that the floss won't be affected by a bit of moisture.

And to finish this rant - what's up with Blogger again? I upgraded reluctantly to their new format, I'm using Google Chrome and I can't get this post to show up as a preview. Some how it is easier to see any errors when I view it in "preview" so I hope this one is ok.

Happy stitching-
carol fun

9 comments:

  1. Your needle work is beautiful, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogger - love to hate it! I like your new sampler Carol - I too have it in my stash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this start ~ but the photo issue seems like it would be a pain.
    Sorry blogger has given you fits ~ hope it all gets worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogger is a pain! I should let you know that I tried to comment on your post about your quilt (very pretty), and I got a warning that there was Malware associated with one of your blogs. I scooted out of it so I can't tell you which blog you follow it was. I didn't get the warning this time so hopefully all is okay.

    About the red threads, I've heard that a little vinegar in the water will help set them. And I've also learned - never trust the color red!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I can't wait to see your finish.

    Too bad about the photo. What a pain in the butt to have to keep going back and forth! Hang in there, it will be worth it in the end (no pun intended!).

    It's always so fun visiting with you...I just never know what I will see, but I always know it will be something pretty.

    Blessings always

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am betting this is going to be a beauty despite your headaches with the picture. Blogger has been giving me fits too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As Deb said, a little vinegar. I would rinse it several times, then on the last one, add just a tablespoon of vinegar to about 1-2 cups water. Let it sit for about 5 min. then rinse well with cold water. Should do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love that border too and those letters are so graceful - pretty! So glad you forged ahead. Thank you too for the tips on colorfastness. I'm ready for something with some color to it after working on my current earthtones project. Alas, I think my next one is a windmill. LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!