It looked so cool and summery and I wanted a new wreath for my front door and it looked easy and quick... so I jumped in. Here's my version...
Now I couldn't find the turquoise striped mini cupcake liners she used but I did find these multi-color mini cupcake liners in the cake decorating department at Wallyworld. Here's close up of how they look flattened out.
Even though you flatten them out there is a lot of the white reverse side that shows and I'm not sure I like that but I went with it. I added the orange butterflies for some interest.
Now for my caveat on this project... it wasn't too expensive as I already had a Styrofoam wreath and some ribbon. The cupcake liners cost about $1.75 for 100 and I used somewhere between 200 - 250. The pins weren't expensive either until I ran into problems. It takes a while to flatten the liners and pin them into a Styrofoam wreath...I first covered my wreath with some orange ribbon I had on hand. However my choice of straight pins was not ideal. I picked up some inexpensive short applique pins at Wallyworld thinking I didn't want to go all the way through the wreath. Hmmmm... not good. Not enough length in the pin to get a good bite of the wreath and the small heads sometimes just went through the liner leaving a hole as the liner fluttered to the floor...grrrrrr! So I got more pins, cheap ones with a bigger longer length and large glass/plastic heads and ended up repinning the entire wreath, which effectively made the whole project take twice as long... and therefore while interesting and fairly inexpensive, it was not a fast project. Live and learn from my mistakes...if I ever make another one I'll just buy pins with the bigger heads the first time around.
I'm not sure how this would hold up to a lot of weather. My wreath hangs on my door behind my storm door on my front porch which is pretty sheltered. I wonder if eventually the humidity may cause the liners to get a bit limp but so far so good.
So go and spent some time
happy stitching and crafting!