Monday, January 28, 2013

Slow but steady progress on Design Wall Monday

Life has been a blur since last Thursday. Lots of family activities to attend that were mostly unplanned but lots of fun. However, it left no time to stitch or knit or sew during the weekend. I definitely hope to change that pattern this week.

I did achieve a little progress earlier in the week on my Scrappy Trip quilt - 4 more blocks for a total of 12. If I make 36, I'm 1/3 of the way complete. I know its not much. but I'm looking for some level of achievement here - LOL!


I have to say I am loving it! Now this is the 3rd week I've worked on this and the 3rd different design pattern I've tried. I think 3rd time is the charm. I really like the concentric rings of color. There is a bit of variety because while the yellow, orange and black/white rings stick with different tones the one color family, for the reds I sometimes substituted pink and for the blue I've sometimes used purple and for the greens sometimes I used aqua. This has allowed me to paw through even more of my stash which is a lot of fun.

This week I added scissors and some polka dot chickens...



and some dancing ducks and a funky pig...


and some happy pigs!


Now the duck and pigs are from an old line of fabric from KP Kids by Kari Pearson for SSI Fabrics. Does anyone else remember KP Kids? I love her style - lots of cute animals wearing clothes. I don't know what there is about an animal all dressed up but I can't resist them. I have a couple of pieces that have pigs dressed as farmers and another with ballerina pigs. I recently saw a new collection of KP Kids fabric which featured cute bugs but it is the pigs that really make me smile.

Don't forget to check out Patchwork Times for more great looking design walls.

Happy stitching-
carol fun


21 comments:

  1. I think it looks great! I love that you're using the same basic color pattern with different fabrics in each block. Great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this - so much fun and color. A great way to keep the kids occupied too...., can you find the pig with a polka dotted ribbon on her head .... hours of quiet time !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your quilt is looking lovely from afar and thanks for showing some close ups of the small squares they are too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty.......and yes, I think that this layout would be perfect for these blocks. Funny, I tried the diagonal layout, but forgot about the 'big trips' layout. Just as well, as I made one of the big trips years ago, the harder way. I won't say THE hard way, since I did atleast use a rotary cutter while cutting out all of the individual squares !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always a treat to see your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this, looks great. Your post about color substitution is very helpful. Thanks! Btw, found your site through Judy's linkup today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great scrappy quilt and is coming along nicely. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your layout. I have one of these in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this bright quilt! Good selection of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful blocks. Love the colors and your use of unusual fabrics. Bright and fun, my favorite kind of quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the layout. I also like how you are using the same colors in the blocks. I might want to try that some time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is soon great. Looks like fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The patches are so cute and the quilt so pretty and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your scrappy trip blocks look great! Love those dressed up pigs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks wonderful.

    Greetings, Manuela.

    ReplyDelete
  16. From far away you would never know there are scissors, and pigs and chickens in those blocks. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  17. THAT!! is awesome! I love your design layout - I still have blocks from our block drive - can I steal that layout? ( ok I may do it anyways *grin*)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really enjoy reading your comments. They make my day!
If Google won't let you leave a comment feel free to email me at cfunliu@aol.com